Game 34: 12/29/17 Clippsterns at Lakers at GAME THREAD

Game 34: 12/29/17 Clippsterns at Lakers at GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:27 am

(14-19)Image at Image(11-22)

Friday, December 29, 2017, 7:30 PM PDT
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA

Referees: James Williams (#60), Brent Barnaky (#36), Brett Nansel (#44)

Replay Center: Scott Foster, Gediminas Petraitis, Aaron Smith

Line: OFF

Image FOX SPORTS WEST

GAME PREVIEW: CLIPPSTERNS AT LAKERS

by NBA.com

LOS ANGELES -- Five-time All Star forward Blake Griffin will be a game-time decision when the Los Angeles Clippers play the Los Angeles Lakers at Staples Center on Friday.

Griffin has missed the past 14 games because of a sprained left knee, which he sustained in a 120-115 victory against the Lakers on Nov. 27. He was originally expected to miss eight weeks, but has made rapid progress in his rehabilitation.

"I just know his work ethic has to have something to do with it," Clippers coach Doc Rivers said. "He gets a lot of heat for getting injured, but no one gives him credit for getting healthy. He works his butt off like no one I've ever seen."

Griffin went through a thorough workout before the Clippers defeated the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday for their third win in the past four games. On Wednesday, he practiced with the Clippers G League affiliate, the Agua Caliente Clippers of Ontario, and rejoined his Los Angeles teammates for another practice Thursday.

"We'll see," Griffin told the Southern California News Group of his availability against the Lakers. "We're taking it day by day."

Griffin is averaging 21.7 points and 9.1 rebounds in 26 career games against Los Angeles. He's shooting 51.7 percent from the floor and 15 for 33 from 3-point range in those games.

The Clippers (14-19) have won 20 of their past 22 games against the Lakers dating to the start of the 2012-13 season. In addition to the win on Nov. 27, the Clippers beat the Lakers 108-92 in the season opener.

The Lakers (11-22) remain without two injured starters, rookie point guard Lonzo Ball (sprained shoulder) and veteran center Brook Lopez (sprained ankle), and have lost four straight and seven of their past eight.

Brandon Ingram returned Wednesday after missing two games with injuries to his quads and the team's second-leading scorer (16.3) produced 23 points in 44 minutes of a 109-99 loss to the visiting Memphis Grizzlies.

Lakers leading scorer Kyle Kuzma (17.8) took a season-high 24 shots against Memphis, but the rookie forward made just four, perhaps showing fatigue after playing at least 40 minutes in four of the previous five games.

Kuzma is listed as questionable for Friday's game because of a quad injury.

"I didn't think he was tired going into the game, but he's played a lot of minutes, and here we are getting to the dog days of an NBA season," Lakers coach Walton said after the game. "He's a rookie. He's never gone through this before. He's playing a lot of minutes, taking a beating every night, so fatigue is always a factor."

Kuzma said fatigue was not a factor in his performance Wednesday.

"I'm not going to make an excuse, basketball is basketball," he said. "Shots just didn't fall."

Six of the past seven losses for the Lakers have been by 10 points or less, and several of those outcomes would likely be different if they shot better from the free-throw line. Los Angeles has combined to miss 67 free throws in the past seven games, shooting 64.2 percent from the line in that span to drop its season mark to 68.9, last in the NBA.

"Individually, we're shooting hundreds of free throws in practice," Lakers forward Larry Nance Jr. said. "It's just one of those things that we're working, we're drilling it, and it doesn't get better overnight."

http://www.nba.com/games/20171229/LACLAL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 34: 12/29/17 Clippsterns at Lakers at GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:31 am

Tough to conceive that at the NBA level a team could be under 69% from the FT line. Why are we last? Do rookies and younger players shoot worse on average than veterans? Is it a sign we just have poor shooters on our squad? Unfortunately, it's not likely that our %s from the line, the field and from downtown will increase dramatically with the same group of players, and that right there is a direct path to losing maybe 15-20 more games than we should, if not more. It's a make or miss league, and our record shows where we are in that equation. Getting some high % paint scorers is priority #1.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:48 am

lakerevolution wrote:Tough to conceive that at the NBA level a team could be under 69% from the FT line. Why are we last? Do rookies and younger players shoot worse on average than veterans? Is it a sign we just have poor shooters on our squad? Unfortunately, it's not likely that our %s from the line, the field and from downtown will increase dramatically with the same group of players, and that right there is a direct path to losing maybe 15-20 more games than we should, if not more. It's a make or miss league, and our record shows where we are in that equation. Getting some high % paint scorers is priority #1.

Once again Rev I agree. That is why we need a guy like JJ Redick in the offseason and a guy like Cousins - a SuperStar who can draw double teams leaving guys open. We should've never got rid of Lou Williams, absolute blunder IMO. It is what it is at this point. As to who wins this game tonight, Sterns probably win and their Roster is crap now when Griffin doesn't play.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:06 am

lakerevolution wrote:Tough to conceive that at the NBA level a team could be under 69% from the FT line. Why are we last? Do rookies and younger players shoot worse on average than veterans? Is it a sign we just have poor shooters on our squad? Unfortunately, it's not likely that our %s from the line, the field and from downtown will increase dramatically with the same group of players, and that right there is a direct path to losing maybe 15-20 more games than we should, if not more. It's a make or miss league, and our record shows where we are in that equation. Getting some high % paint scorers is priority #1.

It makes absolutely no sense. To a man, they are letting a whole bunch of shit creep into their collective craniums. It reminds me of baseball when an entire team catches fire or when their bats go dead. Yes, I think there's a correlation between shitty shooters and shitty free throw shooters, too.

As for 3Peat's Lou Williams comment, man do I ever agree 100%. Lou turned into Corey Brewer, Josh Hart and Thomas Bryant. If we didn't make the deal, we could have kept David Nwaba and could have probably bought a draft pick if we really wanted Bryant. Josh Hart is solid, but is he special? Hopefully Magic will beg and plead Lou to come back to the Lakers next season as he is an unrestricted free agent. Yeah, right. Lou was Magic's first move and couldn't trade him fast enough. I will never understand that deal.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:21 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:

It makes absolutely no sense. To a man, they are letting a whole bunch of shit creep into their collective craniums. It reminds me of baseball when an entire team catches fire or when their bats go dead. Yes, I think there's a correlation between shitty shooters and shitty free throw shooters, too.

As for 3Peat's Lou Williams comment, man do I ever agree 100%. Lou turned into Corey Brewer, Josh Hart and Thomas Bryant. If we didn't make the deal, we could have kept David Nwaba and could have probably bought a draft pick if we really wanted Bryant. Josh Hart is solid, but is he special? Hopefully Magic will beg and plead Lou to come back to the Lakers next season as he is an unrestricted free agent. Yeah, right. Lou was Magic's first move and couldn't trade him fast enough. I will never understand that deal.

Yeah Lou was one of my favorite Lakers. I miss saying "SWEET LOU FOR 2" :roflmao: We still would've drafted/got Kuzma and I liked Nwaba to your point. The summer of 2018 is so huge, we can get guys like Cousins, PG, Redick, or maybe bring Lou back?? Tons of possibilities.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:10 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:.The summer of 2018 is so huge, we can get guys like Cousins, PG, Redick, or maybe bring Lou back?? Tons of possibilities.

It's not the possibilities that concern me, it's the probabilities in today's NBA where everyone wants to play for a winner. Call me Mr. Half Empty on this, but I don't see Very Good to Great players beating down our door to wear the purple and gold just because Magic Johnson is here.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:55 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:.The summer of 2018 is so huge, we can get guys like Cousins, PG, Redick, or maybe bring Lou back?? Tons of possibilities.

It's not the possibilities that concern me, it's the probabilities in today's NBA where everyone wants to play for a winner. Call me Mr. Half Empty on this, but I don't see Very Good to Great players beating down our door to wear the purple and gold just because Magic Johnson is here.

Players come for $$$. Contracts, endorsements (even smaller local ones we never hear about), a chance to be a part of great Laker history, and of course . . L.A.!! Honestly, what we're seeing right now is the first real REBOOT of a franchise that has gone through about 25 years worth of turmoil in the last 6 years. It's not "Magic got injured in the '91 Finals then retired because he had HIV" turmoil, nor is it "Kobe ran Shaq outta town and went bareback on a hotel slut" turmoil, but it is a definite test that Jeannie, Magic and Rob must pass. We have the Warriors in our division, so getting into and deep in the playoffs is still a few years off, fate notwithstanding.

Jerry West had to pull masterstrokes to validate the Kareem acquisition and usher in Showtime, Magic personally asked Jerry for Mitch Kupchak on the team, Mitch soaked up enough GM talent from Jerry to help build the Shaq/Kobe squad and (with a little more help from Jerry) mastermind the Pau and Lamar acquisitions, and now we come full circle with Dr. Buss' daughter and Magic working hard to restore the team to post-CBA/life-after-Kobe greatness.

A lot of our success hinges on coaching . . nobody saw commentator Pat Riley jumping the desk and taking the Lakers to historic efficiency, and nobody could envision Phil Jackson engineering not one but two multi-title runs. Is Luke the right stuff? Can he handle these youngsters, AND the veteran FAs who will certainly join our roster in the next couple of seasons? If he can't get this 100% healthy squad to play at the very least .400 ball by the last trimester of this season, he deserves to be questioned.

All that being said, I trust our FO to make whatever moves necessary to stock the team. By this time next season, I expect to be in a happier place.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:19 pm

Terribly unwatchable in every respect.
KobeMVP888

Postby Lakers4Life » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:27 pm

Yeah this is unwatchable
Lakers4Life

Postby Lakers4Life » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:28 pm

But I’m such a homer, I’ll watch just to see if we fight back
Lakers4Life

Postby Lakers4Life » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:58 pm

Slippers 62
Lakers 52

We’ve actually cut the lead down to only 10 points!!!
Lakers4Life

Postby Lakers4Life » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:01 pm

We’re only down 7
Lakers4Life

Postby Lakers4Life » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:03 pm

Love that I see fight in my team even when they could had easily given up
Lakers4Life

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:57 pm

We stunk tonight. Third regression game in a row. Do they miss Lonzo that much?
KobeMVP888

Postby Lakers4Life » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:33 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:We stunk tonight. Third regression game in a row. Do they miss Lonzo that much?

We actually played them even each quarter after the 1st quarter. But we never recovered being down that big deficit in the 1st
Lakers4Life

Next

Return to LakerTalk