Comparing era's talk, 3Peat's Greatest players

Re: Comparing era's talk, 3Peat's Greatest players

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:14 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:I actually went over to Tom's for the 1st time in a long while and was reading some Posts. The great Tate Posted some video regarding Wilt and than a debate broke out on how great Wilt would be in this era? It's really impossible to compare era's because play back in the 50's and 60's was much different than play in the 80's/90's/and now since 2000. I think Rev said it best, when he basically said I should just do my list's from the 1977 Season and on because that is when the ABA/NBA merged. The NBA then had all the best athlete's and 7 footers combined into 1 league. Best way to probably say who the best players are is to break it down from 1947-1976, and 1977 through the present.

IMO the Top 10 players from the 1947 Season when Basketball started through the 1976 Season were:
1. Wilt Chamberlain - Yes he would be #1 on this list
2. Bill Russell
3. Oscar Robertson
4. Jerry West
5. John Havlicek
6. Elgin Baylor
7. George Mikan
8. Bob Cousy
9. Bob Pettit
10. Walt Frazier

From the 1977 Season- present I would say:
1. Michael Jordan
2. Magic Johnson
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tim Duncan
6. Shaq O'Neal
7. LeBron James
8. Larry Bird
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Moses Malone by a hair over Karl Malone, I would probably put Doctor J at 12.
- These rankings are based on Stats, Overall Games Won, Championships Won, League MVP's Won, Finals MVP's Won, Clutch Play by these players, Dominance At Their Position, Leadership that the players had, and Eye Test. Of course before 1977 I had no eye test but have seen film on the players from 1947-1976 and to me Wilt was #1 on that list. Kareem belongs in the 1977-present era, he won 5 Championships during that time and 2 of his League MVP's as well. 1 of his 2 Finals MVP's were won in that era too which was against the Celtics in 1985! + He played 13 seasons in that era compared to 7 in the other. Kareem did win League MVP in 1977 right after the merge which is big.

If I had to choose 1 guy from the ABA that was the best, that would've been Doctor J. He averaged 28.8 Points per game in his 5 seasons in that league and won 2 Championships and 2 Playoff MVP's. A true unreal talent! He was also named to the All-Time ABA Team.

*updated as of June 13th, 2017 and smokified like my Barbecue Pizza! Regarding All-Time teams I would still take either the 1987 or 1988 Lakers over any team. In those 2 seasons nobody was beating those Lakers! They not only had the frontline to deal with any other team that has played, with Kareem and Worthy (and the addition of Mychal Thompson in 1987 after losing to Houston in 1986) but they had the best Leader in the sport history wise in Magic. Magic is also arguably the GOAT! They also could shoot the 3 with Cooper and Scott to hang with the 3 point shooting teams of today. Coop once hit 7 3's in the Finals vs the Celtics in a game.

Updated, LeBron is 7th on my list since the ABA/NBA merger in the 1977 Season. Duncan is in my Top 5 too, so people cant say my Top 5 is Laker loaded either since the merger :roflmao: ! :yeahthat:
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Previous

Return to LakerTalk