Game 27: 12/14/17 Lakers at Cavaliers GAME THREAD

Game 27: 12/14/17 Lakers at Cavaliers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:58 am

(10-16)Image at Image(20-8)

Thursday, December 14, 2017, 5:00 PM PDT
Quicken Loans Arena • Cleveland, OH

Referees: Scott Foster (#48), Tony Brown (#6), Justin Van Duyne (#64)

Replay Center: David Guthrie, Kevin Scott

Line: Cavs -9.5

National TV: TNT

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT CAVALIERS

by NBA.com

CLEVELAND -- There has been speculation, and it will come again, maybe soon, that LeBron James and Lonzo Ball could be teammates next summer.

On Thursday, though, James and Ball will compete against each other for the first time when the Cleveland Cavaliers host the Los Angeles Lakers.

"We have to get back in transition, I know that," James said, speaking of how his Cavs will have to prepare for Ball. "He's going to push the ball and he's going to throw it ahead and if we jog back, then they'll make us pay with a lot of their guys that love to run the floor -- (Kentavious) Caldwell-Pope, (Kyle) Kuzma, Jordan Clarkson, Julius Randle and the rest of those guys. So, he's always looking ahead."

The Cavs are rolling, winners of 15 of their last 16 games. James, in his 15th season and 11th with the Cavs, is putting up MVP numbers -- sitting third in the NBA in scoring (28.3 points per game) and assists (9.0).

Ball, 20, is a rookie on the Lakers who in November passed James as the youngest player to record a triple-double. He's averaging 8.9 points, 6.9 rebounds and 7.0 assists, but Los Angeles has lost six of its last eight games.

James can be a free agent at season's end, and though he reiterated in September that his intention is to finish his career in Cleveland, he'll assess his situation when the Cavs are done in 2018.

James currently has two homes (he'll sell one) in Los Angeles, and his business interests are headquartered there. But the Lakers remain far away from being a contender, they play in the same conference as the Golden State Warriors, and there is at least one big distraction on the Lakers now.

Ball's dad, LaVar, who has actually quarreled with James in the past, has been so critical of Lakers coach Luke Walton publicly that Lakers executives called a meeting with him to ask that he knock it off.

James said he likes Lonzo Ball, though.

"The kid hasn't said anything," James said, according to ESPN. "It's been everybody else. So, I love his humility. He goes out, every time someone asks him a question, he says, 'This is not about me, man. I just want to win. I don't care about what I did.' I seen he had a triple-double one game and they lost. He was like, 'I don't care. We lost.'"

Ball, speaking to reporters in New York on Tuesday, said he used to have a poster of James on his wall.

"In my opinion, he is the best player in the world," Ball said. "I just feel like he plays the game the right way. He probably can easily go out for 50 every night but focuses on his team, getting triple-doubles and (getting) guys involved. It is my first time playing him, I am looking forward to it, should be a lot of fun."

Ball, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2017 draft, has "a lot of pressure on him," Walton said, according to the New York Times.

"And that's just from being a starting point guard for the L.A. Lakers as a rookie," Walton said. "Obviously with how big he is in the social media world that exists now, everything that he does gets scrutinized by everybody."

For the Cavs, Dwyane Wade missed Tuesday's win over Atlanta with left knee soreness, and his status will be updated Thursday.

Cleveland has won six straight over the Lakers, the longest streak for the Cavs over L.A. in franchise history.

http://www.nba.com/games/20171214/LALCLE#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 27: 12/14/17 Lakers at Cavaliers GAME THREAD

Postby Moos » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Lakers this year playing to getting better for next . However, this team gave GSW all they could handle. They took a win in OT! Let's see how they handle Cleveland. L OR W....JUST ENJOY. ...
Moos

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:53 pm

After tonight the 1st Trimester is over, it would be great if we could beat LeBron in his house! I think we keep it close as the Lakers have been playing with great energy on this road trip. Time to order me a pizza and get ready for this thing. I finally have a night off work.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Luke, grab Kuzma by the collar and whisper menacingly to him, "Sweep the leg" like the teacher in Karate Kid. No LeBron, no mercy, no problem.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:45 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Luke, grab Kuzma by the collar and whisper menacingly to him, "Sweep the leg" like the teacher in Karate Kid. No LeBron, no mercy, no problem.

And sit Brook the Brick already. Other than him, no complaints. I hate the three so much. Randle should NOT be absorbing splinters in his ass.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Kuz, Clark and Ball 5-20 from deep . . was that the strategy, to beat em with 3s? No Pope Kentavius the First, but we stayed relatively close. Sigh.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:56 pm

We are 10-17 through the 1st Trimester. The Achilles Heel of this team is clearly our 3 point shooting (also we have no finisher at the end of games - like Lou Williams was). We need to add a couple of sharp shooters to the team because we cant keep up with most teams in shootouts. The NY game was a prime example of that, so was tonight's game. It's been like that in 7 or 8 of our losses this season. If we would've just kept Lou Williams I honestly believe we would be 5 games better right now and be 15-12 or so. He can make the 3 and we could keep up scoring wise with most teams with him. Magic has done a Good job so far in Drafting Lonzo, getting rid of MozGov's contract, drafting Kuzma late - Brillant, and trading the locker room cancer in Russell. Trading Lou is a head scratcher though. That was a Bad move!

Through the 1st Trimester at 10-17, I give us about a 10% of making the Playoffs this season. There are just too many other teams that are better than us right now. Thunder are currently an 8 Seed that is how deep the West is :roflmao:
3Peatkb24

Postby Moos » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:25 pm

Decent game until they started jackin up 3s in Q4. When they learn how to leverage their points-in-the-paint advantages and play the type of Q1 aggressive defense more consistently, they'll be alright.
Moos

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:57 pm

Moos wrote:Decent game until they started jackin up 3s in Q4. When they learn how to leverage their points-in-the-paint advantages and play the type of Q1 aggressive defense more consistently, they'll be alright.

We are 26th in the league in made 3's per game and last in % making them. Until we get any kind of 3 point game this team is going nowhere. Pacers are Good, you know why - they are 2nd in the league in 3 point% made and make over 10 a game. It's not rocket science. Whether people want to accept it or not, if you cant make the 3 you have no chance to be an Elite team in todays game.

Examples: - The 3 best teams in the league are the Warriors, Cavs, and Rockets IMO (most would agree with me) and those teams rank - 1 = Rockets, 2 = Warriors, and 3 = Cavs in 3 pointers made per game. The Celtics are 8th in made 3's per game but also have a stifling Defense - they are the 4th best team IMO. We are 26th in made 3's and last in % making them.
3Peatkb24

Postby Moos » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:25 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:
Moos wrote:Decent game until they started jackin up 3s in Q4. When they learn how to leverage their points-in-the-paint advantages and play the type of Q1 aggressive defense more consistently, they'll be alright.

We are 26th in the league in made 3's per game and last in % making them. Until we get any kind of 3 point game this team is going nowhere. Pacers are Good, you know why - they are 2nd in the league in 3 point% made and make over 10 a game. It's not rocket science. Whether people want to accept or not, if you cant make the 3 you have no chance to be an Elite team in todays game.

Examples: - The 3 best teams in the league are the Warriors, Cavs, and Rockets IMO and those teams rank - 1 = Rockets, 2 = Warriors, and 3 = Cavs in 3 pointers made per game. The Celtics are 8th in made 3's per game but also have a stifling Defense - they are the 4th best team IMO. We are 26th in made 3's and last in % making them.

What you said are true analytics. Also,turnovers are killing them, too. kinda surprised with the results, I mean, cavs were too hot ( 10+ 3's at the 1st half ) but we only lost by 9. Lakers are needs an authority type guy, if you know what I mean. "Mentor guy."
Moos

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:37 am

Moos wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:

We are 26th in the league in made 3's per game and last in % making them. Until we get any kind of 3 point game this team is going nowhere. Pacers are Good, you know why - they are 2nd in the league in 3 point% made and make over 10 a game. It's not rocket science. Whether people want to accept or not, if you cant make the 3 you have no chance to be an Elite team in todays game.

Examples: - The 3 best teams in the league are the Warriors, Cavs, and Rockets IMO and those teams rank - 1 = Rockets, 2 = Warriors, and 3 = Cavs in 3 pointers made per game. The Celtics are 8th in made 3's per game but also have a stifling Defense - they are the 4th best team IMO. We are 26th in made 3's and last in % making them.

What you said are true analytics. Also,turnovers are killing them, too. kinda surprised with the results, I mean, cavs were too hot ( 10+ 3's at the 1st half ) but we only lost by 9. Lakers are needs an authority type guy, if you know what I mean. "Mentor guy."

I am not even a big analytics guy which is funny but what I Posted is true unfortunately. I have faith in Magic and Rob as they will kill it in Free Agency IMO. Knowing Magic, we could even make a trade? Bottomline is we need guys that can make 3's. The only way a team can get away with being inept from 3 is, is if they have like a Top 3 Defense and 2 Big's that can dominate the paint like Memphis used to have.
3Peatkb24

Postby NuggetsCountry » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:49 pm

I canceled my NBA League Pass this year, so I only get to record national Lakers games. This was one. I have watched 3 quarters so far and the squad looks nice. Good young crew.

I am still out here looking in from time to time, but battling my local bureaucrats and health issues takes all my energy these days. :imok:
Image :yeahthat:
NuggetsCountry
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 7

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:59 pm

NuggetsCountry wrote:I canceled my NBA League Pass this year, so I only get to record national Lakers games. This was one. I have watched 3 quarters so far and the squad looks nice. Good young crew.

I am still out here looking in from time to time, but battling my local bureaucrats and health issues takes all my energy these days. :imok:

Yeah we have some young players that can play. We just need to add a shooter or 2 and it's on. Lonzo and Ingram both I really like, same for Kuzma.
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk