The 3Peat archives

Re: The 3Peat archives

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:28 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:-This is just something I am going to create that I can look back on and have in writing for future reference. I don't expect any reply's, this is just basically my opinions and thoughts I have about sports all-time.

-I started watching sports in 1977 as a 5 year old kid going on 6. The first NBA Finals I ever watched that I can remember was between the Philadelphia 76ers and Portland Trail Blazers = 1977 Finals. The first SuperBowl I ever watched that I could remember was when the Dallas Cowboys beat the Denver Broncos in the 1977 Season. I didn't get into watching Baseball until the early 80's. I do remember watching the Dodgers beating the Yankees in the 1981 Season World Series as that WS was one of the most talked about of all-time. Anyway for the record since my watching/following days of 1977 to present, here are my definite GOAT's and lists as of January 3rd, 2020.

Basketball

Basketball, my Top 3 players I have seen live:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
-Michael Jordan is 6-0 in Finals = 6 Championships, won 5 League MVP's, and 6 Finals MVP's. Jordan also won 10 Scoring Titles! Magic Johnson in just 12 full seasons went to 9 Finals and won 5 Championships, 3 League MVP's, and 3 Finals MVP's. He also recorded over 10,000 Assists and has the NBA record per season average of 11.2. The strongest argument for Magic being in the Top 3 is, he won Finals MVP as a Rookie scoring 42 Points, with 15 Rebounds, and 7 Assists in a close out game at Philly vs Doctor J, Mo Cheeks, Dawkins, and Andrew Toney. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has won 6 Championships, 6 League MVP's, and 2 Finals MVP's. He is currently the NBA all-time Leading Scorer with 38,387 Points.

My Top 3 teams of all-time that I have seen live are:
1. 1987 LA Lakers - Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Scott, Cooper, Green, M.Thompson
2. 1996 Chicago Bulls - Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc
3. 1986 Boston Celtics - Bird, McHale, Parish, D.Johnson
*I would be intrigued to see how the 2017 or 2018 Warriors with Durant and Curry would do against these teams in a 7 game series? I also definitely have to mention Kobe and Shaq's Lakers of 2001. Shaquille O'Neal was such a dominant force and that was a huge break out season for Kobe, Kobe was super in those Playoffs!

Football

Football, my Top 3 players I have seen live:
1. Tom Brady
2. Joe Montana
3. Lawrence Taylor
-Tom Brady has led his team to 6 SB wins, has won 3 League MVP's, and 4 SB MVP's. He is a very safe pick for best player I have seen as I think it has to be a QB. The QB position is most important position on the field. I have Joe Montana at #2, he was 4-0 In SB's and in those SB's he threw no Interceptions. At #3 I chose Taylor, to me he is by far the best Defensive player I have ever seen. Awesome Pass Rusher and Leader.

-Regarding just a Top 3 QB list, mine would be: 1. Tom Brady, 2. Joe Montana, 3. Peyton Manning. Peyton has the NFL record for most League MVP's with 5. He also won SB's with 2 different teams as a starter, no other QB has done that in NFL history giving him 2 SB wins.

My Top 3 teams of all-time I have seen live are:
1. 1989 SF 49ers - the mid to late 80's is when the athletes started to noticeably get bigger, stronger, and faster compared to other era's. I feel safe with them at #1 led by Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. + Ronnie Lott on Defense.
2. 1992 Dallas Cowboys - that team was loaded! Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin + a dominant BIG O.Line and a fast Defense that could create Turnovers.
3. 2004 New England Patriots - Tom Brady and Bill Belichick!

Baseball

Baseball, my Top 3 players I have seen live:
I honestly cant answer this at this time because it's tough for me to say what's more important Hitters or Pitchers. Not only that I am not sure how to judge the steroid era? Like where should Barry Bonds be rated?

My Top 3 teams of all-time I have seen live I can do:
1. 1998 NY Yankees - they went 114-48
2. 1986 NY Mets - they went 108-54
3. 2016 Chicago Cubs - call me a little bias here but they did have the NL MVP in Kris Bryant, a solid Pitching Staff, and did go 103-58. They also won Games 6 and 7 on the road to win a WS, that never happens.

I still feel pretty secure and good about my top 3 players of all-time regarding basketball as of January 3rd, 2020. LeBron and Kobe are in this discussion though. LeBron and Kobe are 2 totally different players in reality. LeBron is more like Magic but just not as clutch as Magic was or the Leader he was. Kobe is more like Jordan but Jordan was a tad better IMO, he just won more but it was close 6-5 in Championships. LeBron probably would have more Championships had his teams not faced the Warriors, just like Peyton would've in football had it not been for the Patriots. These discussions are always fun regardless. :cheers:

PS: Larry Bird was bad ass too, most Lakers fans can never admit that for some reason but he could hold his own vs anyone. He scorched guys like Dominique Wilkins who was way more athletic so I am not buying he couldn't beat athletic players one on one. That is hog wash! I have seen Bird put 60 on Nique! Bird was also a better shooter and rebounder than LeBron is or Kobe was.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:13 am

Dear LeBron, I have been a Lakers fan since 1977, bring me #17 to tie the Celtics titles and I will never say 1 bad thing about you again.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:46 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:Dear LeBron, I have been a Lakers fan since 1977, bring me #17 to tie the Celtics titles and I will never say 1 bad thing about you again.

Perhaps never has a player so roundly criticized by many Laker fans (for legit reasons and for some no-so-legit reasons) become so intrinsic to our current run for another title. When Magic got Norm Nixon booted, I can remember some fans (and women who liked Norm) complaining. But ahhh, winning seems to cover all ills over time. We learn things about ourselves when we grow as fans and sometimes have to eat our words. LeBron is certainly an NBA legend who, when his career is over, will likely be considered the best ever by rational basketball analysts. I'm glad he wanted to play for our equally legendary franchise in an effort to bring another title to Los Angeles.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:22 am

lakerevolution wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Dear LeBron, I have been a Lakers fan since 1977, bring me #17 to tie the Celtics titles and I will never say 1 bad thing about you again.

Perhaps never has a player so roundly criticized by many Laker fans (for legit reasons and for some no-so-legit reasons) become so intrinsic to our current run for another title. When Magic got Norm Nixon booted, I can remember some fans (and women who liked Norm) complaining. But ahhh, winning seems to cover all ills over time. We learn things about ourselves when we grow as fans and sometimes have to eat our words. LeBron is certainly an NBA legend who, when his career is over, will likely be considered the best ever by rational basketball analysts. I'm glad he wanted to play for our equally legendary franchise in an effort to bring another title to Los Angeles.

He's a class act. I just wish he was a killer on the last possession of the game or within the last minute of the game. By that point, he has already left it all out on the court. Maybe AD can become that killer somehow, but more than a point guard or an Iggy-like wing, we need a killer. Or maybe as the season prgresses, the team gets that good that we don't. We'll see.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:28 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:

He's a class act. I just wish he was a killer on the last possession of the game or within the last minute of the game. By that point, he has already left it all out on the court. Maybe AD can become that killer somehow, but more than a point guard or an Iggy-like wing, we need a killer. Or maybe as the season prgresses, the team gets that good that we don't. We'll see.

He was a killer in MIA, but he also had great mates like Wade amd Ray. His pass-first mentality and low ego is definitely not a Jordan/Kobe killer type - better to win big than have to hit last-second shots.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:09 pm

lakerevolution wrote:
KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:

He was a killer in MIA, but he also had great mates like Wade amd Ray. His pass-first mentality and low ego is definitely not a Jordan/Kobe killer type - better to win big than have to hit last-second shots.

One reason why I have the Magic man ranked better all-time over LeBron is Magic was a clutch killer. Magic was pass first but when it came to taking last second shots he rarely deferred and he even had Kareem. Magic had 2 buzzer beaters against Bird's Celtics alone, one was in a huge Game 4 during the 87 finals at Boston. I have came to the realization that LeBron is a top 5 player of all-time, the greatest player of his generation, but he lacks a few intangibles for me to say he is the GOAT. I think Peyton could carry a team better than Brady and Montana but Brady and Montana was more clutch for example, they just won more SB's.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:57 pm

It's LeBron time! RIP Kobe Bryant, we all love you Mamba.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:48 am

As of now I have no concrete Mt Rushmore since I have been watching basketball (the 1977 season). I have 3 players that are in = Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. That is still and has been my top 3 players ever. The 4th player is a toss up to me between Kobe Bryant, Shaq O'Neal, Larry Bird, and LeBron James. I am going by since the 1976-1977 season so Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell aren't in this discussion. Kobe Bryant probably belongs in that 4th spot but what if LeBron James wins LA a championship this year? He may even win another League MVP? This is a tough one for me.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:05 am

IMO if LeBron doesn't win MVP this year it is only because he has won 4 already. He keeps getting screwed like Peyton Manning did a couple of times because they want someone different.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:26 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:IMO if LeBron doesn't win MVP this year it is only because he has won 4 already. He keeps getting screwed like Peyton Manning did a couple of times because they want someone different.

Take LeBron off the Lake Show and we're still a playoff team. Take Giannis off the Deers and . . they're still a playoff team because it's the East. But they'd be much less formidable than the Lakers without LeBron.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:11 am

lakerevolution wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:IMO if LeBron doesn't win MVP this year it is only because he has won 4 already. He keeps getting screwed like Peyton Manning did a couple of times because they want someone different.

Take LeBron off the Lake Show and we're still a playoff team. Take Giannis off the Deers and . . they're still a playoff team because it's the East. But they'd be much less formidable than the Lakers without LeBron.

LeBron is a better player, he hits the 3 much better and he passes a lot better as well. IMO if LeBron doesn't win MVP it is a screw job. Take LeBron off our team we have 0 chance to win a Championship, I get the Bucks don't either without Giannis but it is the same difference.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:30 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:

LeBron is a better player, he hits the 3 much better and he passes a lot better as well. IMO if LeBron doesn't win MVP it is a screw job. Take LeBron off our team we have 0 chance to win a Championship, I get the Bucks don't either without Giannis but it is the same difference.

MVP isn't (or shouldn't be) "the best player in the NBA". It should be the player who most impacts and elevates his team to the highest levels all on his own effort. Giannis is a beast on the best team in the NBA (record-wise) and he's easily the overwhelming force on that team. LeBron is astounding in his 16th or whatever year, but he's always been astounding and if he took a week off we wouldn't just fall off a cliff.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:10 am

I called a local sports radio show here in Indy and gave my starting 5's. I know I am bored when I am off work for a couple days with no sports. Here was mine:

My all-time College starting 5
PG Magic Johnson
SG Pete Maravich
SF Larry Bird
PF Christian Laettner - He may be the best college player of all-time, sounds funny but true.
C Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar)

My all-time NBA starting 5
PG Magic Johnson
SG Michael Jordan
SF LeBron James
PF Karl Malone - he was a pure PF and could run the floor like a SF. Duncan was a C/PF.
C Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

-It was like a 4 minute phone call. By the way I brought up Kobe Bryant to end the call and said other than Jordan he was the best SG of all-time. RIP Mamba.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:58 pm

Instead of just talking about 1977 to now since I have watched, I will list my all-time Lakers Mt Rushmore. Jury is in:

Magic Johnson
Kobe Bryant
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Jerry West - the combo of his playing career and being our GM gets him in over Wilt, Shaq, or Baylor.

Easy list for me. I never seen Jerry play live but I have seen tons of film on him, know his stats, he won a Title in 1972, and he was an awesome GM for us.

Since 1977 to now my Lakers Mt Rushmore would be:
Magic Johnson
Kobe Bryant
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Shaq O'Neal - Jerry West playing career isn't factored in here.
3Peatkb24

Postby Julius Russell » Thu May 14, 2020 10:48 pm

Been watching a lot of Lakers compacto. Bron is more of a mental killer now in my opinion but in terms of late game heroics. I can see Kuz filling that role many times
Julius Russell

Previous

Return to LakerTalk