Gm 21 - 12/02/16: Lakers at Raptors GAME THREAD

Gm 21 - 12/02/16: Lakers at Raptors GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:09 am

(10-10)Image at Image(12-6)

Friday, December 2, 2016, 4:30 PM PDT
Air Canada Centre

Referees: Sean Corbin (#33), Mark Ayotte (#56), Derek Richardson (#63)

Line: Raptors -10.5

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT RAPTORS

BY NBA.COM

TORONTO -- After the Toronto Raptors were pushed to the limit before defeating the depleted Memphis Grizzlies on Wednesday, coach Dwane Casey is urging his team to put up a "defensive presence" from the start of their game Friday against the visiting Los Angeles Lakers.

If the Raptors were caught underestimating a Grizzlies team that was hit by absences to key players, they plan to be ready for the Lakers, who are coming off a 96-90 win over the Chicago Bulls on Wednesday.

"They're playing well right now with a lot of confidence," Casey said of the Lakers on Thursday. "A very talented offensive team."

"Our guys have proven that when their backs are against the wall they can step up for a challenge," Lakers coach Luke Walton said. "They did it (Wednesday night). That's a great win against a very good team. Held them to I think 35 percent from the field shooting, which is all we talked about pregame, was defense. That's it. Defense. If you're committed to the defensive end on basketball, you always give yourself a chance."

Both teams are in the middle of busy schedules. The Lakers (10-10) are playing their third game in four nights during a stretch in which they will play four games in five days, all on the road.

The Raptors (12-6) are playing the second in stretch of three games in four nights, all at home as they enjoy a six-game homestand.

Los Angeles will be without shooting guard Nick Young, who suffered a strained right calf muscle in the loss to the Pelicans in New Orleans on Tuesday. He will be out from two to four weeks.

Young likely would have been guarding Toronto's top scorer, shooting guard DeMar DeRozan.

"We put Nick on the other team's best player a lot this year," Walton said. "And he's done a great job making them work. So it's not just the shooting we're going to miss. We're definitely going to miss his defense, the energy he brings. The confidence his teammates get when he hits good shots. We're going to miss a lot."

Rookie Brandon Ingram played in Young's place in Chicago.

Lakers point guard D'Angelo Russell is expected to miss at least another week with a left-knee injury.

The 120-105 score in the Raptors' win over the Grizzlies does not indicate the way the game played out. Memphis pulled within one point of Toronto with 9:10 to play before it began to miss shots and turn the ball over.

The Raptors were given a boost by 16 points and eight rebounds off the bench by guard Cory Joseph as they won their fourth game in a row.

"I thought his energy rubbed off (on his teammates) late in the game," Casey said Thursday. "Because the first part of the game we were in a malaise as far as focus and energy. I think he came in a got us going. And Pat (Patrick Patterson, who had 14 points and 13 rebounds) came in and got us going ... with his defense and energy."

Los Angeles brings familiar faces in former Raptors guards Jose Calderon and Lou Williams.

Williams leads the Lakers in scoring at 16.7 points while DeRozan is averaging 28.9 to pace Toronto.

The Raptors are 6-3 a home and Los Angeles 4-8 on the road.

http://www.nba.com/games/20161202/LALTOR#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Gm 21 - 12/02/16: Lakers at Raptors GAME THREAD

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:10 pm

This will be a tough game. Hopefully Lou and Clarky are hitting their shots and Randle controls the Boards.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:26 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:This will be a tough game. Hopefully Lou and Clarky are hitting their shots and Randle controls the Boards.

They got some rest and some confidence. I like the match up of Ingram on Mr. Mid Range Game and Randle/Nance against their power forwards, who play with similar energy. If Ingram gets in foul trouble, perhaps Luke will throw MWP on DeRozan to fuck him up. Mozzy should be able to frustrate Valanciunas. They have a nice second unit, but our second unit has proven that it can outscore any in the league. It's that damn Kyle Lowry who I fear the most in this game, but Lou Williams is a former teammate, so maybe he has some sage wisdom to impart on the coaching staff about Lowry. I think we have a shot at this one. We were 10 point 'dogs vs. Chicago, so what's 10.5 points? Let's get this one!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:29 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:This will be a tough game. Hopefully Lou and Clarky are hitting their shots and Randle controls the Boards.

They got some rest and some confidence. I like the match up of Ingram on Mr. Mid Range Game and Randle/Nance against their power forwards, who play with similar energy. If Ingram gets in foul trouble, perhaps Luke will throw MWP on DeRozan to fuck him up. Mozzy should be able to frustrate Valanciunas. They have a nice second unit, but our second unit has proven that it can outscore any in the league. It's that damn Kyle Lowry who I fear the most in this game, but Lou Williams is a former teammate, so maybe he has some sage wisdom to impart on the coaching staff about Lowry. I think we have a shot at this one. We were 10 point 'dogs vs. Chicago, so what's 10.5 points? Let's get this one!

The great thing about this season so far, I always feel like we have a chance no matter who we play. We have several go to guys and any given night a player or 2 can get red hot for us. Who knows, a player like Ingram is even due as of now to go off and he's capable of it. He can shoot the 3.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:47 pm

Luke and the Magnificent Seven probably don't even know what they're capable of after last night's win. Certainly the Raptors can be threatened if we can tussle with teams like the Hawks, Bulls, Warriors and Thunder. 48 minutes of disciplined (SINGLE-DIGIT TURNOVERS PLEASE) basketball and a thirst for great team D will - as Luke said last night - put us in a position to win any game . . unless it's a butt-hurt Warriors team tired of losing to the upstart Lakers.

No more injuries, stay the course, we're kind of already playing with house money until we're at full-strength again. No worries.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:53 pm

That was ugly! Lost by 33. The Rook scored 17 Points though on 8-16 shooting to find something positive out of this.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:11 pm

Yeah Ingram went for 17, 6 and 2 in 35 minutes for a -24 which isn't great - but when Moz and Deng play a combined 42 minutes and contribute only 4 points and 7 rebounds, you can't expect too much. Clarkie, Tariq and Lou had shitty shooting nights, and Julius gave the ball away five times as well. It seems we'll have these feast-and-famine nights as the season progresses, which makes it hard to know what kind of team we really have. The Raps did what they were supposed to do . . but I would have thought we could slow Lowry down considering he's their low-budget Westbrook.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:35 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Yeah Ingram went for 17, 6 and 2 in 35 minutes for a -24 which isn't great - but when Moz and Deng play a combined 42 minutes and contribute only 4 points and 7 rebounds, you can't expect too much. Clarkie, Tariq and Lou had shitty shooting nights, and Julius gave the ball away five times as well. It seems we'll have these feast-and-famine nights as the season progresses, which makes it hard to know what kind of team we really have. The Raps did what they were supposed to do . . but I would have thought we could slow Lowry down considering he's their low-budget Westbrook.

I think we are holding up well considering Russell is out. We really wont know what kind of team we have until he gets healthy. That is a big loss to injury, any team that loses their starting PG and a go to guy should struggle a bit.
3Peatkb24

Postby Julius Russell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:39 pm

Ingram is developing.

That's the only positive thing I can say
Julius Russell

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:44 pm

Julius Russell wrote:Ingram is developing.

That's the only positive thing I can say

After 20 games, what do you (we) think is his main malfunction (or growing opportunity as they say in the corporate world)? He's YES very skinny - skinnier than KD was as a rook - but I like the first-step slashability and unpredictable nature of his game. He's not a paint-man, but he can learn to venture low and get Randle-like buckets. He's not a 24-footer either, but when his itty-bitty eyes open up a bit he may find that stroke. So . . what kind of NBA player is he to become? Will we (or a team we trade him to) have to be patient and help him develop into a future star, or will he take it upon himself to mature and find his way like those guys on the Wolves are doing?

So many questions but this IS the climb.
lakerevolution

Postby Julius Russell » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:26 am

Legend potential. But only time will tell.
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:15 am

The Raptors are a very good team with an excellent bench. They certainly knew what they were doing regarding the Biyombo situation because they had an excellent back up plan. I actually really like their team and I think they can give the Cavs a run for their money this season. Lowry killed us as I suspected he would. More growth from Ingram.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:01 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:The Raptors are a very good team with an excellent bench. They certainly knew what they were doing regarding the Biyombo situation because they had an excellent back up plan. I actually really like their team and I think they can give the Cavs a run for their money this season. Lowry killed us as I suspected he would. More growth from Ingram.

To me they look like the 2nd best team in the East, Pacers and Celtics are underachieving so far. If Wade was 5 years younger I think the Bulls would be a threat to the Cavs but I don't see them as a contender even though Butler is a stud.
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk