Game 3: 10/22/17 Pelicans at Lakers GAME THREAD

Game 3: 10/22/17 Pelicans at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:44 am

(0-2)Image at Image(1-1)

Sunday, October 22, 2017, 6:30 PM PDT
Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Rodney Mott (#71), Nick Buchert (#3), Brett Nansel (#44)

Line: Pelicans -3.5

GAME PREVIEW: PELICANS AT LAKERS

by NBA.com

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Lakers don't have the personnel to match up well against strong post teams, and they'll face two of the best big men in the NBA when they host the New Orleans Pelicans at Staples Center on Sunday evening.

The Pelicans (0-2) feature power forwards Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins in their starting lineup. Davis, Cousins and point guard Russell Westbrook of the Oklahoma City Thunder were the only NBA players to finish in the top 10 in scoring and rebounding last season.

Davis averaged career highs of 28 points and 11.8 rebounds in 75 games last season, his fifth in the NBA. He also finished second in the NBA in blocked shots at 2.2 a game.

Cousins, who was traded to New Orleans from the Sacramento Kings in February, averaged a career-high 27.8 points in his seventh NBA year, while also pulling down 10.6 rebounds last season.

Davis opened this season with 33 points and 18 rebounds in a 103-91 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies on Wednesday. Cousins had 28 points, 10 rebounds and seven blocks.

In a 128-120 loss to the defending champion Golden State Warriors on Friday, Davis had 35 points and 17 rebounds and Cousins had 35 points, 14 rebounds and four steals.

"We've just got to continue to grow from here," Cousins told The Times-Picayune after the Golden State loss, in which the Pelicans led by 15 in the first half. " I think we're in a good place."

Cousins was fined $25,000 by the NBA on Saturday for directing "inappropriate language" at a fan on Wednesday.

The Lakers (1-1) were overcome by a 31-10 deficit in second-chance points in their season-opening loss to the Los Angeles Clippers on Thursday. Behind 29 points and 12 rebounds from Blake Griffin and 14 points and 24 rebounds from DeAndre Jordan, the Lakers were no match inside against the Clippers.

"They killed us on second chance points," Lakers coach Luke Walton said after the game.

Sunday's game will also feature an intriguing point guard matchup between ex-UCLA players Lonzo Ball of the Lakers and Jrue Holiday of the Pelicans.

Ball, the No. 2 overall draft pick last June, was unremarkable in his NBA debut against the Clippers, but was impressive and appeared more comfortable in a 132-130 victory at the Phoenix Suns on Friday, finishing with 29 points, 11 rebounds and nine assists.

"I just had to do what I had to do to get the win," Ball told the Orange County Register. "I had to shoot more shots, so that's what I did. It doesn't take me long to learn."

Ball is sure to make the Lakers a speedier team, which should improve their fast-break capabilities. Transition defense has been an area of focus for the Pelicans.

"We've been fine in half-court defense, even against Memphis we were fine, but we've just given up a lot of transition buckets," Davis said. "Our biggest key is just making sure we don't give up anything in transition."

Holiday wasn't at UCLA when Ball was, but he's familiar with what he brings to the game.

"The Lakers, of course, have Lonzo pushing the ball," he said. "We've got to be ready for it."

http://www.nba.com/games/20171022/NOPLAL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 3: 10/22/17 Pelicans at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby Lakers4Life » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:49 pm

We’ve just imploded to end this game. Sad because we were playing great in the 2nd half. We were even leading most of the 4th quarter (until the end)
Lakers4Life

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:49 pm

Lakers4Life wrote:We’ve just imploded to end this game. Sad because we were playing great in the 2nd half. We were even leading most of the 4th quarter (until the end)

A lot to be encouraged about though! Came all the way back from 23 down. Kuzma showing his SL and preseason were no fluke. Lonzo was fantastic other than missing shots, a few turnovers and his defense needs improving, but he's learning quickly. Loved KCP and really loved what Josh Hart gave us! The scoring guard position is solid with KCP, Clarkson (who was outstanding, but ran out of gas) and Hart. Clarkson backing up Lonzo is perfect, too. Julius finally got a little mojo going tonight. Nance and Lopez had off nights, but look who they were up against. I don't like the fact that we lost, but I like the fact that we grew. This group is heading in the right direction. Luke has plenty of time to figure out his rotations, too. The criticism I have of Luke tonight was reinserting Lonzo when Ingram had 5 fouls. I think he should have either left Ingram in there because the unit was on a roll or subbed in KCP for Ingram and let Clarkson continue to play the lead guard position. I'm encouraged.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:06 pm

Inexcusable games by Ingram and Lopez, and bad 3pt shooting by Lonzo, that FG% is the difference in the game. With Boogie and Unibrow, we did ok - Luke has to small-ball and outsmart teams like this if he wants to even sniff the postseason. Too many close losses and poor output based on confused chemistry is not what we need. I have faith though! Go Lakers!!
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:20 am

lakerevolution wrote:Inexcusable games by Ingram and Lopez, and bad 3pt shooting by Lonzo, that FG% is the difference in the game. With Boogie and Unibrow, we did ok - Luke has to small-ball and outsmart teams like this if he wants to even sniff the postseason. Too many close losses and poor output based on confused chemistry is not what we need. I have faith though! Go Lakers!!

Agree on Ingram and as for Lopez, it kind of puts into perspective the gap between him and Boogie. If they switched uniforms last night, who wins? Makes me think that he should be our primary target next summer if available, not PG. Lonzo-Boogie-Kuzma-Ingram (who will develop). That would be sweet come 2020!
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Yeah we had our chances to win but I expect inconsistency when our best player is a Rookie. 1-2 so far on the season.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:48 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Yeah we had our chances to win but I expect inconsistency when our best player is a Rookie. 1-2 so far on the season.

Lavar opened his flap predicting the Lakers will beat the Wizards Wednesday night and John Wall and Marcin Gortat have pledged to torture Lonzo. I find it interesting that these guys take anything Lavar Ball says personally and taking it out on Lonzo now is a mistake because it will only accelerate his learning curve and make him tougher. I hope their intent isn't to injure him. They should want to compete against any player in the NBA as hard as they can.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:13 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Yeah we had our chances to win but I expect inconsistency when our best player is a Rookie. 1-2 so far on the season.

Lavar opened his flap predicting the Lakers will beat the Wizards Wednesday night and John Wall and Marcin Gortat have pledged to torture Lonzo. I find it interesting that these guys take anything Lavar Ball says personally and taking it out on Lonzo now is a mistake because it will only accelerate his learning curve and make him tougher. I hope their intent isn't to injure him. They should want to compete against any player in the NBA as hard as they can.

I agree, I would like to think Gortat would play within the rules and not do anything dirty if Lonzo drives inside. Also this is definitely a great learning curve for Lonzo to toughen him up if guys like Wall want to go at him like it's playoffs.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk