Gm 61 - 02/28/17: Hornets at Lakers GAME THREAD

Gm 61 - 02/28/17: Hornets at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:42 am

(25-34)Image at Image(19-41)

Tuesday, February 28, 2017, 7:30 PM PDT
Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Zach Zarba (#15), Brent Barnaky (#36), Haywoode Workman (#66)

Line: Hornets -4

GAME PREVIEW: HORNETS AT LAKERS

BY NBA.COM

LOS ANGELES -- In a matchup of struggling teams, the Charlotte Hornets face the Los Angeles Lakers on Tuesday night at Staples Center.

The Hornets have stumbled badly during the past two months with a 6-19 record, which includes a 124-121 overtime loss to the Los Angeles Clippers on Sunday. Kemba Walker scored 34 points and Nicolas Batum added 31 points and eight rebounds, but a late turnover cost the Hornets, who are 0-5 this season in overtime.

"We can't really stay focused on it and got to move forward," Batum said of the overtime losses. "And next time, if we get overtime, we got to win this game."

Charlotte (25-34) posted a 99-85 win over the Sacramento Kings on Saturday to end a five-game losing streak and 12-game slide on the road. However, that has been one of the few bright spots for the club in the new year.

A victory over the Lakers would give Charlotte coach Steve Clifford his 150th as head coach of the Hornets. Clifford, in his fourth season, would join Allan Bristow and Paul Silas as the only Hornets coaches to win as many games.

The Hornets have played without forward-center Cody Zeller (quad soreness) and center Miles Plumlee (right calf strain). Zeller has missed the last six games and Plumlee has sat out the last four. Zeller is listed as questionable by the Hornets against the Lakers along with forward Marvin Williams (shoulder strain).

In Zeller's and Plumlee's absences, center Frank Kaminsky has put together solid performances. Kaminsky finished with 16 points and five rebounds before fouling out with 4:21 left in regulation against the Clippers. Kaminsky is averaging 17.7 points and 6.6 rebounds in the past nine games.

"I think he was starting to play better and better before Cody and then Miles both got hurt," Clifford said. "The think I like about it is his defense."

The Lakers (19-41) have lost four in a row and six of their last eight. They also have dropped four straight to the Hornets. In their last meeting in Charlotte on Dec. 20, Los Angeles blew a 19-point first-half lead in a 117-113 loss.

On Sunday, in a 119-98 setback to the San Antonio Spurs, the Lakers fell behind by double digits in the first quarter and were unable to mount a rally.

Coach Luke Walton wasn't pleased with the way the Lakers opened the game.

"We came out (Sunday) and I don't know if it was the early start or what," Walton said. "I love our guys and I'm supportive toward them and I think they did a good job in the second half, but that first half, that can't happen if we're trying to build and trying to get somewhere. That was unacceptable."

Lakers rookie forward Brandon Ingram scored a career-high 22 points against the Spurs on 10-of-15 shooting from the field, but with the exception of point guard D'Angelo Russell (18 points), they were the only starters to score in double figures.

Nineteen Lakers turnovers (resulting in 27 points) also didn't help.

On Monday, the Lakers waived little-used reserve guard Jose Calderon. Calderon averaged 3.3 points and 2.1 assists in 24 games.

http://www.nba.com/games/20170228/CHALAL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Gm 61 - 02/28/17: Hornets at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:29 am

Hornets have been a big disappointment this season. We might win this game.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:38 am

20 wins would be something . . projecting 27 wins. Boy, that 10-10 start really had us fooled. My guess is MAJOR re-tooling in the off-season and a bold, fresh start to 2017-2018. The Warriors will be dominant for a few more years, but the Clippers and Kings are now spiraling back into mediocrity. We have to TAKE our throne back, step by step.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:32 pm

lakerevolution wrote:20 wins would be something . . projecting 27 wins. Boy, that 10-10 start really had us fooled. My guess is MAJOR re-tooling in the off-season and a bold, fresh start to 2017-2018. The Warriors will be dominant for a few more years, but the Clippers and Kings are now spiraling back into mediocrity. We have to TAKE our throne back, step by step.

Whether we keep the pick this year will be huge. If we wind up with the #1 or #2 pick, then it will be interesting to see which of our youngsters, if any will be traded. If we don't keep the pick, then I don't think the shake up will be as big.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:45 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:20 wins would be something . . projecting 27 wins. Boy, that 10-10 start really had us fooled. My guess is MAJOR re-tooling in the off-season and a bold, fresh start to 2017-2018. The Warriors will be dominant for a few more years, but the Clippers and Kings are now spiraling back into mediocrity. We have to TAKE our throne back, step by step.

Whether we keep the pick this year will be huge. If we wind up with the #1 or #2 pick, then it will be interesting to see which of our youngsters, if any will be traded. If we don't keep the pick, then I don't think the shake up will be as big.

Don't know if it means anything but was watching First Take earlier and Stephen A Smith was saying if the Lakers drafted Ball they would probably trade Russell. He isn't sold on Russell and loves Ball playing the Point. If we trade Russell we need to get something in return that is Good. I do think Ball has great potential and a backcourt of he and Clarkson to go with Ingram sounds intriguing. Ball looks better to me than Russell potential wise. He has more size and is a great playmaker. Only time will tell.
3Peatkb24

Postby Julius Russell » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:56 am

Stephen A is a clown.

Ball?

Anywsy, the game was a Good one. Had we not inserted Ennis and the D-Leaguer, we would have won imo.

I don't care about the pick, I care about the kids here.
They are playing better
Julius Russell

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:59 am

Julius Russell wrote:Stephen A is a clown.

Ball?

Anywsy, the game was a Good one. Had we not inserted Ennis and the D-Leaguer, we would have won imo.

They are playing better

I hear ya but I am looking ahead to the future as well. I am not giving up on Russell, was just Posting what Stephen A said. He hears a lot of things around the NBA. We had our chances to win last night and Russell played a great game actually. Who knows what will happen come summer time.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Russell, Randle, Ingram . . they're all surrounding pieces to a true superstar who hopefully will emerge soon. They're all high-level talent and definite pieces in a title team, if we can just hold onto them and make a few more power moves to give them the veteran Kobe-like presence they need to stay motivated. Real close . . .
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:31 pm

Julius Russell wrote:Stephen A is a clown.

Ball?

They are playing better

Not sure why you don't think Ball can be better than Russell? I sure do, he is a much better playmaker and taller and faster. I personally would love to see both play together if I had it my way. I think both could feed off of each other and I also think playng with a player like Ball, Russell's game would improve.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:50 pm

The thing about Russell vs. Ball strictly from the eye test, is that Lonzo Ball is more of a pure point guard in the Jason Kidd mold and seems to have a more natural feel for the position. However, Russell still likes to have the ball in his hands, so I don't know how he and Ball would work in that hypothetical backcourt that has more of a chance of never happening than the constant talk as if it's a done deal. The NBA is such a different beast than college ball which is why all of these draft picks with a few exceptions are crapshoots to begin with. Wasn't Michael Beasley a sure thing? Jay Williams from Duke? Derrick Williams? Just go down every draft for the past 15 seasons. Who would have projected that Nikola Jokic might wind up being the best player from the 2014 draft? Anyway, who knows whether Stephen A. Smith is on to something and, frankly, who cares? Let's talk about that shit after the lottery.
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:26 pm

Fultz >Ball.
Fit and talent.
Julius Russell

Postby Julius Russell » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:27 pm

When Randle plays like he did vs Charlotte, is reminiscent to Lamar Odom when he would have a monster game.
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Julius Russell wrote:When Randle plays like he did vs Charlotte, is reminiscent to Lamar Odom when he would have a monster game.

Bringing it every night is the biggest obstacle for every young player, except for some of the Hall of Famers, which is rarified air. Of course, Lakers fans expect all of our high picks to be in that high altitude.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:46 pm

It's all opinion regarding who will pan out and who doesn't. If you think Russell has the IT factor than you are in his camp, if you don't than your not. I think Ingram has the IT factor and will be our best player in 2 years out of he, Randle, and Russell. Just answer this question without bias love toward Russell, do any of you think he can even be better than a player like Damian Lillard? If not than you don't believe in him. We need him to be better than Lillard to win Championships if we stick with the process. He will never be Magic and I don't expect that, he will never be Westbrook for that matter but in order for us to win Championships which is the goal we need him to have that IT factor considering we are building the team around him. Now if we build around Ingram or a Free Agent we pick up than it is different. As of now this is considered Russell's team until we make a change.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:57 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:It's all opinion regarding who will pan out and who doesn't. If you think Russell has the IT factor than you are in his camp, if you don't than your not. I think Ingram has the IT factor and will be our best player in 2 years out of he, Randle, and Russell. Just answer this question without bias love toward Russell, do any of you think he can even be better than a player like Damian Lillard? If not than you don't believe in him. We need him to be better than Lillard to win Championships if we stick with the process. He will never be Magic and I don't expect that, he will never be Westbrook for that matter but in order for us to win Championships which is the goal we need him to have that IT factor considering we are building the team around him. Now if we build around Ingram or a Free Agent we pick up than it is different. As of now this is considered Russell's team until we make a change.

Probably not, but he just turned 21 and Lillard entered the league when he was 22 and as great as he is, he's imperfect. This is a team sport and while the leadership role is essentially being forced on Russell, maybe it isn't his bag. That doesn't mean that Russell lacks the IT factor though. If he had a player like Paul George playing with him, you'd see a more confident player. He doesn't have any major impact players to work with though and that is where I think people lose sight of reality. You don't have to be Pro-D'Angelo or Anti-D'Angelo. You can just root for him and hope that he and Randle and maybe even Ingram break out next season.
KobeMVP888

Next

Return to LakerTalk