The Lakers Discussion Thread

Re: The Lakers Discussion Thread

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:25 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:The Lakers aren't trying to be the Warriors to beat the Warriors -- I think they're going to resemble the 90s Bulls more than anything. That being said, here's our Paxson/Kukoc/Kerr:

Interesting stuff on Svi. Remember, there is still 5.5 mil in cap space left and many free agents left on the market. I'm hoping (maybe praying a little bit) that Brook Lopez takes that money on a one year deal. Maybe they can even sign Wayne Ellington to the vet min. Signing Bonga to a guaranteed contract was interesting. Maybe we only sign one more free agent to fill out the staff unless a trade is still being worked on for Kawhi Leonard. Whatever.

Rajon Rondo made some insightful comments yesterday, but this is the one I liked the best:

“Obviously a lot of teams are shooting the three ball,” he responded. “But I think it’s kinda crazy if you think you’re going to outshoot Golden State at this point. They proved it three or four years straight that no team can really shoot with them. There’s other ways you have to try and beat those guys, and I think we’re going to try and crack that code.”

It has always been my opinion that you can't be them to beat them. No, you have to "crack that code" another way. With LeBron having cracked that code already (pre-KD, of course), perhaps he suggested to Magic Johnson that the Lakers try to sign guys like Rondo, Javale McGee and Lance. After all, LeBron has had his playoff battles with all three of those guys and know what they bring to a team.

Rondo also said:

“We might have a roster where there’s five ballhandlers on the court at one time,” he shared. “Five guys that can play make and create offense for each other versus just one dominant ballhandler. So we’re very versatile, and I don’t think you’ll be able to scout and stick to one game plan as far as trying to stop a certain player.”

Now that's some code cracking shit!

Rondo is one smart dude. We have alot of Good players = Kuzma, Ingram, Lonzo, Rondo, KCP, Lance, etc. and one Great one in LeBron. This season is going to be fun. I wish we had at least one more Great 3 point shooter to help spread the floor but it is what it is. I am hoping this will be the season that Brandon Ingram breaks out into an All-Star and becomes a Great 3 point shooter. I see no reason why we can't win 50 games with the guys we have though. I am not sure what Seed 50 wins will bring? It could be a 3rd or a 6th in the West. Next summer will be when Magic puts the final nail in the coffin and we get LeBron's Robin, unless we still trade for Kawhi now. It would be great to be able to get Klay Thompson in Free Agency next summer if we don't get Kawhi. Thompson has ties to the Lakers as his dad played for them and is loved by the organization. Signing Thompson would do 2 things, give LeBron his Robin and take him away from the Warriors making them weaker, that alone may be better than trading for or Signing Kawhi. He is a deadly 3 point shooter to boot.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Josh Hart is the consensus Summer League MVP so far!!! Between Zo, Kuz, Ingram and Hart, we may have the baby ballers that LeBron needs to not only win 50+ and get a 6th or 7th seed (no one wants an 8th), but to legitimately gel on the quick (Jello's jigglin!) and slap Houston back as the #1 threat to the mighty Dub-sacks! It's a strange time in Laker Land - stranger than Nash, Dwight, CP3, Odom, Malone and Payton - but hey it's the name on the front of the jersey that we care about, right?
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:11 am

lakerevolution wrote:Josh Hart is the consensus Summer League MVP so far!!! Between Zo, Kuz, Ingram and Hart, we may have the baby ballers that LeBron needs to not only win 50+ and get a 6th or 7th seed (no one wants an 8th), but to legitimately gel on the quick (Jello's jigglin!) and slap Houston back as the #1 threat to the mighty Dub-sacks! It's a strange time in Laker Land - stranger than Nash, Dwight, CP3, Odom, Malone and Payton - but hey it's the name on the front of the jersey that we care about, right?

The game has changed and young, fresh legs are becoming more important than ever. We will go into the season with young talent, with Brandon Ingram poised for a breakout season and Kyle Kuzma, Lonzo Ball and Josh Hart elevating their games with an NBA season under their belts and a summer to strengthen their bodies and work on their games (except for Lonzo's knee injury, so he won't have as much court time). BTW, I think a wildcard in all this will be the improvement of Ivica Zubac, now in his third season and having learned a hard lesson last season after not giving 100% last summer. I bet he comes back with more bulk and as great a determination as any of his other young teammates. Add the energy and athleticism of Javale McGee and Lance Stephenson and the genius of Rondo and, with LeBron leading us, we have a chance of "cracking that code."

So I guess we're The LeBrons now. How weird.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:00 pm

This notion by Lakers fans that LeBron can play Center is utterly ridiculous. He isn't Magic Johnson, Magic was a better post up player (an Inch taller) and had a hook shot so he could play some Center. LeBron will play the 3 or 4. LeBron has never played Center in his entire career so yeah it would make sense to play him at Center now?? :WTFface: We still need a Center IMO. I would roll with McGee for now as my starter and actually give Wagner minutes who is 7'0 and can shoot the 3. Play LeBron at PF, Ingram at SF, Hart at SG, Lonzo at PG. Kuzma = 6th man, KCP = 7th man, Lance 8th man - he can play SG or SF, Rondo 9th man with he and Lonzo getting all the minutes at PG. LeBron seems to like Hart alot so I would start Hart.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:48 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:This notion by Lakers fans that LeBron can play Center is utterly ridiculous. He isn't Magic Johnson, Magic was a better post up player (an Inch taller) and had a hook shot so he could play some Center. LeBron will play the 3 or 4. LeBron has never played Center in his entire career so yeah it would make sense to play him at Center now?? :WTFface: We still need a Center IMO. I would roll with McGee for now as my starter and actually give Wagner minutes who is 7'0 and can shoot the 3. Play LeBron at PF, Ingram at SF, Hart at SG, Lonzo at PG. Kuzma = 6th man, KCP = 7th man, Lance 8th man - he can play SG or SF, Rondo 9th man with he and Lonzo getting all the minutes at PG. LeBron seems to like Hart alot so I would start Hart.

Lakers Depth Chart
PG Lonzo, Rondo
SG Hart, KCP, SVI
SF Ingram, Lance (I wish we could get rid of Deng)
PF LeBron, Kuzma
C McGee, Wagner, Zubac
-I can see Kuzma playing a little SF as well for a few minutes if need be. If LeBron does play any Center at all, I am thinking it will be for like 4 or 5 minutes a game just to switch things up to throw opponents off.

-Even without a legit Good TRUECenter, I see this as a 52 win team and a 3 or 4 Seed in the West possibly. As long as we avoid the Warriors until the WCFinals it's all good.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:44 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:This notion by Lakers fans that LeBron can play Center is utterly ridiculous. He isn't Magic Johnson, Magic was a better post up player (an Inch taller) and had a hook shot so he could play some Center. LeBron will play the 3 or 4. LeBron has never played Center in his entire career so yeah it would make sense to play him at Center now?? :WTFface: We still need a Center IMO. I would roll with McGee for now as my starter and actually give Wagner minutes who is 7'0 and can shoot the 3. Play LeBron at PF, Ingram at SF, Hart at SG, Lonzo at PG. Kuzma = 6th man, KCP = 7th man, Lance 8th man - he can play SG or SF, Rondo 9th man with he and Lonzo getting all the minutes at PG. LeBron seems to like Hart alot so I would start Hart.

I'm sure the FO has its eye on someone, but is in no rush. I'd be happy if they brought back Channing Frye. Oh, and I'll say it again. Ivica Zubac will not be chopped liver this season. It's his third year and he'll be ready to go!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:55 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:

I'm sure the FO has its eye on someone, but is in no rush. I'd be happy if they brought back Channing Frye. Oh, and I'll say it again. Ivica Zubac will not be chopped liver this season. It's his third year and he'll be ready to go!

Oh hell I forgot about Frye. See my Depth Chart above, I included Zubac as I am like you and think he has potential. I just don't want LeBron playing Center. LeBron hasn't played it much at all in his career. He can dominate PF's though.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:24 pm

Watched the game tonight. Hart is a real gamer who likes to score and isn't a punk. He'll likely lead the summer squad to an MVP-caliber repeat and be a part of our surprising return to the quarter-finals this year. Write that down!
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:11 am

lakerevolution wrote:Watched the game tonight. Hart is a real gamer who likes to score and isn't a punk. He'll likely lead the summer squad to an MVP-caliber repeat and be a part of our surprising return to the quarter-finals this year. Write that down!

One thing that no one is talking about is the fact that LeBron is going to finally endure a full season in the Western Conference. It won't be an 82 game cakewalk for him; he will actually have to expend energy. I'm sure Luke has a plan to limit his minutes. Josh Hart is a bull in a China shop and the way he looked at the end of last season and how he is toying with the youngsters in Summer League leads me to believe that he can comfortably take some of LeBron's minutes.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:26 pm

Josh Hart definitely looks comfortable being aggressive in the paint, but I don't think he's anywhere near spelling LeBron. He likes to be passed to, and I don't see a lot of court vision from him in regards to looking for open teammates. Lonzo and Ingram are our two most cohesive ball handlers now, and let's face it - there's really no filling in for LeBron. The offensive attack simply has to switch to multi-player mode until LeBron can get back on the court . . BUT that's kind of what we want, because this 3-4 year "plan" is to improve the entire team, to the point where LeBron isn't entirely needed to be a perennial playoff contender. By the time he retires, we'll have another couple mega-stars under contract who want to follow in Kobe and LeBron's footsteps.

That being said, Hart has definitely shown he's ready to play with the big boys. I'm quite sure LeBron is licking his chops with all the upgrades from Cleveland he's got on his new squad. Anything short of 50 wins and a 7th seed is going to be a disappointment.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:49 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Josh Hart definitely looks comfortable being aggressive in the paint, but I don't think he's anywhere near spelling LeBron. He likes to be passed to, and I don't see a lot of court vision from him in regards to looking for open teammates. Lonzo and Ingram are our two most cohesive ball handlers now, and let's face it - there's really no filling in for LeBron. The offensive attack simply has to switch to multi-player mode until LeBron can get back on the court . . BUT that's kind of what we want, because this 3-4 year "plan" is to improve the entire team, to the point where LeBron isn't entirely needed to be a perennial playoff contender. By the time he retires, we'll have another couple mega-stars under contract who want to follow in Kobe and LeBron's footsteps.

That being said, Hart has definitely shown he's ready to play with the big boys. I'm quite sure LeBron is licking his chops with all the upgrades from Cleveland he's got on his new squad. Anything short of 50 wins and a 7th seed is going to be a disappointment.

Wait a minute. LeBron, Lonzo and Rondo are easily among the top 10 ball distributors in the NBA. So in terms of Josh Hart, he's strong and effective enough on offense to eat up some of those rest minutes with guys who share the ball while LeBron rests, and that includes Lance, too. That's all I am saying. If Kuzma is on the floor with Josh, Lance and Rondo, LeBron can comfortably rest. I hope.
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Svi and Hart were champs tonight. Check out the highlights
Julius Russell

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 am

Julius Russell wrote:Svi and Hart were champs tonight. Check out the highlights

Cool lead-in by ESPN -- Hart has all but locked up the MVP, and Svi is on the rookie radar now. I gotta say . . our squad is looking like it could not only be something super-special for the next few years, but pose a legitimate threat to the best team(s) in the NBA. I'm going to stop worrying about the Celtics now :nervousalot: .

www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24116858/nb ... vs-blazers
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:21 am

Hart laid a HUGE egg, going 0-6 from deep (Lakers shot 14% from 3) and getting shelled by the Blazers, who never trailed all game. Hart still gets summer MVP and is officially on the 6th man watch list.

So Kawhi to the East, to a team that may or may not pose a threat to the Celtics. Guess his LA dream didn't include LeBron.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:02 am

lakerevolution wrote:So Kawhi to the East, to a team that may or may not pose a threat to the Celtics. Guess his LA dream didn't include LeBron.

Don't really know what you meant by the LeBron comment. The Spurs had control of this and preferred to remain competitive by acquiring DeRozan and shipping Kawhi out of the West. Who know what goes through Kawhi's head. There are conflicting reports from him wanting to play with the Lakers (and yes, with LeBron), to not caring whether he plays for the Lakers or Clippers as long as it's in LA, to him preferring the Clippers so he can be "the guy", to talking to other 2019 FAs to team up somewhere and not necessarily in LA (e.g., Brooklyn will have cap space). I have read literally ALL of these RUMORS. Personally, I'm glad that the kids are going to have the chance to develop alongside LeBron, although I wish one of those kids was Randle, yet KCP at 25 gets to be a "kid" again. If Kawhi wants out of Toronto, there's always a chance of a Pau-like trade that catapults the Lakers mid-season. We have a bunch of expiring contracts and the Raptors wanted out of DeRozan's contract to rebuild unless they can talk Kawhi into loving them. Masia Uriji is the GM equivalent of Sam Presti; one of the best in the business. He is betting on himself. We'll see.
KobeMVP888

PreviousNext

Return to LakerTalk