Gm 67 - 03/13/17: Lakers at Nuggets GAME THREAD

Gm 67 - 03/13/17: Lakers at Nuggets GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:50 am

(20-46)Image at Image(31-35)

Monday, March 13, 2017, 7:30 PM PDT
Pepsi Center, Denver, CO

Referees: Bill Spooner (#22), Matt Boland (#18), Marat Kogut (#32)

Line: Nuggets -11.5

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT NUGGETS

BY NBA.COM

The Denver Nuggets have been plagued by inconsistency this season but they seem to have found something at a crucial time to make a run at the playoffs.

Denver finished a 3-1 week that included wins over Boston and at Sacramento on consecutive nights, and they sit a game-and-a-half ahead of Portland with 16 games left in its regular season. The Nuggets will try to make it three straight wins when they host the Los Angeles Lakers on Monday night.

The Nuggets (31-35) bring their high-scoring offense into the matchup but the better news is they have suddenly found their defense. Denver held opponents under 100 points in three of the last four games, a sign the preaching of coach Michael Malone might finally be sinking in.

"We're just trying to play more consistent and make that a priority," rook guard Jamal Murray told The Denver Post after the 105-92 in Sacramento on Saturday night. "We need to play more solid and more tough."

No one was tougher than Gary Harris on Saturday night. He had nine points in the third quarter, benefitting from several nice passes from Mason Plumlee, to help keep the Kings from taking the lead. He finished with 24 points, two off his career high set in Wednesday's loss to red-hot Washington.

"I thought Gary, especially, moved really well without the ball," Plumlee said. "A lot of them were for layups and that's always good."

Denver wants to continue that against the Lakers, who are having as much trouble on the court as off it in another disappointing season for the marquee franchise. Los Angeles has lost nine of its last 10 after Sunday's 118-116 home loss to Philadelphia.

The Lakers (20-46) are in full playing-for-next year mode following a front-office restructuring that gave former great Magic Johnson more control over basketball operations. Sunday, first-year coach Luke Walton shook up his starting lineup, putting rookies David Nwaba and Ivica Zubac with the plan to bring Nick Young off the bench for the first time all season.

With 16 games left, L.A. wants to give some of its young players a chance to show what they can do.

"Nick's been absolutely great for us all year," Walton told The L.A. Times before Sunday's game. "But with giving (Young) so many minutes and wanting to see more of David and see Tyler (Ennis) a little bit before the season end, it's not really fair to him to keep playing four or five minutes per half. We're thinking about making that move and committing even more so to the youth."

Denver is in youth mode, too, but the difference is it is relying on the young players to lead a playoff charge. The Nuggets' best player, center Nikola Jokic, just turned 22, Harris is also 22 and Murray just celebrated his 20th birthday.

In fact, only one regular rotation player, 35-year-old guard Jameer Nelson, is over 29 years old.

That's the team Malone is trying to guide into the playoffs for the first time in four seasons, and wins over teams like the Lakers are paramount to hold off the Trail Blazers, Dallas and Minnesota.

The encouraging sign is the defense Denver has played in its last two games.

"If that can continue, we're going to give ourselves a real chance down the stretch here," Malone told reporters after Saturday's win. "Our guys know it's now or never. We can't wait. If we want to be a consistent team that can win, it has to be defense."

http://www.nba.com/games/20170313/LALDEN#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Gm 67 - 03/13/17: Lakers at Nuggets GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:11 am

Sixteen games left. This season, to me, has been more frustrating than the last two because we started with so much energy and then just hit a brick wall. It's extremely difficult to endure all these dysfunctional changes; I don't think any of us could have foreseen so much drama and confusion from top to bottom for our beloved franchise. We are still the Lakers, and we have our pride and our memories of how great it is to play for multiple championships, and I know we all TRULY BELIEVE that the next Kobe, Shaq, Magic, etc. is over the horizon just waiting for the right time to appear. We have the coach we want, we have a handful of young talent, and now we have a new management staff that seems as eager as us to see the Purple and Gold return to its position at the top of the Pacific Division.

We know that seeing the glass half empty is not an option. Nor is speaking negatively and belittling the team, the staff or ownership. Negativity doesn't help anything, and positivity doesn't hurt anything. We owe this franchise our continued support and loyal fanhood for all the amazing memories it has given us, and when we witness the next rise to championship status, we will be able to say we stood by the team through the whole thing!!!

GO LAKERS!!
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:20 am

lakerevolution wrote:Sixteen games left. This season, to me, has been more frustrating than the last two because we started with so much energy and then just hit a brick wall. It's extremely difficult to endure all these dysfunctional changes; I don't think any of us could have foreseen so much drama and confusion from top to bottom for our beloved franchise. We are still the Lakers, and we have our pride and our memories of how great it is to play for multiple championships, and I know we all TRULY BELIEVE that the next Kobe, Shaq, Magic, etc. is over the horizon just waiting for the right time to appear. We have the coach we want, we have a handful of young talent, and now we have a new management staff that seems as eager as us to see the Purple and Gold return to its position at the top of the Pacific Division.

We know that seeing the glass half empty is not an option. Nor is speaking negatively and belittling the team, the staff or ownership. Negativity doesn't help anything, and positivity doesn't hurt anything. We owe this franchise our continued support and loyal fanhood for all the amazing memories it has given us, and when we witness the next rise to championship status, we will be able to say we stood by the team through the whole thing!!!

GO LAKERS!!

I suppose that what is most bothersome to me is the fact that teams like we are playing tonight have done a better job with their young cores than we have. Kobe's existence did not help matters last season and it appears that Deng and Mozgov might have been a harmful waste of money. When I look at the Bucks, Wolves, Nuggets and even the Sixers and Suns, I can only pray that Rob Pelinka proves to be a true genius.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:28 am

To add to Rev and Ken's Posts. I am absolutely anticipating the off season. Mainly to see where we Draft but what Magic and Rob do in Free Agency/Trades. I don't expect much in Free Agency as that will probably happen more in the summer of 2018 but still curious to see what happens. Only 16 games left and the season is over.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:42 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:To add to Rev and Ken's Posts. I am absolutely anticipating the off season. Mainly to see where we Draft but what Magic and Rob do in Free Agency/Trades. I don't expect much in Free Agency as that will probably happen more in the summer of 2018 but still curious to see what happens. Only 16 games left and the season is over.

IF we keep our pick and wind up drafting Fultz or Ball, expect either Clarkson or Russell to be traded in a blockbuster, perhaps with Julius in the deal, too. Stay tuned.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:12 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:To add to Rev and Ken's Posts. I am absolutely anticipating the off season. Mainly to see where we Draft but what Magic and Rob do in Free Agency/Trades. I don't expect much in Free Agency as that will probably happen more in the summer of 2018 but still curious to see what happens. Only 16 games left and the season is over.

IF we keep our pick and wind up drafting Fultz or Ball, expect either Clarkson or Russell to be traded in a blockbuster, perhaps with Julius in the deal, too. Stay tuned.

Yeah I gotta believe "Magic and Rob" (new catch-phrase) are now looking to bring on a superstar who will agree to shoulder the Alpha Dog role for the team while they surround him with complementary talent. The "who will stay, who will go" questions should get answered by late off-season and then . . we have GOT to hit the ground running.
lakerevolution

Postby Moos » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:38 pm

"I accepted Jeanie Buss apology to Laker fans".
At this time,,, I look forward to the Lakers future.
* I'll be watching some playoff games and definitely the finals.

We are the Lakers..
Moos

Postby Lakers4Life » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:36 pm

This is embarrassing
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:27 pm

Lakers4Life wrote:This is embarrassing

At this point I don't mind the losing because I want to keep our pick but what really is disturbing is how we aren't competitive in some of these games. The Nuggets are an ok team but have a losing record and the game was over at Halftime. Really is embarrassing. We shouldn't be losing to the Nuggets by 28 points.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk