Shaq is getting his statue in front of Staples Center

Shaq is getting his statue in front of Staples Center

Postby Lakers4Life » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:47 am

Lakers4Life

Re: Shaq is getting his statue in front of Staples Center

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:03 pm

Craig, why don't we see if we can go to that game? Robert, you interested? Anyone else?
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Of course
Julius Russell

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Sounds good to me!
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Very well deserved. I am not sure if any team will 3Peat again, It hasn't been done since the Lakers did it in 2002. Shaq is only 1 of 2 players in NBA history to win 3 straight Finals MVP's and he did it from 2000-2002 in a Lakers uniform. Very dominant Center and a top 10 player of all-time IMO.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:54 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Very well deserved. I am not sure if any team will 3Peat again, It hasn't been done since the Lakers did it in 2002. Shaq is only 1 of 2 players in NBA history to win 3 straight Finals MVP's and he did it from 2000-2002 in a Lakers uniform. Very dominant Center and a top 10 player of all-time IMO.

If he wasn't so BIG, he wouldn't have been able to dominate in certain games like he did. I just have a hard time automatically awarding him a top-ten rank when he simply used his size and did what he was paid and expected to do. I'd be comfortable with him getting pushed down to top 15 in order to let more versatile and team-centric players like Bird stay ranked above him. I will eternally be grateful for the genius of Jerry, Jerry, Mitch and Phil for getting Shaq to play his best basketball in a Lakers uniform, but adjusting for his size and athleticism he didn't do anything a center of his stature wouldn't be expected to do. He had great guards and forwards surrounding him - players who were experts at getting him the ball. He was fed. Without Kobe, the Lakers would have been Orlando Magic West.
lakerevolution

Postby Lakers4Life » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:37 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:Craig, why don't we see if we can go to that game? Robert, you interested? Anyone else?

Let's Do It!! Let's make it a party!! Kenny, Matt, Craig, Robert &...,..who else is going to join us? Maybe Frank? 3-Peat?
Lakers4Life

Postby Julius Russell » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:56 am

As Petty as Shaq could be, can't deny his impact on the resurgence of the Lakers lore. Maybe the last iconic big man in the game. Let alone in the purple and gold.
I'm not a what could have been type, 3 in a row is crazy. Took 2 icons.
LeBron is the only icon currently.
Curry and KD are probably the closest two to that status but not quite

The game went small and pick and rolls increase to neutralize that man
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:40 am

Lakers4Life wrote:
KobeMVP888 wrote:Craig, why don't we see if we can go to that game? Robert, you interested? Anyone else?

Let's Do It!! Let's make it a party!! Kenny, Matt, Craig, Robert &...,..who else is going to join us? Maybe Frank? 3-Peat?

I'll look into getting seats together in the Premier section. I'm guessing Frank would want to go, too.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:22 am

Julius Russell wrote:As Petty as Shaq could be, can't deny his impact on the resurgence of the Lakers lore. Maybe the last iconic big man in the game. Let alone in the purple and gold.
I'm not a what could have been type, 3 in a row is crazy. Took 2 icons.
LeBron is the only icon currently.
Curry and KD are probably the closest two to that status but not quite

The game went small and pick and rolls increase to neutralize that man

3 in a row is crazy! That is so rare in the NBA. LeBron will never win 3 in a row, nor will the Warriors with the loaded teams they have after losing last season. Pop has never even repeated.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:24 am

Lakers4Life wrote:

If I lived in Cali it would be a no brainer, I would be there. All you guys should go and make a night of it.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:59 am

lakerevolution wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Very well deserved. I am not sure if any team will 3Peat again, It hasn't been done since the Lakers did it in 2002. Shaq is only 1 of 2 players in NBA history to win 3 straight Finals MVP's and he did it from 2000-2002 in a Lakers uniform. Very dominant Center and a top 10 player of all-time IMO.

If he wasn't so BIG, he wouldn't have been able to dominate in certain games like he did. I just have a hard time automatically awarding him a top-ten rank when he simply used his size and did what he was paid and expected to do. I'd be comfortable with him getting pushed down to top 15 in order to let more versatile and team-centric players like Bird stay ranked above him. I will eternally be grateful for the genius of Jerry, Jerry, Mitch and Phil for getting Shaq to play his best basketball in a Lakers uniform, but adjusting for his size and athleticism he didn't do anything a center of his stature wouldn't be expected to do. He had great guards and forwards surrounding him - players who were experts at getting him the ball. He was fed. Without Kobe, the Lakers would have been Orlando Magic West.

That's why a lot of people believe when ranking players, Floor Players and Centers should be in a different category. They are almost impossible to compare to one another. Of course Larry Bird was a better basketball player than Shaq but was he more dominant than Shaq, does he have a better resume than Shaq - NO. When creating players lists a lot of different criteria has to go into it. Also when a person does a greatest player list it depends on the person's preference. As in does that person value a Center more or a Floor Player more? Would you rather want Kareem or LeBron for example?
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:43 pm

When I saw Tim come into the league from Wake Forest and re-invent the PF/C position by hitting turnaround bank shots from the post and using dipsy-doodle trickery over pure athleticism (with a helping of Pop's great floor spacing), I knew that he was going to be trouble for traditional centers. When Shaq had to watch Tim as a rookie get that *asterisk Trophy, he seemed to get focused and immediately expand his paint game with all types of little finesse moves, ball control and a versatility (as a bigger/more imposing player than he was during his Orlando days) that nobody had ever seen. His titles, Finals MVPs and statues are a testimony to those few years between 2000 and 2003, as he was never the same creative, dominant force after that. Am I appreciative? Yes. Am I thankful? Yes. Do I think he gets WAAAY too much credit? :dedhors:

He'd WHOOP Timmy's ASS in a free throw contest, though!!! :duel:
lakerevolution

Return to LakerTalk