2017-18 First Trimester Grades

2017-18 First Trimester Grades

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:37 am

Here is how I see it:

The Lakers' record: 10 - 17

C- (OK, got that outta the way)

The Lakers' progress at the 1/3 mark: I am really impressed and very excited about the future based on what I'm watching. Yeah, too many turnovers, but they play at the fastest pace in the NBA. The horrible free throw shooting and three point shooting is aggravating, but that will get better with time. They haven't learned how to finish games yet, but they're young and we can't expect that.

B

Luke and the coaching staff:

If I analyzed this strictly from individual categories, I would give a low grade, but the fact is that he is developing an identity and culture with a very young team and even though we have that shitty won-lost record, we are seemingly in every game with the exception of a rare few. All NBA teams have some stinkers, but we have been watching mostly competitive basketball. Luke has us competing for 48 mpg (for the most part) and, most important, our defense is vastly improved, we lead the league in points in the paint, the bench is outstanding and the growth of our young players is easy to see. With Lou, Nick Young and and D'Angelo Russell gone, we knew before the season even started that we would be one of the worst three point shooting teams in the league and unfortunately the NBA has become a game where you live by the three and die by the two, which I think is an abomination because it is just too unpure. My biggest criticism of Luke, and where I think we would have won a few of these games that we lost, is that he is playing Brick Lopez more minutes than Julius Randle, who has clearly been the more effective player thus far. I also believe that Randle should be starting and that Larry Nance should play significantly fewer minutes than Randle, Kuzma and even Lopez. For the most part, I think Luke has done a good job rotating his guards and I don't mind that Corey Brewer is in the rotation (and get that he energizes the youngsters and the kids love playing with him), but I also wouldn't mind seeing him play less. Some of Luke's in game coaching decisions have been poor, especially in the fourth quarter, but he has also coached brilliantly in the fourth quarter at times. The bottom line is that with each game, you can see the team becoming more confident and more cohesive, which is the most important thing right now.

B-

The Rookies

Lonzo Ball: I think he is doing as well as can be expected given that he has been handed the reigns to lead a young team. The young team is responding to him! Forget about his shooting (which improved significantly on this road trip), he has an excellent assist to turnover ratio, has been a very pleasant surprise defensively, is among the leaders of all rookies in assists and rebounds, and already has recorded two trip doubles and has come close a few more times. His free throw shooting has been horrible, but he rarely gets to the line. Obviously, he needs to improve finishing at the basket, needs to develop a floater and his three point shooting will also improve. The bottom line is that we are witnessing a player who will be an elite point guard in the league in a few years and his improvement is evident to the eyeball.

Kyle Kuzma: Sure, he looks human at times, like last night and a few games ago when he only scored 3 points, but there isn't a weakness in his game. He is our starting power forward of the future, a future all-star and the steal of the draft.

A+

Josh Hart: I love him. Although he is on my list of "tradable" players, what he already brings at the defensive end is impressive. He also finishes well and his three point shot is coming around. I see him as a Tony Allen type role player for years to come, only better. He is a proven winner, gives 110% on every play and he plays much more mature than his NBA years.

B+

Thomas Bryant: I am throwing him in here despite the fact that he hasn't played one minute of NBA action. The word is that he is playing great in the G League and that his face up game and three point shooting is a big plus. He's listed at 6'11" with a 7'6" wingspan. Here are his G League stats: 30.6 mpg, 21.5 ppg, 7.27 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.91 bpg, .91 spg. I hope he gets some burn with the big club in the second half of the season and I applaud the front office for deciding to bring him along slowly.

The Sophomores:

Brandon Ingram:

From Game 1 until now, I think we can all agree that we are witnessing the growth of a player who will be a 25 ppg scorer in 2-3 seasons and a probable future all-star. Like anyone else, he's had a few stinkers (like against the Knicks), but overall I am giddy about him.

A-

Ivica Zubac: With the exception of Brook the Brick, he might be my biggest disappointment, but with the emergence of Julius Randle as a solid small ball center at both ends of the court, there aren't minutes for this Marc Gasol-style young dinosaur. I think he will be traded.

Incomplete

The Third Year Players:

Julius Randle: Because he missed all but 14 minutes of his rookie season, this is his third season ... PERIOD. The work he put in over the summer has clearly paid off. He is one of the strongest players in the league and went from a questionable defensive player to an outstanding defensive player, both on the block and his screen-roll defense when he has to defend perimeter players. He is patient and has improved every aspect of his game with the exception of his mid-range and three point shooting, which will come with time. He should be complaining his ass off about not starting, but has accepted his role and is excelling. He will be absolute beast in 2 seasons!!! PLEASE DON'T TRADE HIM!

A

Larry Nance, Jr.: Great guy, team player, does the "little things," but I see him as flotsam who is stunting this team's growth because he's stealing minutes from Randle and Kuzma. When he is in the game, defenses get to play 5 on 4 because he is afraid to shoot the ball, knowing that his shot sucks. Defensively, while his goal is to be First Team All-Defense, it's average at best as was evident the other night against the Knicks when Porzingis ate him up and Kyle Kuzma did an outstanding job on the Unicorn. Perhaps there's a GM in the league who really values him, but I want him off the team. He was supposed to be Magic's "secret weapon," but in my view has been an impediment.

D

Fourth Year Player:

Jordan Clarkson: He is now 25 and is playing like someone who has figured out how to score in this league. With each passing game, his confidence grows and we have not seen his best basketball yet. While he won't be in the 6th Man of the Year conversation, he should be. I used to think he was trade bait and mediocre, but no longer. I hope we don't trade him.

A-

The Veterans:

Brook Lopez: What a huge disappointment! You'd think after playing on shitty Nets teams that he would know how to play with young players. Yeah, he's better than Mozgov and Hibbert before him, but he's a still a stiff. I would love to see Luke use him like Steve Kerr used to use Bogut and now Pachulia .. 6 minutes in each half and sparingly otherwise as needed. I don't want him back.

D

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope: Love him! His defense and energy are contagious and he's a fantastic fit alongside Lonzo Ball. His three point shooting should and could be better and more consistent, which is what knocks him down a tier compared with other NBA shooting guards. There won't be a way to keep him unless we strike out again in free agency and he signs another one year contract with a team option, which would give us his Bird Rights.

B+

Corey Brewer: He seems to love being a Laker and is clearly a positive influence on the youngsters. They love to play with him and he seems to relish playing with them. I'm ambivalent about him being in the rotation, but don't get upset when I see him in the game either. He plays solid defense and brings a ton of energy. It would not surprise me at all to see him back next season on a minimum contract.

B-

Andrew Bogut

A part of me would rather see him start ahead of Brook the Brick. He has played well in his limited minutes IMO. It's hard to grade him, but given all the rust, I've been impressed with what he has done.

B-

Tyler Ennis: Meh. I don't know why we signed him in the first place.

D

Luol Deng: Grrrrrrrr.

F (just because)

The Two Way Contract Guys:

Alex Caruso: Stinks.

F

Vander Blue: Really stinks.

F
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: 2017-18 First Trimester Grades

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Great stuff, I agree with most of it, I would probably give Lopez a C though and not a D. Yeah he has looked bad at times but he is miles better than Mozgov. Not sure Nance is a D either. Nance just has 2 guys better than him playing the same position in Kuzma and Randle. Other than that I like your assessments. Overall at 10-17 I would say a C- is pretty accurate like you said based on expectations, not quite a D. As of now I don't see us making the Playoffs though.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk