Will any of The Lakers young players become a star?

Will any of The Lakers young players become a star?

Postby Lakers4Life » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:38 pm

Lakers4Life

Re: Will any of The Lakers young players become a star?

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 pm

Ingram if I had to choose one.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:32 am

The usually optimistic me doesn't believe so, but all of them can be very good players. I love Zu's potential, but then again I am partial to good old fashioned back to the basket centers. Next season will be telling. Too many cobwebs right now. Remember, this is Year 1 because Kobe was here last season and Randle was injured the year before. It makes sense that Clarkson seems further along.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:41 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:The usually optimistic me doesn't believe so, but all of them can be very good players. I love Zu's potential, but then again I am partial to good old fashioned back to the basket centers. Next season will be telling. Too many cobwebs right now. Remember, this is Year 1 because Kobe was here last season and Randle was injured the year before. It makes sense that Clarkson seems further along.

1 major problem I am seeing is we have bad chemistry as a team. Russell and Clarkson really cant play together, that is why we should've drafted Okafor because we already had a Good player in Clarkson who could play the point. I would bet either Clarkson or Russell will be traded in the offseason. I think we will hang on to Ingram and we should. Ingram is a guy that has the potential of becoming Great. He is a tall wing that can shoot. He needs to add some weight but give him 2 more years and he will be the best player on the team unless we pick up a SuperStar in Free Agency. Russell is going into year 3 next season, I want to see more consistency out of him next year. Young are not, the media was hyping him up as the next best Point Guard in the league when he got Drafted. Some were saying he had Magic Johnson leadership qualities. I haven't seen it! Magic Johnson won the Championship at the age of 19 so age wasn't a factor with him. He even won Game 6 without Kareem to clinch the Finals. At 19 Magic already had the best leadership as a player in the league.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:38 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
KobeMVP888 wrote:The usually optimistic me doesn't believe so, but all of them can be very good players. I love Zu's potential, but then again I am partial to good old fashioned back to the basket centers. Next season will be telling. Too many cobwebs right now. Remember, this is Year 1 because Kobe was here last season and Randle was injured the year before. It makes sense that Clarkson seems further along.

1 major problem I am seeing is we have bad chemistry as a team. Russell and Clarkson really cant play together, that is why we should've drafted Okafor because we already had a Good player in Clarkson who could play the point. I would bet either Clarkson or Russell will be traded in the offseason. I think we will hang on to Ingram and we should. Ingram is a guy that has the potential of becoming Great. He is a tall wing that can shoot. He needs to add some weight but give him 2 more years and he will be the best player on the team unless we pick up a SuperStar in Free Agency. Russell is going into year 3 next season, I want to see more consistency out of him next year. Young are not, the media was hyping him up as the next best Point Guard in the league when he got Drafted. Some were saying he had Magic Johnson leadership qualities. I haven't seen it! Magic Johnson won the Championship at the age of 19 so age wasn't a factor with him. He even won Game 6 without Kareem to clinch the Finals. At 19 Magic already had the best leadership as a player in the league.

Okafor sucks. They should have drafted Porzingis, but they pussied out. D'Angelo Russell plays tentative and confused, but his numbers are tracking like Kemba Walker, Kyle Lowry, Conley, Harden, Westbrook, etc. I think he is going to be solid once the light bulb goes on for good. Clarkson plays much harder than him, but he isn't going to improve much beyond what we are seeing, so he is the trade bait in my view. Then again, IF we keep our pick (the Law of Averages is against us though) AND we draft either Fultz or Ball, THEN we might wind up trading both Russell and Clarkson. I would certainly keep an open mind depending on the haul. Lottery Day can't come soon enough.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:10 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:

Okafor sucks. They should have drafted Porzingis, but they pussied out. D'Angelo Russell plays tentative and confused, but his numbers are tracking like Kemba Walker, Kyle Lowry, Conley, Harden, Westbrook, etc. I think he is going to be solid once the light bulb goes on for good. Clarkson plays much harder than him, but he isn't going to improve much beyond what we are seeing, so he is the trade bait in my view. Then again, IF we keep our pick (the Law of Averages is against us though) AND we draft either Fultz or Ball, THEN we might wind up trading both Russell and Clarkson. I would certainly keep an open mind depending on the haul. Lottery Day can't come soon enough.

"Okafor sucks" :roflmao: No he doesn't, he had a better rookie season than Russell did and he just put 23 Points on us the other night with ease on our homecourt and Philly beat us. Okafor's stats would even be much better if Embiid wasn't on that team. Since Embiid's injury, OKafor has been balling out and his Offensive game is Very Good. I am sorry if I am the one Laker fan in here that isn't on the Russell bandwagon but I am not. Like I said I will cut him some slack and be patient for now because he is only in season 2 but sooner or later he is going to have to produce at a high level. He isn't even a Top 10 PG in the league yet. He isn't the best Guard on our team, Clarkson is. I honestly think you defend him way too much but maybe you see something I don't. Jeff Teague is better than he is. If we trade for Paul George, Larry would target Ingram and Randle before he would Russell because he has Teague.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Jeff Teague is meh. Look at his career numbers and compare them to young D'Angelo's. Teague "came into his own" (12.6 ppg, 4.9 apg, 2.4 rpg, 1.6 spg, 33.1 mpg) in his third season when he was 23. D'Angelo Russell will be so much better than him. Russell's shooting percentage will improve dramatically and be at least as good as Teague's 44.7%. DLo's 36 mpg averages about on par with Teague already, including turnovers. It's the shooting percentage that needs to improve. Look at Kemba Walker's second season. Then again, I can see how the eye test would lead you to believe otherwise.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... uje01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... eda01.html

Jahlil Okafor will never get anywhere near an All-Star game. He can't defend and he's a mediocre rebounder at best. DLo has a better shot at an ASG than Okafor IMO.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:21 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:Jeff Teague is meh. Look at his career numbers and compare them to young D'Angelo's. Teague "came into his own" (12.6 ppg, 4.9 apg, 2.4 rpg, 1.6 spg, 33.1 mpg) in his third season when he was 23. D'Angelo Russell will be so much better than him. Russell's shooting percentage will improve dramatically and be at least as good as Teague's 44.7%. DLo's 36 mpg averages about on par with Teague already, including turnovers. It's the shooting percentage that needs to improve. Look at Kemba Walker's second season. Then again, I can see how the eye test would lead you to believe otherwise.

Jahlil Okafor will never get anywhere near an All-Star game. He can't defend and he's a mediocre rebounder at best. DLo has a better shot at an ASG than Okafor IMO.

I hope you are right and I am wrong. I want Russell to pan out and be Very Good, if not Great. Teague's FG% is much better but you mentioned that, Teague is also much quicker going to the basket. I watch him nightly playing in Indy. He averages 15 Points and 8 Assists on a good team, if Teague was the #1 option on a bad team he could score 20 most games/average 20 IMO. Regarding Okafor, it depends on how Philly uses him whether or not he will become an All-Star. He hasn't got huge minutes because Embiid is on that team. He averaged 17 Points and 7 Rebounds as a rookie and shot 51% while Embiid was out- for todays Centers that is close to All-Star caliber. Since Embiid has been out again, he has had several Good games. Okafor's scoring per 36 minutes is close to 19 a game and he shoots 51%, last season it was 21. I am over not taking Okafor but I still think we should've drafted him instead of Russell as we already had Clarkson. Of course in hindsight we all can say Porzingis should've been the choice now because he's better than both.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:40 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
KobeMVP888 wrote:Jeff Teague is meh. Look at his career numbers and compare them to young D'Angelo's. Teague "came into his own" (12.6 ppg, 4.9 apg, 2.4 rpg, 1.6 spg, 33.1 mpg) in his third season when he was 23. D'Angelo Russell will be so much better than him. Russell's shooting percentage will improve dramatically and be at least as good as Teague's 44.7%. DLo's 36 mpg averages about on par with Teague already, including turnovers. It's the shooting percentage that needs to improve. Look at Kemba Walker's second season. Then again, I can see how the eye test would lead you to believe otherwise.

I hope you are right and I am wrong. I want Russell to pan out and be Very Good, if not Great. Teague's FG% is much better but you mentioned that, Teague is also much quicker going to the basket. I watch him nightly playing in Indy. He averages 15 Points and 8 Assists on a good team, if Teague was the #1 option on a bad team he could score 20 most games/average 20 IMO. Regarding Okafor, it depends on how Philly uses him whether or not he will become an All-Star. He hasn't got huge minutes because Embiid is on that team. He averaged 17 Points and 7 Rebounds as a rookie and shot 51% while Embiid was out- for todays Centers that is close to All-Star caliber. Since Embiid has been out again, he has had several Good games. Okafor's scoring per 36 minutes is close to 19 a game and he shoots 51%, last season it was 21. I am over not taking Okafor but I still think we should've drafted him instead of Russell as we already had Clarkson. Of course in hindsight we all can say Porzingis should've been the choice now because he's better than both.

I see it the other way around. Quick is one thing, but skills are another. If D'Angelo was on a good team, he would be a much more confident player. It is always better to be surrounded with superior talent. I like Lou better than Teague.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:46 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:

I see it the other way around. Quick is one thing, but skills are another. If D'Angelo was on a good team, he would be a much more confident player. It is always better to be surrounded with superior talent. I like Lou better than Teague.

I think Lou is the more explosive scorer compared to Teague but Teague is a much better passer. He had 17 Assists recently in a game and gets everyone involved pretty well. He averages 8 Assists a game which isn't Great but Good. He can score in bundles as well but I agree Lou is more dangerous when it comes to scoring. I thought Lou was our best player but he is much older than Russell, Clarkson, Randle, and Ingram. Randle has shown signs of being our best player and through the 1st 20 games I thought he was actually with his double/doubles.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Off topic but I am watching Pacers/Knicks and Teague already has 6 Rebounds in the 1st Quarter. He gives 100% effort and is active in almost every single game. He is only 6'2 and Rebounding isn't his strong suit. My point is I see Russell in many games where he is being lazy or disinterested much more than I do Teague, I watch the Lakers and Pacers more than any other teams.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:04 pm

It figures the one night I bring up Teague off the wall he has a poor shooting night :roflmao: but Russell has these types of nights alot and for a #2 Draft pick that shouldn't happen very often. Russell should already be better than guys like Teague and Clarkson IMO and he's not. A guy like Damien Lillard that got no hype coming out of college and nobody even knew about him, dominated his Rookie season. Just tired of the excuses as you are either good or you aren't. If you get taken in Top 3 of any Draft you better produce and produce quickly and if you don't that draws many red flags. There have been many busts get drafted in the Top 3 but that has nothing to do with Russell being great. We need him to be Very Good or Great in these upcoming seasons, if not then it was a wasted #2 pick. Simple as that.
3Peatkb24

Postby Julius Russell » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:05 am

Russell is the best guard within 3 years of his age.

Ingram will also be a star.
Around 2022.

Postings is playing poorly btw. There was no fear in not picking KP. There was no film.
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:43 am

Julius Russell wrote:Russell is the best guard within 3 years of his age.

Ingram will also be a star.

Around 2022.

Porzingis is playing poorly btw. There was no fear in not picking KP. There was no film.

No film, but he wowed everyone and you can't teach 7'3". He will be an All-Star. Still a super young big.

I am ambivalent about Russell, but I am more in the patient camp than the bust camp. Much of his problem is in his head and playing on a sh!t team will deflate anyone. He does need to start loving basketball 24/7 and give 110% all the time. Also, I would not be surprised if he has minor knee surgery in the off season. I get that he's not a high fly act to begin with, which is fine (neither is James Harden), but I think a lot of his reluctance is related to his knee. We'll see.
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:44 am

3Peatkb24 wrote: .. but Russell has these types of nights alot and for a #2 Draft pick that shouldn't happen very often.

3Peat, do I have to list all the #2 busts for you again? :shrug:
KobeMVP888

Next

Return to LakerTalk