Game 20: 11/27/17 Lakers at Clippsterns GAME THREAD

Game 20: 11/27/17 Lakers at Clippsterns GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:29 am

(8-11)Image at Image(7-11)

Monday, November 27, 2017, 7:30 PM PDT
Staples Center • Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Scott Foster (#48), Jason Goldenberg (#35), James Williams (#60)

Replay Center: Mitchell Ervin, Jason Phillips, Scott Wall

Line: Clippsterns -4.5

Image Fox Sports West

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT CLIPPSTERNS

by NBA.com

LOS ANGELES -- The second matchup of the season between Los Angeles' NBA rivals will have far less hype than the original.

When the Clippers host to the Lakers on Monday night at Staples Center neither team will be sitting in the top eight spots of the Western Conference, and both will still be trying to put together the pieces.

The last time they met was the season opener for both, with the Clippers thinking positively thanks to a retooled roster and a defensive minded squad, and the Lakers excited to unveil rookie point guard Lonzo Ball.

Now, some five weeks after the Clippers started the season with a 108-92 victory, the search for consistency continues.

The Clippers (7-11) have been wracked with injuries, having already lost guard Patrick Beverley for the season following knee surgery. And the Lakers (8-11) are still trying to position Ball for a continued run of success.

Not only are the Clippers without Beverley, but they also are missing two other key players, forward Danilo Gallinari (hip) and guard Milos Teodosic (foot). Gallinari figures to be out another week to 10 days, while Teodosic might not be back until just before January.

The Clippers enter the Monday game on a mini two-game win streak, having just defeated the Sacramento Kings and the Atlanta Hawks. But that was preceded by a nine-game losing streak in which they allowed an average of 110.3 points per game.

"We'll take wins how you we can get them," said Clippers forward Blake Griffin, who scored a season-high 33 points and hit the winning shot with 3.2 seconds left in a 97-95 victory at Sacramento on Saturday. "And I would say even if we hadn't lost nine straight, it's the NBA, if you have a chance to win at the end, you take it. We played how we should play, and if that wasn't a good lesson for us, I don't know what will (be)."

As Ball's roller-coaster ride has continued, so has the Lakers' season.

Ball already has two triple-doubles in his team's first 19 games, evidence of his multi-dimensional abilities. However, he is shooting just 31.5 percent from the field and a woeful 25 percent from 3-point range.

"You get little opportunities here and there and you grow from those," Lakers coach Luke Walton said regarding to Ball. "You have vets that kind of take you under their wing and show you how it's done at this level, and it's more of a patient process."

The Lakers should be well rested Monday, having last played Wednesday. However, they were defeated 113-102 by the same Sacramento team that the Clippers upended Saturday. Before that loss, they won consecutive home games against the Denver Nuggets and Chicago Bulls.

Just when it seemed as if they were improving, the Lakers committed 17 turnovers against Sacramento. On defense, the Lakers watched the Kings score 31 points in the first quarter and 37 in the fourth, when Sacramento shot 15 of 19 from the field.

"We know there's going to be turnovers," Walton said. "I think our guys are good enough that those numbers should start coming down now."

The return of Larry Nance Jr. should help the Lakers' overall level of play. Nance has been out since Nov. 2 with a broken left hand, but he is targeting a return for the Monday game despite sustaining a cut over his eye. The facial injury occurred during a particularly physical practice Sunday.

http://www.nba.com/games/20171127/LALLAC#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 20: 11/27/17 Lakers at Clippsterns GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 am

First quarter coming to a close . . I know we usually grade in trimesters here, but I'll go ahead and give the team a C- for its overall performance so far. Gotta get this win tonight.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:55 am

lakerevolution wrote:First quarter coming to a close . . I know we usually grade in trimesters here, but I'll go ahead and give the team a C- for its overall performance so far. Gotta get this win tonight.

Harsh. Respectfully, Rev, that's a sign of impatience and being sick of all the losing that we're not accustomed to as fans of the P&G. I'm not looking at the record at this point, just the overall improvement. The most important thing is the improvement of team defense, which was the focal point of training camp. Considering the team's youth and the influx of new veterans, I'm giving that aspect an A. Turnovers and free throw shooting remain a big problem. With respect to the former, combining an up tempo offense with a focus on defense at the same time will naturally result in more turnovers by simple virtue of the fact that there are more possessions with a rush to score. That will improve with time, but they are pointed in the right direction. With respect to the free throw shooting, I cringe every time they miss one and there's no excuse at this level to shoot less than 80%, so there's my F. They would have won a few more games if they had simply hit there free throws. It's like having a shitty field goal kicker in the NFL. The other thing that bothers me is the impatience with Luke Walton, who I think is doing an admirable job (B-). He's playing three rookies in his rotation and is still trying to find the right combinations that work well together. Who thought that Julius Randle would become a rim protecting, defensive minded small ball center? At the rate he is improving, he will be better than Draymond Green and I hope the FO sees what I am seeing and figures out a way to keep him for the long haul.

My overall grade is a B-. Generally speaking, we have been in most of the games, have made comebacks in games where we have fallen behind in double digits and have even won a few of them. Sure, there have been a few stinkers like the recent Queens loss, but every mediocre team has those kind of games. Lonzo (20) is coming along better than people give him credit for, Kuzma (22) will be an all-star in the next few seasons and Brandon Ingram (20) is showing his potential.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:04 pm

lakerevolution wrote:First quarter coming to a close . . I know we usually grade in trimesters here, but I'll go ahead and give the team a C- for its overall performance so far. Gotta get this win tonight.

The Rev is being harsh. I will have to analyze it a bit and see if we win tonight. If we win that puts us 9-11 which record wise is a C = Average just 2 games below .500. I also go by where people had us projected. If we lose tonight that will suck because its against the ClipperSterns and as of now we have a better record.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:08 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:

Harsh. Respectfully, Rev, that's a sign of impatience and being sick of all the losing that we're not accustomed to as fans of the P&G. I'm not looking at the record at this point, just the overall improvement. The most important thing is the improvement of team defense, which was the focal point of training camp. Considering the team's youth and the influx of new veterans, I'm giving that aspect an A. Turnovers and free throw shooting remain a big problem. With respect to the former, combining an up tempo offense with a focus on defense at the same time will naturally result in more turnovers by simple virtue of the fact that there are more possessions with a rush to score. That will improve with time, but they are pointed in the right direction. With respect to the free throw shooting, I cringe every time they miss one and there's no excuse at this level to shoot less than 80%, so there's my F. They would have won a few more games if they had simply hit there free throws. It's like having a shitty field goal kicker in the NFL. The other thing that bothers me is the impatience with Luke Walton, who I think is doing an admirable job (B-). He's playing three rookies in his rotation and is still trying to find the right combinations that work well together. Who thought that Julius Randle would become a rim protecting, defensive minded small ball center? At the rate he is improving, he will be better than Draymond Green and I hope the FO sees what I am seeing and figures out a way to keep him for the long haul.

My overall grade is a B-. Generally speaking, we have been in most of the games, have made comebacks in games where we have fallen behind in double digits and have even won a few of them. Sure, there have been a few stinkers like the recent Queens loss, but every mediocre team has those kind of games. Lonzo (20) is coming along better than people give him credit for, Kuzma (22) will be an all-star in the next few seasons and Brandon Ingram (20) is showing his potential.

I go by every 20 games on grading basically and if we win tonight that puts us 9-11, at worse I say C but I have to look at it more closely. Man if we lose tonight and considering the opponent that isn't good.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:31 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:I go by every 20 games on grading basically and if we win tonight that puts us 9-11, at worse I say C but I have to look at it more closely. Man if we lose tonight and considering the opponent that isn't good.

Forget the record. Looking at defensive rating (6th), defending threes (2nd), points in the paint (1st), rebounds (6th), blocked shots (4th), steals (14th) and assists (12th). Unfortunately, our 3 point shooting and free throw shooting are the worst in the NBA, but who the fuck didn't know that would be the case going into the season (well, 3pt at least)? We lost Nick Young, Lou Williams and D'Angelo Russell, our only decent 3 point shooters. IMO, those are much easier fixes than defense and the other aforementioned stats where we have showed tremendous improvement since last season. The B- I gave us (regardless of tonight's outcome) seems a bit harsh, to be honest. An identity is coming into focus, which is by far the most important thing. The pieces of this puzzle will follow. I amend my grade to a B.
KobeMVP888

Postby Moos » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:33 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:I go by every 20 games on grading basically and if we win tonight that puts us 9-11, at worse I say C but I have to look at it more closely. Man if we lose tonight and considering the opponent that isn't good.

Forget the record. Looking at defensive rating (6th), defending threes (2nd), points in the paint (1st), rebounds (6th), blocked shots (4th), steals (14th) and assists (12th). Unfortunately, our 3 point shooting and free throw shooting are the worst in the NBA, but who the fuck didn't know that would be the case going into the season (well, 3pt at least)? We lost Nick Young, Lou Williams and D'Angelo Russell, our only decent 3 point shooters. IMO, those are much easier fixes than defense and the other aforementioned stats where we have showed tremendous improvement since last season. The B- I gave us (regardless of tonight's outcome) seems a bit harsh, to be honest. An identity is coming into focus, which is by far the most important thing. The pieces of this puzzle will follow. I amend my grade to a B.

Excellent as always- saved me several clicks going to another site looking up those statistics. I love working with numbers, good thing I stopped by here first. As far as grading this team, I'll give them a (B) all season long. Tonight's game, I think I won’t be praying for either team just to even the field. ...Go Lakers!!
Moos

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:14 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:Forget the record. Looking at defensive rating (6th), defending threes (2nd), points in the paint (1st), rebounds (6th), blocked shots (4th), steals (14th) and assists (12th). Unfortunately, our 3 point shooting and free throw shooting are the worst in the NBA, but who the fuck didn't know that would be the case going into the season (well, 3pt at least)? We lost Nick Young, Lou Williams and D'Angelo Russell, our only decent 3 point shooters.

I used to be a teacher, so I grade based on potential :thdown: :thumbsup: . With those kinds of stats/rankigs, if we put 40-42 minutes of high-level performance in with every tip-off, we'll stay above water - and with the pedigree we have from the front office to the coaching staff to the numerous Laker legends surrounding the franchise like Seraphim, being last in FT and 3pt % is absolutely inexcusable. Luke is right to limit the number of 3s taken per game, but in today's NBA 3-pointers are as intrinsic and valuable as getting points at the charity stripe. We're not trying to "get to .500" or even "make that 8th seed" -- we have to want to send a message to the West that we are up-and-coming fast.

Maybe it's a tread-water tactic by Magic, Rob and Luke in anticipation of the next two years' veteran prospects? Let 'em play, build up trade interest, return to perennial playoff status by November 2018 and flirt with title contention in 2019?

Before the Jello can jiggle, it has to gel. Hopefully these guys don't plan on chilling for too long before coming out of the fridge :eatpilgrim: :xmastree2:
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:24 pm

lakerevolution wrote:
KobeMVP888 wrote:Forget the record. Looking at defensive rating (6th), defending threes (2nd), points in the paint (1st), rebounds (6th), blocked shots (4th), steals (14th) and assists (12th). Unfortunately, our 3 point shooting and free throw shooting are the worst in the NBA, but who the fuck didn't know that would be the case going into the season (well, 3pt at least)? We lost Nick Young, Lou Williams and D'Angelo Russell, our only decent 3 point shooters.

I used to be a teacher, so I grade based on potential :thdown: :thumbsup: . With those kinds of stats/rankigs, if we put 40-42 minutes of high-level performance in with every tip-off, we'll stay above water - and with the pedigree we have from the front office to the coaching staff to the numerous Laker legends surrounding the franchise like Seraphim, being last in FT and 3pt % is absolutely inexcusable. Luke is right to limit the number of 3s taken per game, but in today's NBA 3-pointers are as intrinsic and valuable as getting points at the charity stripe. We're not trying to "get to .500" or even "make that 8th seed" -- we have to want to send a message to the West that we are up-and-coming fast.

Maybe it's a tread-water tactic by Magic, Rob and Luke in anticipation of the next two years' veteran prospects? Let 'em play, build up trade interest, return to perennial playoff status by November 2018 and flirt with title contention in 2019?

Before the Jello can jiggle, it has to gel. Hopefully these guys don't plan on chilling for too long before coming out of the fridge :eatpilgrim: :xmastree2:

If the trend of defensive excellence holds and we start hitting our free throws, star players who see the POTENTIAL of this team without a "ring now" attitude will come here. We ARE building something very tangible, so they WILL come! Magic has an easy sell here if we can keep up the 48 mpg approach.

Fake Magic: "You see what we need. Three point shooters. You shoot the three! You see that Kyle can shoot it, that Lonzo will get better, that Brandon will start draining them ... but YOU will be our NUMBER ONE guy! And they will get so much better because defenders are going to have to worry about YOU! And then others will come! Oooooooh babyyyyy!!!"

B
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:11 pm

KCP doing work.
Josh Hart playing solid.

Brook looks shook.
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Missed free throws. Poor passing. Slop. But for our youth, we're crushing them. We have more talent. This team will be excellent in a few seasons. Still wish we didn't trade Lou though.
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:27 pm

89-87 after 3. We should be up a dozen. They have Blake Griffin and Lou Williams to bring them home. We don't.
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:33 pm

BUT we do have Jordan Clarkson and Kyle Kuzma! KCP has been finishing games well, too.
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Lakers 100, Clippsterns 93. Lawler's Law.
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:40 pm

Still too young to know how to put teams away.
KobeMVP888

Next

Return to LakerTalk