Gm 82 - 04/12/17: Lakers at Warriors GAME THREAD

Gm 82 - 04/12/17: Lakers at Warriors GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:12 am

(26-55)Image at Image(66-15)

Wednesday, April 12, 2017, 7:30 PM PDT
Oracle Arena, Oakland, CA

Referees: Ron Garretson (#10), Mark Ayotte (#56), James Williams (#60)

Line: Warriors -14

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT WARRIORS

BY NBA.COM

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Lakers will attempt to head into a nerve-racking offseason with a six-game winning streak Wednesday night when they wrap up their 2016-17 campaign on the road against the Golden State Warriors.

With more to gain by losing than winning this month, the Lakers (26-55) have beaten Memphis, San Antonio, Sacramento, Minnesota and New Orleans in succession to assure they will finish with the NBA's third-worst record.

The latter is significant in that the Lakers will lose their first-round draft pick to the Philadelphia 76ers should it land outside the top three.

The Lakers will head to the NBA draft lottery on May 16 with a 53.1 percent chance of falling to fourth or below.

"Obviously, it's a unique situation, but our players' jobs are to go out there and win," Lakers coach Luke Walton told reporters during the winning streak. "At the end of the day, it's a lottery anyway, so we're gonna need some luck from the basketball gods."

No such luck was required Tuesday night, when the Lakers ran their streak to five games. Veteran Metta World Peace, himself a first-round pick of the Chicago Bulls in 1999, contributed a season-best 18 points to the win.

The Lakers initially dealt the pick -- protected at various levels for five years -- to the Phoenix Suns in July 2012 in a sign-and-trade deal for Steve Nash.

When the pick didn't meet restrictions for two seasons, the Suns dealt it to Philadelphia in a three-team trade that brought Brandon Knight from Milwaukee to Phoenix.

The restrictions on the pick end this year. If the Lakers once again retain the pick, they will automatically lose it to the 76ers next season, no matter where it lands.

With nothing to lose by winning again, the Lakers will see a Warriors team that already has begun planning ahead for this weekend's playoff opener against the Portland Trail Blazers. The NBA is expected to announce the postseason dates and times Wednesday night.

After resting Klay Thompson in a 105-99 loss to the Utah Jazz on Monday, Warriors coach Steve Kerr announced Tuesday that he will be sitting Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala in the season finale.

Kerr got a chuckle from reporters when he made the announcement on Green on Tuesday.

"It just doesn't make sense to play him. He's in a good groove and he could use a day off," Kerr said. "And what I've found with Draymond is if the game is meaningless, then so is Draymond."

The game is most meaningful to Warriors forward Kevin Durant, who is trying to play his way back into shape following a 19-game absence due to a sprained knee.

Durant has played 31 and 33 minutes in his first two games back, scoring 16 points in each. He has yet to make a 3-pointer (0-for-9) in his comeback.

The Warriors (66-15) already have clinched the best record in the NBA, meaning they will have home-court advantage in any playoff series.

http://www.nba.com/games/20170412/LALGSW#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Gm 82 - 04/12/17: Lakers at Warriors GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:11 am

Should've represented at this one, but I've been so damned busy I honestly forgot the 'Show was coming up here. It was a blowout, of course, and about as meaningless a game as you could ask for . . and now the real post-Kobe era - and the climb - begins.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:24 am

lakerevolution wrote:Should've represented at this one, but I've been so damned busy I honestly forgot the 'Show was coming up here. It was a blowout, of course, and about as meaningless a game as you could ask for . . and now the real post-Kobe era - and the climb - begins.

I watched the 1st Otr and that was about it. Season is over, we won 26 games for the final tally. Like I Posted in my Patience Thread, I will give the franchise this off season and next seasons play to get their stuff in order and watch them grow even more, in 2019 (in 2 seasons) I expect being a Playoff team. In the summer of 2018 there will be major opportunity to land a big name Free Agent and Russell will be going into season 4. If we aren't at least around .500 in 2019 battling for an 8th Spot that isn't acceptable in my book. No reason why we shouldn't with all of the scenario's I have laid out. Russell will be 23 in season 4, Ingram will be in season 3, and we would've had the 2017 and 2018 off seasons to improve bigtime. 2019 is the season folks that we should be a Playoff team again. If not then some people need to go if it isn't happening by then.

2014 = 27-55
2015 = 21-61
2016 = 17-65
2017 = 26-56
2018 = ? I am hoping we improve the Roster and can win over 30, more like 33/34.
2019 = I am hoping by then Russell and Ingram both are Good to Very Good and we have added a quality Free Agent or 2 and are around .500 like the Blazers are now at an 8th Seed.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:14 am

If you factor in the early "hot start", we really sucked for the vast majority of the season. 30 wins was a possibility . . would that have made anyone feel better? This team is a puzzle with pieces that don't fit; we need to do some major shuffling to get a clearer picture of how we can truly be competitive next season. Nothing short of 33 wins should be acceptable.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:16 am

lakerevolution wrote:If you factor in the early "hot start", we really sucked for the vast majority of the season. 30 wins was a possibility . . would that have made anyone feel better? This team is a puzzle with pieces that don't fit; we need to do some major shuffling to get a clearer picture of how we can truly be competitive next season. Nothing short of 33 wins should be acceptable.

I actually think these pieces WILL fit. Russell, Clarkson, Randle and Ingram all have this in common: each are decent passers, but each dribbles the ball too much. Toward the end of the season, they started sharing the ball much better. I was 11th row courtside for the Wolves game and you really get a much better sense down there how quickly the passing lanes close in an NBA game. So in addition to learning better fundamentals, footwork and communicating better on defense, they have to learn each others' tendencies better, the spots where each other prefer to be on the floor and continue to develop that pass first mentality and quit dribbling so damn much. You notice how the good teams pass quickly and find the open man? We will do that. Also, much like Clyde Frazier and Earl Monroe (both combo guards in the Harden mold if I were going to make a comparison) had to learn how to play together and, even as seasoned veterans, it took them a full season to figure that out. Same with Clarkson and Russell. I believe they can. Also, Zubac has a shitload of potential at center, Randle at power forward, and Ingram and small forward .. each their natural positions. Nance and Black are glue energy guys off the bench. I think the pieces are there; it is just that they are young and learning how to play together in this league. Of all those guys, for whatever reason, Randle is my biggest concern. He shouldn't be a ball stopper at his position and his lack of length among the trees bothers me. One of the reasons for the Clippers' playoff woes over the years has been Blake Griffin's lack of length and the same culd apply to Julius. I'm ready to continue to enjoy the climb!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:34 am

lakerevolution wrote:If you factor in the early "hot start", we really sucked for the vast majority of the season. 30 wins was a possibility . . would that have made anyone feel better? This team is a puzzle with pieces that don't fit; we need to do some major shuffling to get a clearer picture of how we can truly be competitive next season. Nothing short of 33 wins should be acceptable.

I am with you Rev, I want to see more winning next season. We haven't been relevant since the 2013 Season. We have sit through 4 dreadful seasons. Even during the 90's we had some Good seasons when we weren't winning Championships. Went to the Finals in 91, in 95 we knocked off a Very Good Seattle team in the Playoffs and won 48 games with Van Excel, Eddie Jones, and Ceballos being our best players. We made the WCFinals in 1998 and just got beat by a Great Utah team. So the 90's has nothing on this stretch of bad basketball. We were at least relevant even then. We are the laughing stock of the league on every basketball web site I get on and read comments.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:45 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:

I actually think these pieces WILL fit. Russell, Clarkson, Randle and Ingram all have this in common: each are decent passers, but each dribbles the ball too much. Toward the end of the season, they started sharing the ball much better. I was 11th row courtside for the Wolves game and you really get a much better sense down there how quickly the passing lanes close in an NBA game. So in addition to learning better fundamentals, footwork and communicating better on defense, they have to learn each others' tendencies better, the spots where each other prefer to be on the floor and continue to develop that pass first mentality and quit dribbling so damn much. You notice how the good teams pass quickly and find the open man? We will do that. Also, much like Clyde Frazier and Earl Monroe (both combo guards in the Harden mold if I were going to make a comparison) had to learn how to play together and, even as seasoned veterans, it took them a full season to figure that out. Same with Clarkson and Russell. I believe they can. Also, Zubac has a shitload of potential at center, Randle at power forward, and Ingram and small forward .. each their natural positions. Nance and Black are glue energy guys off the bench. I think the pieces are there; it is just that they are young and learning how to play together in this league. Of all those guys, for whatever reason, Randle is my biggest concern. He shouldn't be a ball stopper at his position and his lack of length among the trees bothers me. One of the reasons for the Clippers' playoff woes over the years has been Blake Griffin's lack of length and the same culd apply to Julius. I'm ready to continue to enjoy the climb!

I hope you are right, I still think we need to add a SuperStar to even think about competing in the West. We need one just to make the Playoffs IMO, I am not even talking Championships. I am hoping George possibly. If Randle can just give us 15/10 on a consistent basis he's doing his job and I think he can in the future. We are building our team around Russell so for me he is the one I am most concerned about. He needs to be 20 points/8 assists being a PG/4 rebounds by season 4 and shooting around 45%, get better on Defense, and lead the team better. Randle was never expected to be the best player on the team and he actually was at times this past season. Regarding Ingram, I am pretty positive he will be an All-Star by his 4th season. I could be wrong but he has tons of potential. I also think Zubac will be Good next season, good as in compared to other Centers. Maybe a Top 10-15 Center in the league?

Randle averaged 13.2 Points and 8.6 Boards a game. So he is almost right where he needs to be for a guy that isn't our #1 option. 15/10 is what we need so he's right there.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:37 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:Randle averaged 13.2 Points and 8.6 Boards a game. So he is almost right where he needs to be for a guy that isn't our #1 option. 15/10 is what we need so he's right there.

It's not Randle's numbers so much as the type of player he is. Can he be an inside/mid-range beast like Zach Randolph? Is he more like Lamar Odom? Is he more like Draymond Green? Blake Griffin? Or does he fall way short of all those guys? His ball stopping bothers me, but we're young and he's young. He's a much better playmaker than given credit for (3.6 apg is pretty darn good), but how does that jive with Russell, Ingram and Clarkson, ALL of whom should also be solid playmaker's with more experience? Don't get me wrong, I am still excited about what Randle will be like in 3 years. He's already strin, but by the time he is ONLY 25, he will be one of the strongest players in the league with his physique which is still maturing. If we keep the pick great; if not, with a core of solid young players, which may even include Tyler Ennis, it won't be the end of the world if we lose it. The future is finally taking form!
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:10 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Randle averaged 13.2 Points and 8.6 Boards a game. So he is almost right where he needs to be for a guy that isn't our #1 option. 15/10 is what we need so he's right there.

It's not Randle's numbers so much as the type of player he is. Can he be an inside/mid-range beast like Zach Randolph? Is he more like Lamar Odom? Is he more like Draymond Green? Blake Griffin? Or does he fall way short of all those guys? His ball stopping bothers me, but we're young and he's young. He's a much better playmaker than given credit for (3.6 apg is pretty darn good), but how does that jive with Russell, Ingram and Clarkson, ALL of whom should also be solid playmaker's with more experience? Don't get me wrong, I am still excited about what Randle will be like in 3 years. He's already strong, but by the time he is ONLY 25, he will be one of the strongest players in the league with his physique which is still maturing. If we keep the pick great; if not, with a core of solid young players, which may even include Tyler Ennis, it won't be the end of the world if we lose it. The future is finally taking form!

I pretty much agree with everything you just posted. I do like Ennis too. I really don't think any of us know how these next 2 years will go. I am very nervous because I want to see some winning after 4 years of dreadful play. I want to see Magic succeed building this team up, I want to see Russell and Ingram become All-Stars. I keep hearing Paul George will make 3rd team but if he doesn't that gives us a better shot of signing him in the summer 2018 without even trading anyone. Brian Windhorst doesn't have George 3rd team so who knows?
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:35 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:I pretty much agree with everything you just posted. I do like Ennis too. I really don't think any of us know how these next 2 years will go. I am very nervous because I want to see some winning after 4 years of dreadful play. I want to see Magic succeed building this team up, I want to see Russell and Ingram become All-Stars. I keep hearing Paul George will make 3rd team but if he doesn't that gives us a better shot of signing him in the summer 2018 without even trading anyone. Brian Windhorst doesn't have George 3rd team so who knows?

PG didn't make Bill Simmons top 3 All-NBA teams, but he had Rudy Gobert on his 1st team. Rudy Gobert won't make any of the top 3 teams IMO.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:41 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:I pretty much agree with everything you just posted. I do like Ennis too. I really don't think any of us know how these next 2 years will go. I am very nervous because I want to see some winning after 4 years of dreadful play. I want to see Magic succeed building this team up, I want to see Russell and Ingram become All-Stars. I keep hearing Paul George will make 3rd team but if he doesn't that gives us a better shot of signing him in the summer 2018 without even trading anyone. Brian Windhorst doesn't have George 3rd team so who knows?

PG didn't make Bill Simmons top 3 All-NBA teams, but he had Rudy Gobert on his 1st team. Rudy Gobert won't make any of the top 3 teams IMO.

I seen that, I think he's wrong there too. He had PG on his 4th team. Brian Windhorst didn't have PG 3rd team either but I think he makes it and the guys on the local radio here say PG will make it. Simmons had Hayward making 3rd team, he wont make it over PG either IMO.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:46 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:I seen that, I think he's wrong there too. He had PG on his 4th team. Brian Windhorst didn't have PG 3rd team either but I think he makes it and the guys on the local radio here say PG will make it. Simmons had Hayward making 3rd team, he wont make it over PG either IMO.

Jimmy Butler was on Simmons' 4th team, too and I think he and PG are very close. We'll see.

If you had to choose between losing our pick and PG making third team, which would you choose?
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:50 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:I seen that, I think he's wrong there too. He had PG on his 4th team. Brian Windhorst didn't have PG 3rd team either but I think he makes it and the guys on the local radio here say PG will make it. Simmons had Hayward making 3rd team, he wont make it over PG either IMO.

Jimmy Butler was on Simmons' 4th team, too and I think he and PG are very close. We'll see.

If you had to choose between losing our pick and PG making third team, which would you choose?

I don't know that is tough! Even if PG makes 3rd team he still could leave Indy but the money Bird could throw at him will be just outrageous. I would rather keep the pick and take my chances, having said that I would rather have PG than anyone we can Draft so I am contradicting myself in a way.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:04 pm

All-NBA is strange because it's not necessarily by position. No way PG isn't a Top 15 player so common sense says he makes it. If it was by position he may not deserve it because you have LeBron, Kawhi, and Durant who are technically SF's. I do think PG is slightly better than Butler, Hayward, or Greek Freak though.
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk