D'Angelo/Moz gone - Brook Lopez in

D'Angelo/Moz gone - Brook Lopez in

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Both teams got A's!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: D'Angelo/Moz gone - Brook Lopez in

Postby kjkirby » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:31 pm

I hope this is the first of many moves
kjkirby

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:40 pm

kjkirby wrote:I hope this is the first of many moves

I don't think there's any question about it. This is the first domino for sure.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Great move getting rid of Mozgov's ridiculous contract. Magic clearing Cap space. I was never that high on Russell either and now with the #2 pick we can take Ball or even Fox to run the team. Lopez is actually a quality Center that can score and he's only 29.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:33 pm

That move . . took Ball(s)! Literally, I figure! Welp, I never liked his goofy hairstyle, maybe Jay-Z can help him with sone style. NEXT!!!
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:45 pm

lakerevolution wrote:That move . . took Ball(s)! Literally, I figure! Welp, I never liked his goofy hairstyle, maybe Jay-Z can help him with sone style. NEXT!!!

Russell was expendable because we are about to Draft Ball, also it was a great way to clear Cap Space by getting rid of that stiff Mozgov. We also did get a fairly young Center that can score who isn't a stiff for a change and another Draft pick. We now have 3 1st Round picks = 2, 27, and 28. Everyone in here knows how I felt about Russell, I never thought he would be Great anyway, I did think he could be Good but that isn't good enough. We need a Point Guard with Leadership that can become Great, Ball and Fox both has that chance IMO. I also thought it was dumb drafting Russell in the first place when we already had Clarkson who is just as good.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Possible lineup for next season if the Pacers take Clarkson and the 27 and 28 for PG13 could be:
PG Ball
SG Ingram (put him here at the 2, PG13 would be at the 3)
SF PG13
PF Randle
C Lopez
with Nance as our 6th man, Zubac as the 7th

-I love this on paper - that is a lot of length, I think Ball will have a good Rookie season. I would almost bet if we land PG13, Ball will average around 10 Assists a game. I think Ingram will be much better in year 2 as well, making more 3's, etc..
3Peatkb24

Postby Lakers4Life » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:48 pm

ESPN INSIDERS

THE DEAL

Lakers get: Center Brook Lopez, No. 27 pick of 2017 NBA draft

Nets get: Guard D'Angelo Russell, center Timofey Mozgov

BROOKLYN NETS : A-

From a value standpoint, this is not a great trade for the Nets. Because Mozgov projects as no better than a replacement player over the remaining three seasons of his contract, during which he'll be paid $48 million (thanks, Mitch Kupchak), his negative surplus value is far greater than the positive surplus value Russell figures to provide over the final two seasons of his rookie contract.
And yet I'm still a fan of this trade. Whatever the appropriate geographic location is for Russell supporters (Is it an island? A small city?), I'm a resident. I get the criticisms: His attitude is questionable, his defense is worse and he hasn't proven an explosive athlete against NBA opponents. Despite all that, he submitted one of the 25 best offensive seasons by a point guard 21 or younger as measured by Basketball-Reference.com's box plus-minus metric

Point guards tend to continue developing later than players at other positions -- particularly bigger points, like the 6-foot-5 Russell -- and there's reason to believe he's still just scratching the surface of his potential. Of the 10 players my SCHOENE projection system rates most similar to Russell at the same age, three (Gilbert Arenas, Chauncey Billups and Jrue Holiday) developed into All-Stars, and Mike Conley is perhaps the best player ever not to make an All-Star team.

Becoming a dangerous 3-point shooter off the dribble could unlock the rest of Russell's game by forcing defenders to play over screens, much as it has for Conley, Kyle Lowry and Kemba Walker, to name three. His 38.7 percent shooting on pull-up 3s after the All-Star break (having shot 30.1 percent on them before the break) offered a glimpse of what Russell could become if he adds that shot on a consistent basis.

Because the team hasn't had its own draft picks, Brooklyn simply hasn't had any ability to acquire a young player as talented as Russell, and probably won't until at least the 2019 draft. (That's the first time the Nets control their own pick again.)
Yes, the Nets have been able to get their hands on some later first-round picks, including the pick they sent the Lakers in the deal, the price for taking on Andrew Nicholson's contract in the deadline trade that sent Bojan Bogdanovic to the Washington Wizards. Given the limited trade market for centers, I suspect the return for Lopez would have been similarly modest, and the same with using the cap space they'll now spend on Mozgov to take on other bad contracts in exchanges for picks.

Only by taking on this much salary, and sending back their own best player in Lopez, could Brooklyn add a player with this much upside. I think that's a move well worth making.

LOS ANGELES LAKERS : B

This trade serves dual functions for the Lakers, who were able to improve next season and quite possibly beyond.
In the short term, Lopez is a huge upgrade over the flotsam they've been running out at center since Pau Gasol's departure three summers ago. The appalling thing about the Mozgov contract wasn't just how shortsighted it was, given the value of cap space to the Lakers. It was also the fact that Mozgov wasn't even good in the short term. The Lakers played better after shutting Mozgov down for the season after the All-Star break, ostensibly to tank.

Whichever teammates end up around him, Lopez should make the Lakers' offensive attack more potent. Always a high-volume scorer from the post and midrange, Lopez unexpectedly added 3-point range last season, making 134 3-pointers at a 34.6 percent clip after attempting only 31 3s in his first eight NBA seasons. Russell (135) and Nick Young (170), now a potential free agent, were the only Lakers to surpass Lopez's total.
Lopez is an underrated rim protector when he's in position to contest shots. He held opponents to 47.0 percent shooting within five feet as a primary defender last season, per SportVU tracking on NBA.com/Stats, putting him just outside the league's top 10 and far better than Mozgov (53.4 percent) or any other Lakers player. Mobility is probably no more of an issue for him than it is for Mozgov, though Lopez's defensive rebounding could be an issue depending who's at power forward.

Still, the real benefit of this trade for the Lakers comes in the summer of 2018, when Lopez's contract expires. That will potentially leave only the No. 27 pick on the books for 2018-19 from this trade, meaning the Lakers will have successfully cleared $21.6 million in cap space. That puts them in position to make at least one max offer and gives them a realistic path to havingtwo max spots if they trade Jordan Clarkson and trade or waive and stretch Luol Deng.
I'm not certain that was worth giving up on Russell. Mozgov would have been easier to move in a year, when he would have had one less season on his contract, and frankly I'd probably have rather seen what I could get for attaching Mozgov's contract to Brandon Ingram instead given my skepticism about Ingram's future after an inefficient rookie season.

That noted, the new Lakers front office clearly did not agree with me about Russell's potential, and the expected arrival of Lonzo Ball as the No. 2 overall pick on Thursday could have crowded him out of the backcourt rotation. In that case, Russell's value might have declined further from here, so now was probably the time to move him.
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Lakers4Life wrote:ESPN INSIDERS

THE DEAL

Lakers get: Center Brook Lopez, No. 27 pick of 2017 NBA draft

Nets get: Guard D'Angelo Russell, center Timofey Mozgov

BROOKLYN NETS : A-

From a value standpoint, this is not a great trade for the Nets. Because Mozgov projects as no better than a replacement player over the remaining three seasons of his contract, during which he'll be paid $48 million (thanks, Mitch Kupchak), his negative surplus value is far greater than the positive surplus value Russell figures to provide over the final two seasons of his rookie contract.
And yet I'm still a fan of this trade. Whatever the appropriate geographic location is for Russell supporters (Is it an island? A small city?), I'm a resident. I get the criticisms: His attitude is questionable, his defense is worse and he hasn't proven an explosive athlete against NBA opponents. Despite all that, he submitted one of the 25 best offensive seasons by a point guard 21 or younger as measured by Basketball-Reference.com's box plus-minus metric

Point guards tend to continue developing later than players at other positions -- particularly bigger points, like the 6-foot-5 Russell -- and there's reason to believe he's still just scratching the surface of his potential. Of the 10 players my SCHOENE projection system rates most similar to Russell at the same age, three (Gilbert Arenas, Chauncey Billups and Jrue Holiday) developed into All-Stars, and Mike Conley is perhaps the best player ever not to make an All-Star team.

Becoming a dangerous 3-point shooter off the dribble could unlock the rest of Russell's game by forcing defenders to play over screens, much as it has for Conley, Kyle Lowry and Kemba Walker, to name three. His 38.7 percent shooting on pull-up 3s after the All-Star break (having shot 30.1 percent on them before the break) offered a glimpse of what Russell could become if he adds that shot on a consistent basis.

Because the team hasn't had its own draft picks, Brooklyn simply hasn't had any ability to acquire a young player as talented as Russell, and probably won't until at least the 2019 draft. (That's the first time the Nets control their own pick again.)
Yes, the Nets have been able to get their hands on some later first-round picks, including the pick they sent the Lakers in the deal, the price for taking on Andrew Nicholson's contract in the deadline trade that sent Bojan Bogdanovic to the Washington Wizards. Given the limited trade market for centers, I suspect the return for Lopez would have been similarly modest, and the same with using the cap space they'll now spend on Mozgov to take on other bad contracts in exchanges for picks.

Only by taking on this much salary, and sending back their own best player in Lopez, could Brooklyn add a player with this much upside. I think that's a move well worth making.

LOS ANGELES LAKERS : B

This trade serves dual functions for the Lakers, who were able to improve next season and quite possibly beyond.
In the short term, Lopez is a huge upgrade over the flotsam they've been running out at center since Pau Gasol's departure three summers ago. The appalling thing about the Mozgov contract wasn't just how shortsighted it was, given the value of cap space to the Lakers. It was also the fact that Mozgov wasn't even good in the short term. The Lakers played better after shutting Mozgov down for the season after the All-Star break, ostensibly to tank.

Whichever teammates end up around him, Lopez should make the Lakers' offensive attack more potent. Always a high-volume scorer from the post and midrange, Lopez unexpectedly added 3-point range last season, making 134 3-pointers at a 34.6 percent clip after attempting only 31 3s in his first eight NBA seasons. Russell (135) and Nick Young (170), now a potential free agent, were the only Lakers to surpass Lopez's total.
Lopez is an underrated rim protector when he's in position to contest shots. He held opponents to 47.0 percent shooting within five feet as a primary defender last season, per SportVU tracking on NBA.com/Stats, putting him just outside the league's top 10 and far better than Mozgov (53.4 percent) or any other Lakers player. Mobility is probably no more of an issue for him than it is for Mozgov, though Lopez's defensive rebounding could be an issue depending who's at power forward.

Still, the real benefit of this trade for the Lakers comes in the summer of 2018, when Lopez's contract expires. That will potentially leave only the No. 27 pick on the books for 2018-19 from this trade, meaning the Lakers will have successfully cleared $21.6 million in cap space. That puts them in position to make at least one max offer and gives them a realistic path to havingtwo max spots if they trade Jordan Clarkson and trade or waive and stretch Luol Deng.
I'm not certain that was worth giving up on Russell. Mozgov would have been easier to move in a year, when he would have had one less season on his contract, and frankly I'd probably have rather seen what I could get for attaching Mozgov's contract to Brandon Ingram instead given my skepticism about Ingram's future after an inefficient rookie season.

That noted, the new Lakers front office clearly did not agree with me about Russell's potential, and the expected arrival of Lonzo Ball as the No. 2 overall pick on Thursday could have crowded him out of the backcourt rotation. In that case, Russell's value might have declined further from here, so now was probably the time to move him.

This is definitely an A for the Lakers. Dumping Mozgov is huge and Lopez is Good. We could afford to trade Russell because we have the #2 pick. Ball will be a better Pro than Russell will, so will Fox IMO if we go that route.
3Peatkb24

Postby Julius Russell » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Sigh.

You guys are far too bullish on Ball.

Hoping this is a first move if a few. Even sti the Warriors will be old the same year George will. Don't get it
Julius Russell

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:45 pm

Julius Russell wrote:Sigh.

You guys are far too bullish on Ball.

Hoping this is a first move if a few. Even sti the Warriors will be old the same year George will. Don't get it

Paul George is only 27 years old and is a SuperStar, should've been 3rd team All-NBA but got screwed IMO. Have you watched how well he plays against LeBron? He is a proven winner too by making the Conference Finals on a small market team that no one cares about. Where you and I differ is, I never thought Russell would become Great anyway. To be honest I never got the love for Russell in here from such educated Posters that know sports better than most people. He had a poor attitude, he's a weak Defender, and shot a lousy %. It was a miracle when he got 10 Assists in a game, I bet Ball does that within his first 5 games as a Rook. This trade makes so much sense simply because we dump Mozgov's ass as well and got rid of that horrible contract.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:27 am

Many in Laker Nation had high hopes for Russell. We'll be hearing his name, you can be sure about that. As for Ball, well . . you don't just draft him, you create an atmosphere that he can thrive in. Magic will work his, uh, magic. Once again we need to be patient and have faith that the right mix of younger and veteran players can get us close to that 8th seed and beyond.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:57 am

I'm with 3Peat. I'll give the Lakers an A- only because I think they could have held out for the #22 pick and perhaps should have had a PG deal in place before closing this one. Dumping Mozgov is huge and Lopez expires next summer while giving Zubac another year to season. Lopez is a solid fit and replaces Russell's scoring production anyway. The deal becomes an A if they get PG without giving up the farm and draft Lonzo. RealGM gave the Lakers an A for the trade.
KobeMVP888

Postby kjkirby » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:19 am

Don't know about you guys, but I want no part of LeBron in a Laker jersey. That ship has passed. He's getting older and I think a younger stud will allow a possible longer stretch of competing for chips. If LeBron leaves, he's officially a mercenary. The team is too young to pair with a player who needs to win now.
kjkirby

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:46 am

kjkirby wrote:Don't know about you guys, but I want no part of LeBron in a Laker jersey. That ship has passed. He's getting older and I think a younger stud will allow a possible longer stretch of competing for chips. If LeBron leaves, he's officially a mercenary. The team is too young to pair with a player who needs to win now.

We'll see how young the team is by next summer. There are two ways to go. Build a superteam or form a superteam. The latter is obviously the plan.
KobeMVP888

Next

Return to LakerTalk