Gm 42 - 01/10/17: Trail Blazers at Lakers GAME THREAD

Gm 42 - 01/10/17: Trail Blazers at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:41 am

(16-23)Image at Image(15-26)

Tuesday, January 10, 2017, 7:30 PM PDT
Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA

Referees: James Capers (#19), Leroy Richardson (#20), Aaron Smith (#51)

Line: Trail Blazers -1

GAME PREVIEW: TRAIL BLAZERS AT LAKERS

BY NBA.COM

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Lakers will attempt to win three in a row for only the second time this season when they face the Portland Trail Blazers on Tuesday at Staples Center.

A 111-95 win over the Orlando Magic on Sunday allowed the Lakers (15-26) to capture two straight victories for the first time in 31 games. The Lakers hadn't won consecutive games since defeating the Sacramento Kings and New Orleans Pelicans in November. The last time Los Angeles claimed three straight wins was Nov. 2-6 when they beat the Atlanta Hawks, Golden State Warriors and Phoenix Suns.

Lakers rookie Brandon Ingram played a prominent role in the last two decisions, which also included a 27-point rout of the Miami Heat on Friday. Ingram has matched his career-best with 17 points in back-to-back contests, shooting 6-of-9 from the floor in both games.

"He is doing everything out there," Los Angeles forward Julius Randle said of Ingram. "Defending, making shots, blocking shots, playing a little bit of point (guard) and is being very versatile out there and he is helping us out a lot."

Randle and point guard D'Angelo Russell also have made valuable contributions. Randle scored a team-high 19 points and collected nine rebounds in Sunday's win. In the last 10 games, Randle is averaging 17.6 points, 8.8 rebounds and 5.5 assists and is shooting 51.1 percent during that stretch.

Russell has delivered with 20.8 points, five assists and 5.2 rebounds in five games this month.

"I think we all knew they had the talent to be really good, but I think the fact that they really stepped up their professionalism as far as the way they're treating their bodies and approaching practice and every opportunity," Lakers coach Luke Walton said. "It's just a direct result of that."

The Trail Blazers (16-23) have been one of the NBA's biggest disappointments this season. Portland has lost nine of its last 12 games, including a 125-124 double overtime defeat by the Detroit Pistons on Sunday.

C.J. McCollum scored 35 points to lead the way for the Blazers against the Pistons, but McCollum missed a game-winning shot at the buzzer.

"I got the shot I wanted, came up a little short," said McCollum, who scored 14 points after regulation. "That happens. We were right there, man. We got stops when we needed to get stops. We kept ourselves in the game. Just that one last possession."

McCollum has been on a roll for Portland. He has scored at least 20 points in seven straight games and topped at least 30 points in nine contests this season.

In five games in January, McCollum is scoring 35 points per contest. He's put up an average of 28.2 points in his last 10 games.

Despite McCollum's outstanding play this season, Damian Lillard remains the Blazers' leader. The point guard averages a team-high 26.6 points and 6.3 assists per game.

The Trail Blazers have owned the Lakers in recent times, winning a franchise-record nine in a row over Los Angeles. Portland recorded a 118-109 decision over the Lakers on Jan. 5 in Portland behind McCollum's 27 points and 21 more from Lillard.

http://www.nba.com/games/20170110/PORLAL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Gm 42 - 01/10/17: Trail Blazers at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:43 am

If all four of our guards (D'Angelo, Nick, Lou, Clarkson) play well, we'll win. If not, then we'll lose.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:57 am

Portland will get up for a game like this . . despite our youth and inconsistency we're STILL the Lakers. Fight, young men, FIGHT!! We need every win we can get after sabotaging our young season with that horrible 2-15 skid. Glad to see Ingram's game coming to him. Any realistic rumors on the trade wire . . . . ?
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:39 am

Start of the 3rd Qtr of the season/2nd Half of the season. Tough test tonight vs the Blazers, their Guards vs our Guards are the key matchups.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:30 pm

I love to see D'Angelo Russell get it more and more each game. His vision is quite underrated and he's now developing a feel for each of his teammates, where they like the ball, etc. Now there's a chemistry developing between him and Luol Deng. I read where Deng has ALWAYS gotten off to slow starts with new head coaches, a great sign. Lakers up by 8, 53-45, but Lillard with nothing. Perhaps D-lo's figuring him out!
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:20 pm

D'Angelo had a horrible 3rd quarter, Randle has sucked all night and the only players who have been solid for us really are Deng, Robinson and Lou. Down 11. Grrrr
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:42 pm

Our Guard play was awful in the 2nd Half and there's wasn't. We played a pretty bad 2nd Half. I see progression in our team but I also see taking steps back like last night. It's called inconsistency and being young so all we can do is hope we get more consistent as the players gain experience. As of now I think Randle is our best player but he is only in the Good category, Lou Williams is actually 2nd best but he is a veteran. I think Russell and Clarkson are both pretty even and Good but far from Great. Ingram probably wont start hitting his Good groove until next season but he has shown improvement. I cant wait until Nance gets back, that was a big loss.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:57 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Our Guard play was awful in the 2nd Half and there's wasn't. We played a pretty bad 2nd Half. I see progression in our team but I also see taking steps back like last night. It's called inconsistency and being young so all we can do is hope we get more consistent as the players gain experience. As of now I think Randle is our best player but he is only in the Good category, Lou Williams is actually 2nd best but he is a veteran. I think Russell and Clarkson are both pretty even and Good but far from Great. Ingram probably wont start hitting his Good groove until next season but he has shown improvement. I cant wait until Nance gets back, that was a big loss.

We don't match up well at all with the Blazers period. We are a young team that will be inconsistent until the end of the season, which is what makes a 30 win season fantastic provided that the growth we see comes along with it. Let's see how we rebound against the Spurs, who will likely toy with us.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:04 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Our Guard play was awful in the 2nd Half and there's wasn't. We played a pretty bad 2nd Half. I see progression in our team but I also see taking steps back like last night. It's called inconsistency and being young so all we can do is hope we get more consistent as the players gain experience. As of now I think Randle is our best player but he is only in the Good category, Lou Williams is actually 2nd best but he is a veteran. I think Russell and Clarkson are both pretty even and Good but far from Great. Ingram probably wont start hitting his Good groove until next season but he has shown improvement. I cant wait until Nance gets back, that was a big loss.

We don't match up well at all with the Blazers period. We are a young team that will be inconsistent until the end of the season, which is what makes a 30 win season fantastic provided that the growth we see comes along with it. Let's see how we rebound against the Spurs, who will likely toy with us.

I think next season our team is really going to be fun to watch after we add perhaps another Good Free Agent and the young guys gaining experience. Like I said I see progression so it's promising. 15 wins already and we only had 17 last season. I am hoping Randle and Russell both take that next step next season and go from Good to Very Good. If that happens we may have something brewing. I would love to eventually see Russell reach Great status but still not sold on it, I put a lot of expectations on him because he was the 2nd pick in his Draft and we chose to pick him over Okafor. He also is basically our leader being the PG. I think Ingram will be consistently Good next season.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:13 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:I would love to eventually to Russell reach Great status but still not sold on it, I put a lot of expectations on him because he was the 2nd pick in his Draft and we chose to pick him over Okafor. He also is basically our leader being the PG. I think Ingram will be consistently Good next season.

There's a better chance than not that he will be an all-star in 2-3 seasons when you look at all the comparisons of the young guards his age over time. His numbers are quite impressive. I also think he passes the eye test with shining colors, too, but that's just my opinion.

KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:34 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:I would love to eventually to Russell reach Great status but still not sold on it, I put a lot of expectations on him because he was the 2nd pick in his Draft and we chose to pick him over Okafor. He also is basically our leader being the PG. I think Ingram will be consistently Good next season.

There's a better chance than not that he will be an all-star in 2-3 seasons when you look at all the comparisons of the young guards his age over time. His numbers are quite impressive. I also think he passes the eye test with shining colors, too, but that's just my opinion.

He's on pace to reach great status but we wont really know for at least 2 more years. Next season I am hoping he plays at an All-Star level with the other Top PG's in the league. All-Star = Very Good/Superstar would be Great. I only expect Very Good play until season 4. By my eye test I see him as a Good player as of now without a doubt but I still don't see him close to being on the Westbrook, Curry, Harden, Lillard, Irving, CP3, Lowry, Conley levels. I know I just named guys that are veterans and the best in the league but my point here is I am not sold he will ever be better than any of those guys and he needs to at least be on that level for us to compete for Titles when the Cavs and Warriors run is over. It's still too early to tell. His Knee problem is a bit bothersome too. He isn't better than Isiah Thomas either for example and Isiah isn't really a big name compared to the other guys I named. My expectations for Russell are just high because he was the 2nd Pick in the Draft. I would put the same expectations on any other player Top 3 (not just Top 2) pick for that matter. I am pretty displeased with Andrew Luck missing the Playoffs for example but he at least has already had 1 Great season statistically and led his team deep in the Playoffs once which he did in his season 3. So I am at ease knowing he's the real deaI if the Colts put a better Defense around him. If you get drafted in the Top 3 of any Draft you need to be Great by season 4 at worse or you are considered a fail, that is just the way it is, you know that. Players like Paul George broke out in season 4 so did Kobe for that matter, season 4 seems to be the magic number for some players. So I will give Russell 2 more seasons before I lay down harsh judgement. I think that is showing major patience not expecting him to be Great until his 4th season.
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk