RIP Connie Hawkins

RIP Connie Hawkins

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:13 am

One of my favorite players as a youth and his biography “Foul!” was one of my favorite books as a youth. RIP. What a player! What talent!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: RIP Connie Hawkins

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:27 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:

One of my favorite players as a youth and his biography “Foul!” was one of my favorite books as a youth. RIP. What a player! What talent!

Yeah a little before my time but of course I know who he is, guy was a great player! RIP
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby Moos » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm gonna go look finding that wonderful book and reread it. RIP! KobeMVP88, How would you compare/pick to play for your team Kareem Vs Connie Hawkins? Assuming you watched them play in person...
Moos

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Moos wrote:I'm gonna go look finding that wonderful book and reread it. RIP! KobeMVP88, How would you compare/pick to play for your team Kareem Vs Connie Hawkins? Assuming you watched them play in person...

I did see both of them play on person, but the Hawk was in the Elgin Baylor, Julius Erving mold and Cap was the epitome of a big. They didn't exactly have "positionless" basketball back then, but the Hawk could do it all! He was long, with bit mitts and had tremendous footwork. Yeah, I should download that book on my Nook because I no longer have it. I still use an expression from the book because at one point a bunch of his friends were in teh care and one of them let out a "booming salvo" that stunk up the car. I use that expression to this day. RIP to an all-time great!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby Moos » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:55 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
Moos wrote:I'm gonna go look finding that wonderful book and reread it. RIP! KobeMVP88, How would you compare/pick to play for your team Kareem Vs Connie Hawkins? Assuming you watched them play in person...

I did see both of them play on person, but the Hawk was in the Elgin Baylor, Julius Erving mold and Cap was the epitome of a big. They didn't exactly have "positionless" basketball back then, but the Hawk could do it all! He was long, with bit mitts and had tremendous footwork. Yeah, I should download that book on my Nook because I no longer have it. I still use an expression from the book because at one point a bunch of his friends were in teh care and one of them let out a "booming salvo" that stunk up the car. I use that expression to this day. RIP to an all-time great!

Here's little of bit of highlights from the book and an interview!!!

HAWK: Man, The players now are bigger, stronger and faster, but they’ll never be smarter than we were. That’s what I always look at. Right now, with my skills eroding away as they have, if I had legs, I’d get out there and out-play some of those players today just by using my head and the knowledge I have of the game. That’s what’s different between now and then. That’s what’s missing.
Thanks for posting, although it's he was robbed of prime years by judicial system at that time! "The Hawk could play"! RIP.

http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/there-was ... ie-hawkins
Moos

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:01 pm

R.I.P. Hawk!
lakerevolution

Return to LakerTalk