As a fan of your favorite teams? PRO SPORTS ONLY

As a fan of your favorite teams? PRO SPORTS ONLY

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:05 pm

As a fan of your favorite teams, how many Championships have you been able to celebrate while witnessing them - meaning while you have been alive? I started watching sports since roughly 1977 so here are mine:
Lakers - 1980, 82, 85, 87, 88, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010 = 10
Indianapolis Colts - 2006 = 1
Chicago Cubs - 2016 = 1
*NY Mets - 1986 = 1, I put an * by that one because I was a huge Dwight Gooden fan not really a Mets fan though because I loved the Cubs but rooted for them like hell against the RedSox in the 1986 WS. So I feel like I was a small part of that fan wise. Where I went to highschool it was a Gooden vs Clemens thing for years and I loved Doc!

I have 13 I have celebrated with great joy, how about you guys?

Out of all of these Championships I celebrated, picking 1 is damn near impossible as my favorite. All were awesome. If I had to pick 1 if my life depended on it, I would pick the 1985 Lakers winning it at Boston Garden. That was joy I cant even describe beating the Celtics on their home floor to win it all. That was the first time in Finals history the Lakers ever beat that team. Man that was so huge! Magic avenged his loss to Larry, I was so relieved because the Celtics were nearly unbeatable at home. The Colts and Cubs winning their 1 gave me so much joy too because I could finally say both were World Champions. Colts had won 1 in Baltimore but not in Indy until 2006, finally Indy wasn't PODUNK and was a proud Champion. Too finish, I cried when the Cubs won this past season!
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Re: As a fan of your favorite teams? PRO SPORTS ONLY

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Can't claim the Raiders "76 title, I just wasn't old enough to recall -- BUT the fallout was enough to engender me to the Silver & Black . . I had a love affair with Lynn Swann and James Stallworth and of course the Steelers were the most dominant team of the 70s, so they were like fanhood competition, but I learned a TON about NFL football as a kid from watching Chuck Noll's team execute. From the Raiders, I learned that being wild and spontaneous could get you ahead of the pack as well.

Raiders - 1980, 1983

I grew up in a Raiders/Dodgers/Lakers household, so at an early age the 70s Dodgers/Yankees rivalry really caught my attention. My older brother took me to my first baseball game at Chavez Ravine, when Manny Mota was still active. My mom was into the Dodgers and she adored Steve Garvey and Chuck Yeager. I quickly saw the structure of a baseball club and how strong management (by the legendary Tommy Lasorda) could get a bunch of diverse players to over-achieve year after year. Dusty Baker, Ron Cey, Davey Lopes, Bill Russell, Rick Monday, Pedro Guerrero and the excellent pitching staff of Reuss, Sutcliffe, Sutton, Welch and Hooton really made watching the Dodgers fun. Steve Howe, Fernando Valenzuela, a young Mike Scioscia, Steve Sax, Kenny Landreaux and Jay Johnstone added to the entertainment value and the 1981 World Series title was my baptism into the MLB. In 1988 Orel Hershiser led a great pitching staff and - along with the gruff and legendary Kirk Gibson - muscled his way past the powerful Oakland Athletics.

Dodgers - 1981, 1988

What can I say about our Lakers that we don't already know? My first memories are watching my older brothers go CRAZY in front of the floor-model TV watching the 70s Lakers battle the NBA's best. The legend Kareem, fourth-year man Jamaal Wilkes, sophomore Norm Nixon, and ROOKIE Michael Cooper began to heat things up in 1978 and set the table for the drafting of YOU KNOW WHO in 1980. Coupled with the sale of the team to Dr. Jerry Buss, the Lakers were positioned to take the NBA by storm. I remember my brother telling me, paraphrasing Chick Hearn, "Ohhh boyyy . . the Lakers are going to be great now." And of course Magic came in and simply elevated everyone's game from the jump ball. When James Worthy joined the team, it was a wrap. SHOWTIME!!!

Lakers - 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

Clearly, the 1980s were a Golden Era for me when it comes to sports. Throw in the Olympics and it was a great time to grow up.
lakerevolution

Re: As a fan of your favorite teams? PRO SPORTS ONLY

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:58 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Can't claim the Raiders "76 title, I just wasn't old enough to recall -- BUT the fallout was enough to engender me to the Silver & Black . . I had a love affair with Lynn Swann and James Stallworth and of course the Steelers were the most dominant team of the 70s, so they were like fanhood competition, but I learned a TON about NFL football as a kid from watching Chuck Noll's team execute. From the Raiders, I learned that being wild and spontaneous could get you ahead of the pack as well.

Raiders - 1980, 1983

I grew up in a Raiders/Dodgers/Lakers household, so at an early age the 70s Dodgers/Yankees rivalry really caught my attention. My older brother took me to my first baseball game at Chavez Ravine, when Manny Mota was still active. My mom was into the Dodgers and she adored Steve Garvey and Chuck Yeager. I quickly saw the structure of a baseball club and how strong management (by the legendary Tommy Lasorda) could get a bunch of diverse players to over-achieve year after year. Dusty Baker, Ron Cey, Davey Lopes, Bill Russell, Rick Monday, Pedro Guerrero and the excellent pitching staff of Reuss, Sutcliffe, Sutton, Welch and Hooton really made watching the Dodgers fun. Steve Howe, Fernando Valenzuela, a young Mike Scioscia, Steve Sax, Kenny Landreaux and Jay Johnstone added to the entertainment value and the 1981 World Series title was my baptism into the MLB. In 1988 Orel Hershiser led a great pitching staff and - along with the gruff and legendary Kirk Gibson - muscled his way past the powerful Oakland Athletics.

Dodgers - 1981, 1988

What can I say about our Lakers that we don't already know? My first memories are watching my older brothers go CRAZY in front of the floor-model TV watching the 70s Lakers battle the NBA's best. The legend Kareem, fourth-year man Jamaal Wilkes, sophomore Norm Nixon, and ROOKIE Michael Cooper began to heat things up in 1978 and set the table for the drafting of YOU KNOW WHO in 1980. Coupled with the sale of the team to Dr. Jerry Buss, the Lakers were positioned to take the NBA by storm. I remember my brother telling me, paraphrasing Chick Hearn, "Ohhh boyyy . . the Lakers are going to be great now." And of course Magic came in and simply elevated everyone's game from the jump ball. When James Worthy joined the team, it was a wrap. SHOWTIME!!!

Lakers - 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

Clearly, the 1980s were a Golden Era for me when it comes to sports. Throw in the Olympics and it was a great time to grow up.

Great stuff Rev! Yeah the 80's was such a blast with Magic vs Bird, 1985 was the best and then beating Boston again in 1987 proved Magic was better then Bird all-time. The Repeat in 1988 was the cherry on top! I am all over the place regarding decades though as the Colts won in 2006 and the Cubs winning last season but to me the 80's was the best decade in all sports. When the Mets won in 1986 I was very happy because I was one of the few Gooden fans, most everyone was kissing Clemens ass like they were Bird where I went to school :roflmao:. The Cubs losing to Padres in the 1984 Playoffs just crushed me because that was the first season I really got into Baseball and the Cubs were the best team in the NL all season. I adored that team and why I became a Cubs fan. Not sure they would've beat the Tigers had they got by the Padres but losing to the Padres was devastating. The Mets were in the same Division as the Cubs were back then but I really had no hate for them, I hated the Cards mainly like most Cubs fans did and do now.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk