Gm 37 - 01/01/17: Raptors at Lakers GAME THREAD

Gm 37 - 01/01/17: Raptors at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:11 am

(22-10)Image at Image(12-24)

Sunday, January 1, 2017, 6:30 PM PDT
Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Scott Foster (#48), Eric Dalen (#37), Ben Taylor (#46)

Line: Raptors -8.5

GAME PREVIEW: RAPTORS AT LAKERS

BY NBA.COM

LOS ANGELES -- A visit to the City of Angels might be what the Toronto Raptors need to kick off the New Year on a high note.

The Raptors (22-10) will try to end a two-game slide when they play the reeling Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday at Staples Center.

The Raptors, who will be making the fifth stop on a six-game trip, lost to the Phoenix Suns 99-91 in their last outing on Thursday. Toronto, which fell to the Golden State Warriors on Wednesday, is 2-2 on its current journey.

Against the Suns, forward Patrick Patterson left the game with a strained left knee. Patterson, a key contributor off the bench, is listed as questionable.

"It takes away a spacer, a floor spacer and a knockdown shooter from three," Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry told the Toronto Sun regarding Patterson. "It takes a guy out who can guard bigger guys, but you know, it's next man up."

Lowry and Toronto guard DeMar DeRozan have stepped up their usually stellar play this season, particularly in December. Lowry connected on a franchise-record 59 3-pointers during 14 games in last month -- the most made in any month by a Raptor. Dee Brown, who made 54 3-pointers in April 1999, held the previous record.

Lowry's 59 3-pointers ranks second in NBA history behind Houston Rockets guard Eric Gordon's 66 treys in the same month.

DeRozan, a native of nearby Compton, has been one of the NBA's top performers this season. In December, DeRozan, who was sixth in the league in scoring at 27.4 points per game heading into Saturday's games, averaged a team-high 25.5 points last month when the Raptors posted a 10-4 record.

DeRozan, who scored 30 or more points in five of those games, surpassed Chris Bosh to become the franchise scoring leader with 10,314 points in the loss to the Warriors. DeRozan also is the club leader in games played with 553.

The Lakers (12-24) can only marvel at the Raptors' success. Los Angeles can't seem to find its way out of recent tailspin, resulting in losses in six of the last seven games and 14 of 16.

In the Lakers' last game on Thursday, they were clearly outplayed in the second half of a 101-89 loss to the Dallas Mavericks.

"I'm very frustrated, but I'm still trying keep it all in perspective," Lakers forward Julius Randle said.

Much of the Lakers' frustrations have been the result of their defense. The Lakers ranked 27th in opponents' scoring at 110.1 per game. They also have allowed the opposition to shoot 47.9 percent from the field, which was the league's worst.

"I really thought we had turned a corner a little bit. I mean obviously you don't fix everything overnight, but I thought we had made some big progress," Lakers coach Luke Walton said.

"I was disappointed to see that we had the same type of result again in a very similar game to what we have seen in the past week or two, but I'm still very confident that our group is going to get it."

They will be pressed to do so against Toronto. The Raptors have captured the last four meetings with the Lakers.

http://www.nba.com/games/20170101/TORLAL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Gm 37 - 01/01/17: Raptors at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:34 am

3Peat checking in. I actually worked last night, not only did I work I worked 18 hours and didn't get off until 6am this morning. Everyone wanted off last night and I was invited to a couple of parties but I couldn't pass on the easy money, everything after midnight was Holiday Pay. I am up now and good to go. Watching Football all day today and the Lakers play as well. Go Lakers! My turn to party now, Happy New Year Brethren.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:24 pm

Apologies for being M.I.A. for the last few days -- the holiday hangover and a busy schedule have kept me kind of unplugged from the world for a little while. I also need Nuggs (or someone who can) to send me my current password for this site; I had to get a new phone and haven't been able to log-in on it . . I normally do most of my blogging on my mobile during the day.

As for the Lakers . . WOW -- the stat line for this game is disconcerting. Deng with 30 minutes of virtual nothingness, Mozgov not much better, Randle and Lou shooting like shit . . it was basically Lowry and DeRozan vs. D'Angelo and Nick, and we know how that's gonna go. Since starting out 10-10, we've gone 2-15! Some excuses/reasons for it, but MAAAN -- what the F is going on Luke??
lakerevolution

Postby Julius Russell » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:41 am

When Ingram starts hitting jumpers and Clarkson finds himself we'll be dangerous.

When Randle gets his jumper down and Nance as well as we could be special.

We have the right kids. They're just kids.
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:08 am

I have a feeling that Mozgov is going to wind up being the highest paid bench warmer in the league. Deng and Lou were awful last night, but probably because the focus was on the kids. Nick's been hot though. That was a growth game, but the kids need to remember what it's like to win. Everyone will have to play well in the same game for that to happen any time soon.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:42 pm

We were simply out matched last night. As of now the Raptors are probably the 4th or 5th best team in the league. Warriors, Cavs, and Spurs are the Elite. Then you have the Rockets and Raptors IMO, Clippers are wishy washy and wont make it past Round 2. I would trust the Thunder more than I would the Clippers in the Playoffs because they Mr Triple Double.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk