Game 10: 11/5/17 Grizzlies at Lakers GAME THREAD

Game 10: 11/5/17 Grizzlies at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:59 am

(6-3)Image at Image(4-5)

Sunday, November 5, 2017, 6:30 PM PDT
Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA

Referees: James Capers (#19), Mark Ayotte (#56), Jonathan Sterling (#17)

Line: Grizzlies -2.5

GAME PREVIEW: GRIZZLIES AT LAKERS

by NBA.com

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Lakers will try to win their fourth straight game against the Memphis Grizzlies at Staples Center when they meet Sunday evening.

The Lakers started the streak on March 22, 2016, and beat visiting Memphis again Jan. 3 and April 2 of last season. However, just one of the 10 players who started those three games for Los Angeles is likely to start on Sunday.

The Lakers (4-5) are expected to go with the same starting group they used in a 124-112 win against the visiting Brooklyn Nets on Friday night; rookie point guard Lonzo Ball and rookie power forward Kyle Kuzma, second-year small forward Brandon Ingram and offseason acquisitions Brook Lopez at center and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope at shooting guard.

Kuzma, the 27th overall pick in the most recent NBA Draft, moved into the starting lineup after Larry Nance Jr. sustained a fracture in his left hand in a 113-110 loss at the Portland Trailblazers on Thursday. Kuzma's new role didn't affect the remarkable start to his first season.

He had 21 points on 8-for-11 shooting and grabbed 13 rebounds to join Ball as one of three NBA rookies this season to have at least 20 points and 10 assists or rebounds. Ben Simmons of the Philadelphia 76ers is the other.

Ball has seen his stock pivot the opposite direction of Kuzma's in recent games. The No. 2 overall pick in June shot 3 for 15 against the Nets, a night after going scoreless against the Trail Blazers. Ball is shooting 30.8 percent from the floor, but has only bettered that mark in two of nine games this season.

Memphis point guard Mike Conley told Grizzlies.com that he can relate to Ball, whose father, Lavar, has been an outspoken and somewhat controversial supporter of his three sons. Conley's father, Mike Conley, Sr., was an elite track and field athlete, winning an Olympic gold medal in the triple jump at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

"Between us two, I think if you read between the lines of being young guys coming into the league to run teams, and having dads in the spotlight -- it's as close as it gets," Conley said. "I know my situation is a little different. I wasn't as highly touted as Lonzo. But I can definitely look at him and see it, look at his situation, how good he is now, how much room he has to grow and how much better he's going to be."

The Lakers have also been getting good production lately from Lopez, who came to Los Angeles from the Nets in the same deal that included the draft pick that landed Kuzma.

Lopez scored 27 points against the Trail Blazers and came back with 34 points and 10 rebounds against his former team on Friday, becoming the first Los Angeles player since Kobe Bryant in November 2014 to post at least 30 points and 10 rebounds. Lopez upped his scoring average to a team-high 15.9 points, moving him past Kuzma (15.7).

"When you have the talent level that Brook has," Lakers coach Luke Walton said, "and you've been in the league long enough, you can anticipate a player of that level having a big game against his old team. It's just the way our league works."

The Grizzlies (6-3) won at Staples Center on Saturday afternoon, getting a team-high 22 points from Conley in the 113-104 victory against the Los Angeles Clippers.

The Grizzlies also got key contributions off the bench from guards Tyreke Evans and Mario Chalmers, who scored 20 and 12 points, as well as 13 and 10 points from forwards Brandon Wright and Chandler Parsons as they ended a two-game losing streak.

They'll look to end another streak in the same building on Sunday.

http://www.nba.com/games/20171105/MEMLAL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 10: 11/5/17 Grizzlies at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:08 am

I'll be representing tonight, brethren! Not that it seems to matter anymore, but we get them on a back-to-back after they defeated the Clippsterns yesterday. The part that DOES matter is that because they got a W, they probably partied their asses off in LA last night. Looking at the box score from yesterday, I can see why they are still a tough team. Their bench is quite deep. Brandon Wright, Chandler Parsons, Tyreke Evans and Mario Chalmers comprise their second unit and they got the latter two for a song. Underrrated GM. Anyway, despite the loss of Nance, Jr., I think we match up very well with them, so let's get to .500 tonight! GOOOOOOOOO Lakers!!! :slamdunk:
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:28 pm

We should BE above .500 at 5-4, but hey hopefully this young squad and its young coach are ready to bring the fire and desire every night and at least give HELL to these playoff probables if not outright upset them. Grinding out hard-earned victories vs. tough Western opponents is how we'll toughen up and get above .500 on our way to that 8th spot. GO LAKERS!!
lakerevolution

Postby Moos » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Win or lose always love Sundays bb games. Lonzo got to hit his from the 3-point field goal to beat these animals tonight. We need the injured N, Jr., back and we will keep rolling. Keep an eye on Jarell Martin and James Enis in the game together. Enjoy the game tonight... And DaylightSaving tomorrow guys! Lol.
Moos

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:14 pm

Moos - hate to break it to you but Swaggy is gone to the Dubsacks and we already fell back last night! But the good news is we are whooping on the Grizz! Lonzo may be on his way to another baby trip-dub, and our ball-sharing is on point. Go Lakers! Playoffs or bust!
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:02 pm

By the skin of our teeth! Kuzma looks like the SUPER steal of the draft! How does he have 12 boards and BLo, our center, have ONE??

GO LAKERS!!!
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:23 pm

Lakers are .500 through 10 games so I would say right on cue for a 41-41 season. We beat a Good team tonight, Kuzma is the steal of Draft, Lopez is a Top 5 Center in the league, and Ball is the real deal. Only concern I have about Ball is his shot. He has had some terrible shooting nights. He is struggling there but his leadership and ability to push the ball up the floor is solid. He had 9 Assists tonight.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:28 pm

lakerevolution wrote:By the skin of our teeth! Kuzma looks like the SUPER steal of the draft! How does he have 12 boards and BLo, our center, have ONE??

GO LAKERS!!!

Lopez only had 1 Board but scored 21 and had 5 Assists. Kuzma picked up the slack with 12 Boards. Lopez is really Good IMO.
3Peatkb24

Postby Moos » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:42 am

lakerevolution wrote:Moos - hate to break it to you but Swaggy is gone to the Dubsacks and we already fell back last night! But the good news is we are whooping on the Grizz! Lonzo may be on his way to another baby trip-dub, and our ball-sharing is on point. Go Lakers! Playoffs or bust!

Good win. I didn't watch the game just looked at the box score.
REv,... I was referring to Larry Nance, Jr.
Moos

Re: Game 10: 11/5/17 Grizzlies at Lakers GAKkson prouzmME TH

Postby Julius Russell » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:57 am

Lopez was very good
Ingram is taking the next step
Kuzma is an outstanding rookie
Randle is an animal for us
Clarkson is a formidable sixth man candidate
KCP is streaky but clutch
Josh Hart is tough with guys
We miss Nance Jr and hisgrit and glue
Lonzo has changed the culture and defined our style.
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:37 am

Julius Russell wrote:Lopez was very good

Nice summary. Brook and KCP know what to do at the end of games and boy did we need them when it counted last night. I really enjoyed the game; the crowd digs this team. Brook's a far better rim protector than Mozgov was last season and KCP is such a skilled young player. I realize it is only 10 games in to the season, but a part of me hopes that the front office decides to keep this group together with minor tweaks moving forward. They can forego a short term free agent strategy and follow a blueprint that has worked for many teams, like the Dubs. They grew their young core, then traded for Bogut and Iggy, then Durant begged his way on to the team. With Ingram, Kuzma and Lonzo showing future All-Star potential, and Randle, Clarkson and Nance starting to play like young veterans, and Lopez at 29 and KCP at 24 already solid veterans, why not think about developing long term chemistry with this group? As they all improve, trades will happen. Remember, we also have young talented players in Hart, Thomas Bryant and Zubac on this squad. It's a young team that will go through its growing pains, but who doesn't see the talent, depth and desire?
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:09 am

Julius Russell wrote:Lopez was very good

Nice break down Robert, Great stuff! I gave you a Thumbs Up on this one!
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk