Mid-season grades (1st quarter thread combined)

Re: My Lakers 1st QTR grades! 20 games down.

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:45 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:I was pretty enthusiastic through 20 games about this team possibly being around .500 this season and maybe being a threat to make the Playoffs but these last 2 weeks have brought me back down to earth and my 30 win prediction before the season started looks more realistic unfortunately. Injuries have hurt us of late and we are a really bad Defensive team as well. I still think we are making progress and we deserved all the high grades I gave the team through 20 games but so far the so-called 2nd Qtr of the season hasn't produced a win yet. 6 straight losses so far, I hope we can end that streak tonight at Sacramento.

So if we had done the usual first trimester grades after tonight's game, how would your grades differ? Get back to me tomorrow with that!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:49 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:I was pretty enthusiastic through 20 games about this team possibly being around .500 this season and maybe being a threat to make the Playoffs but these last 2 weeks have brought me back down to earth and my 30 win prediction before the season started looks more realistic unfortunately. Injuries have hurt us of late and we are a really bad Defensive team as well. I still think we are making progress and we deserved all the high grades I gave the team through 20 games but so far the so-called 2nd Qtr of the season hasn't produced a win yet. 6 straight losses so far, I hope we can end that streak tonight at Sacramento.

So if we had done the usual first trimester grades after tonight's game, how would your grades differ? Get back to me tomorrow with that!

Probably not much but I graded Randle an A and same for Clarkson and over the last 6 games they haven't played at an A level. I had Randle being our best player through 20 games and If I were to grade now I would say Lou Williams is. It was close between Randle, Clarkson, and Lou anyway and over the losing streak Lou has had some huge scoring games including a 40 Point game. Things can change over even a 2 week period as funny as that seems. That is why every 20 game increment is different.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:53 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Starters
Russell - B, would be an A but he has been injured. Still a solid B as when he has been in he hasn't disappointed!
Young - A-, miles better than last season but he is now injured and missed tonight's game.
Deng - D, not an F but he has been disappointing so far! He has done some things that have helped the team but looks lost at times.
Randle - A
Mozzy - C, I went C as he has filled his role decent at times but is Average at best. He is better than Sacre or Roy!

Bench
Clarkson - A
Sweet Lou - A
Ingram - C, the Rook has struggled but he is a Rookie and has had a couple of Good games. Cant go higher than a C but he isn't lower than a C either as he is just a Rookie.
Nance - B
Black - C, like Mozzy he has filled a decent role but nothing to brag about.
Calderon - C, being asked to do what is needed at times but it's tough to give a player higher than a C when he doesn't contribute much.
Huertas - Incomplete. He doesn't play enough for me to grade him.
MWP - Incomplete. He doesn't play enough for me to grade him.
Zubac - Incomplete. He doesn't play enough for me to grade him.

Head Coach
Luke Walton A+ I never give out A+'s but he deserves it for guiding us to a 10-10 record in the 1st Qtr of the season with Russell being out several games. We only won 17 games last season and already have 10 heading into December.

*Best player award so far is tough because we play as a solid unit but I would say Randle over Clarkson and Sweet Lou by a nose. Randle's Rebounding has been beastly and he is a Good scorer to go with that! He brings an attitude to the team that is needed. He has also played through a hip injury which is tough to do. He has missed 4 games but has played for the most part.

*Overall team grade = B, normally at .500 I would say C but because we only won 17 games last season and have had some key injuries I say B. This team is actually over achieving and that is why I gave Luke an A+. I do want to add we have had a Bitch of a schedule as well, so 10-10 is a solid B at this point IMO.

Addition: I didn't forget Thomas Robinson but he just simply gets an Incomplete like Huertas, MWP, and Zubac. Hasn't played enough for a grade IMO. I also made the needed corrections to my original Post as well. All done here for tonight, Go Lakers!

2nd Qtr grades, I quoted my 1st Qtr grades so we can compare! Remember these grades are based on the last 21 games.
Starters
Russell B
Young B+
Deng C-
Randle A
Mozzy C

Bench

Clarkson B
Sweet Lou A-
Ingram B-
Nance Incomplete due to injury
Black Incomplete due to injury
Robinson C

Calderon Incomplete due to not playing much
Huertus Incomplete due to not playing much
MWP Incomplete due to not playing much
Zubac Incomplete due to not playing much

HeadCoach

Luke Walton B

*Best player award for this Qtr is Randle IMO. He wins this award again, he has been slightly better than Sweet Lou and better than players like Russell and Clarkson in these last 21 games.

*Overall team grade = D , 5-16 over the last 21 games isn't good but it isn't F play. Injuries to Nance and Black have hampered the team. Nance earned a B in my 1st Qtr grades, that has been big loss for some of this Qtr IMO.

Through 41 games I would grade the team a C, 15-26 normally would be Below Average but because we only won 17 games last season and on pace to win 30 I say a C is appropriate.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:05 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:Here are my first quarter grades:

The Team: B+ Even though they are exceeding everyone's expectations, the starting five still hasn't gotten out of the gates and there are simply too many turnovers, many of which are the result of flat out dumb passes, points off of turnovers given up, porous interior defense and too many offensive rebounds/put backs allowed. I realize I am being picky and hard on a young team, but these are things that will be cleaned up, but that still frustrate me.

Luke and the Staff: A+ Yeah, I know. That is almost in full contradiction to my first grade, but the coaches don't play.

The Starters: D I have faith that once we're healthy again, this grade will improve.

The Bench: A+ Perhaps the best in the league. I suspect that Luke will leave it alone. Very exciting and seemingly a perfect blend of talent!

The Finishers: B+ Luke puts the 5 players on the floor who have had the best games and it has been a joy to watch. We have proven that we can compete with playoff teams down the stretch, even when we lose. The two Golden State blowout losses don't count.

The Players:

D'Angelo Russell: B (much improved; much to be improved)
Julius Randle: A- (at 22, he's already better and stronger than most NBA power forwards)
Nick Young: A- (Comeback Player of the Year?)
Luol Deng: D (a big disappointment so far)
Timofey Mozgov: C- (he is who he is; refs have forgotten about the verticality rule with him)
Jordan Clarkson: B+ (love him, but he's frustrating)
Lou Williams: A+ (Just a joy to watch!)
Larry Nance, Jr.: A (most fundamentally sound player on the team; his defense and high hoops IQ are incredible and just getting better)
Brandon Ingram: B (his defense makes up for his "Welcome to the NBA" scoring woes; a future DPOY candidate)
Tarik Black: B (I love him; leaves it all out on the floor. A fantastic compliment to Nance, Jr.)
Thomas Robinson: B (Great motor; quality minutes; can play with anyone out there)
Jose Calderon: C- (he's old and it shows; hurts us)
Marcelo Huertas: D (see Calderon. Not enough minutes to grade, but I'd look for a 3/D shooting guard to replace him on the roster)
Metta World Peace: C ("I love basketball" earned him the C. He should also be replaced on the roster at some point this season)
Ivica Zubac: Incomplete (Barring an injury to Mozzy or Black, we won't see much of him this season)

Mid-season grades*:

*A= Exceeding expectations
B= Meeting expectations
C= Below expectations
D= Disappointing
F= Stinks

The Team: B Although the second quarter of the season produced a terrible 5-16 record, what more could you expect from a young team who was without its young leader, D'Angelo Russell, for stretch, not to mention the injuries to Tarik Black, Larry Nance and a couple of games without Julius Randle? Young Coach Luke Walton also went through some growing pains during this stretch that included a brutal schedule. Even after a 6 game road trip, they came "home" for 1 game and then had to fly out again for some more brutality. I know there are no "excuses," but these are the lessons that young teams must learn, so finishing this quarter with a 3-2 record after weathering that storm is very encouraging. The improvement in Russell, Randle and Ingram is beginning to show and, hopefully, the 10-10 bench will get back to its ways once Nance returns and the starters will continue their improvement playing together, including Mozgov and Deng.

Luke and The Staff: B Luke's grade dropped. One example I will point to is his failure to slide Thomas Robinson into Nance's role early enough and, as it turns out, he and Tarik Black play very well together albeit it is different than the way Black and Nance play together. He also made some very questionable decisions on his rotations and who was on the floor at the end of games. In other words, he couldn't quite figure out how to keep the chemistry going after the rash of injuries. Growing pains, but he met expectations nonetheless and has us playing well again.

The Starters: B- Deng is finally playing well, Mozgov is pretty much doing what is expected of him and looks more comfortable with his young teammates, Randle and Russell are show confidence and Nick Young git hot for a stretch. Fortunately, now that he's reverting to being Nick Young again, others have stepped it up. Hopefully after the third quarter of the season, we can give this group a better grade.

The Bench: B- The grade had to drop, but the Black-Nance-Ingram-Clarkson-Lou combo was disrupted. They still outscored the opponents' benched most of the time, but they also play more minutes. Those minutes are going down now with Russell and Randle's minutes increasing, so it will be interesting to track their production during the second half of the season.

The Finishers: C- It just ain't what it was during 10-10. The fight went out of us too often down the stretch of games. Perhaps we are getting that back now.

The Players:

D'Angelo Russell: B+ (came back from injury and looks like his game went up another level; more comfort and dimes, fewer turnovers, an improved post game and getting to the rim)
Julius Randle: A (at 22, he's already better and stronger than most NBA power forwards)
Nick Young: A- (Comeback Player of the Year? In a bit of a slump now, but overall his grade stays the same)
Luol Deng: C+ (clearly he's figuring it out, but needs to be more consistent)
Timofey Mozgov: C (he is who he is; refs have forgotten about the verticality rule with him; more effective low post defender than given credit for)
Jordan Clarkson: B- (too inconsistent, questionable BBall IQ, Great when he's Good, a liability when he's Bad. Needs to share the ball better)
Lou Williams: B+ (A joy to watch, but not responding well to fewer minutes)
Larry Nance, Jr.: A (most fundamentally sound player on the team; his defense and high hoops IQ are incredible and just getting better; I left his grade alone despite his injury)
Brandon Ingram: C+ (his entire game is rounding out, but not until VERY recently; had a poor second quarter)
Tarik Black: B (I love him; leaves it all out on the floor. A fantastic compliment to Nance, Jr.; I left his grade alone despite his injury )
Thomas Robinson: A (Has taken complete advantage of his minutes)
Jose Calderon: I (see 3Peat)
Marcelo Huertas: I (see 3Peat)
Metta World Peace: A, but F (Why not? :D )
Ivica Zubac: I (see 3Peat)
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:59 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
KobeMVP888 wrote:Here are my first quarter grades:

The Team: B+ Even though they are exceeding everyone's expectations, the starting five still hasn't gotten out of the gates and there are simply too many turnovers, many of which are the result of flat out dumb passes, points off of turnovers given up, porous interior defense and too many offensive rebounds/put backs allowed. I realize I am being picky and hard on a young team, but these are things that will be cleaned up, but that still frustrate me.

Luke and the Staff: A+ Yeah, I know. That is almost in full contradiction to my first grade, but the coaches don't play.

The Starters: D I have faith that once we're healthy again, this grade will improve.

The Bench: A+ Perhaps the best in the league. I suspect that Luke will leave it alone. Very exciting and seemingly a perfect blend of talent!

The Finishers: B+ Luke puts the 5 players on the floor who have had the best games and it has been a joy to watch. We have proven that we can compete with playoff teams down the stretch, even when we lose. The two Golden State blowout losses don't count.

The Players:

D'Angelo Russell: B (much improved; much to be improved)
Julius Randle: A- (at 22, he's already better and stronger than most NBA power forwards)
Nick Young: A- (Comeback Player of the Year?)
Luol Deng: D (a big disappointment so far)
Timofey Mozgov: C- (he is who he is; refs have forgotten about the verticality rule with him)
Jordan Clarkson: B+ (love him, but he's frustrating)
Lou Williams: A+ (Just a joy to watch!)
Larry Nance, Jr.: A (most fundamentally sound player on the team; his defense and high hoops IQ are incredible and just getting better)
Brandon Ingram: B (his defense makes up for his "Welcome to the NBA" scoring woes; a future DPOY candidate)
Tarik Black: B (I love him; leaves it all out on the floor. A fantastic compliment to Nance, Jr.)
Thomas Robinson: B (Great motor; quality minutes; can play with anyone out there)
Jose Calderon: C- (he's old and it shows; hurts us)
Marcelo Huertas: D (see Calderon. Not enough minutes to grade, but I'd look for a 3/D shooting guard to replace him on the roster)
Metta World Peace: C ("I love basketball" earned him the C. He should also be replaced on the roster at some point this season)
Ivica Zubac: Incomplete (Barring an injury to Mozzy or Black, we won't see much of him this season)

Mid-season grades*:

*A= Exceeding expectations
B= Meeting expectations
C= Below expectations
D= Disappointing
F= Stinks

The Team: B Although the second quarter of the season produced a terrible 5-16 record, what more could you expect from a young team who was without its young leader, D'Angelo Russell, for stretch, not to mention the injuries to Tarik Black, Larry Nance and a couple of games without Julius Randle? Young Coach Luke Walton also went through some growing pains during this stretch that included a brutal schedule. Even after a 6 game road trip, they came "home" for 1 game and then had to fly out again for some more brutality. I know there are no "excuses," but these are the lessons that young teams must learn, so finishing this quarter with a 3-2 record after weathering that storm is very encouraging. The improvement in Russell, Randle and Ingram is beginning to show and, hopefully, the 10-10 bench will get back to its ways once Nance returns and the starters will continue their improvement playing together, including Mozgov and Deng.

Luke and The Staff: B Luke's grade dropped. One example I will point to is his failure to slide Thomas Robinson into Nance's role early enough and, as it turns out, he and Tarik Black play very well together albeit it is different than the way Black and Nance play together. He also made some very questionable decisions on his rotations and who was on the floor at the end of games. In other words, he couldn't quite figure out how to keep the chemistry going after the rash of injuries. Growing pains, but he met expectations nonetheless and has us playing well again.

The Starters: B- Deng is finally playing well, Mozgov is pretty much doing what is expected of him and looks more comfortable with his young teammates, Randle and Russell are show confidence and Nick Young git hot for a stretch. Fortunately, now that he's reverting to being Nick Young again, others have stepped it up. Hopefully after the third quarter of the season, we can give this group a better grade.

The Bench: B- The grade had to drop, but the Black-Nance-Ingram-Clarkson-Lou combo was disrupted. They still outscored the opponents' benched most of the time, but they also play more minutes. Those minutes are going down now with Russell and Randle's minutes increasing, so it will be interesting to track their production during the second half of the season.

The Finishers: C- It just ain't what it was during 10-10. The fight went out of us too often down the stretch of games. Perhaps we are getting that back now.

The Players:

D'Angelo Russell: B+ (came back from injury and looks like his game went up another level; more comfort and dimes, fewer turnovers, an improved post game and getting to the rim)
Julius Randle: A (at 22, he's already better and stronger than most NBA power forwards)
Nick Young: A- (Comeback Player of the Year? In a bit of a slump now, but overall his grade stays the same)
Luol Deng: C+ (clearly he's figuring it out, but needs to be more consistent)
Timofey Mozgov: C (he is who he is; refs have forgotten about the verticality rule with him; more effective low post defender than given credit for)
Jordan Clarkson: B- (too inconsistent, questionable BBall IQ, Great when he's Good, a liability when he's Bad. Needs to share the ball better)
Lou Williams: B+ (A joy to watch, but not responding well to fewer minutes)
Larry Nance, Jr.: A (most fundamentally sound player on the team; his defense and high hoops IQ are incredible and just getting better; I left his grade alone despite his injury)
Brandon Ingram: C+ (his entire game is rounding out, but not until VERY recently; had a poor second quarter)
Tarik Black: B (I love him; leaves it all out on the floor. A fantastic compliment to Nance, Jr.; I left his grade alone despite his injury )
Thomas Robinson: A (Has taken complete advantage of his minutes)
Jose Calderon: I (see 3Peat)
Marcelo Huertas: I (see 3Peat)
Metta World Peace: A, but F (Why not? :D )
Ivica Zubac: I (see 3Peat)

Great stuff! Not having Nance has really hurt, like you have Posted he is like a glue guy. Overall halfway through I would say the season is a C. We are showing progression and pretty good improvement but still far from a Playoff team.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:49 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Overall halfway through I would say the season is a C. We are showing progression and pretty good improvement but still far from a Playoff team.

According to my grading system, I see the season as a B. According to my grading system, B is "meeting expectations." Considering the injuries, I believe that we have ever so slightly exceeded expectations, but not enough to warrant a B+ both in coming together as a team and the number of wins.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:59 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Overall halfway through I would say the season is a C. We are showing progression and pretty good improvement but still far from a Playoff team.

According to my grading system, I see the season as a B. According to my grading system, B is "meeting expectations." Considering the injuries, I believe that we have ever so slightly exceeded expectations, but not enough to warrant a B+ both in coming together as a team and the number of wins.

I respect that:
Yeah I went C because last year was an F. So 2 letter grades higher is huge improvement IMO. I predicted us to win 30 games and figured that would be the realistic mark, now if we win more than 30, lets say like 33 or 34 then yes that would no doubt be B material. Having said that we are showing nice improvement and a C is a lot better than an F :roflmao:. I would take making straight C's at a big time college like Stanford, if it get me a prestigious degree "lol4: At IUPUI I have made basically straight A's and a few B's.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:47 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:I respect that:
Yeah I went C because last year was an F. So 2 letter grades higher is huge improvement IMO. I predicted us to win 30 games and figured that would be the realistic mark, now if we win more than 30, lets say like 33 or 34 then yes that would no doubt be B material. Having said that we are showing nice improvement and a C is a lot better than an F :roflmao:. I would take making straight C's at a big time college like Stanford, if it get me a prestigious degree "lol4: At IUPUI I have made basically straight A's and a few B's.

I suppose a part of my grading system comes from my personal feelings about grades. I ALWAYS felt that an A was a Great grade, a B was a Good grade and and a C was a Bad grade. D's an F's were simply unacceptable, so that's the "curve" that I base my grades on. Growing up, many kids were not good at academics, so they (and even the schools) would refer to a C as an "average" grade. Call me a snob, but to ma a C was not average; it was Bad.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:10 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:I respect that:

I suppose a part of my grading system comes from my personal feelings about grades. I ALWAYS felt that an A was a Great grade, a B was a Good grade and and a C was a Bad grade. D's an F's were simply unacceptable, so that's the "curve" that I base my grades on. Growing up, many kids were not good at academics, so they (and even the schools) would refer to a C as an "average" grade. Call me a snob, but to ma a C was not average; it was Bad.

I see a C as Average and not the end of the world, having said that if I ever got one at the college I am at I would be upset. I have always strived A's and the B's at worse. I have never had a C in college but IUPUI isn't Stanford or Harvard either. We do have a Division 1 Basketball team and George Hill gradated from there though.
3Peatkb24

Re: Mid-season grades (1st quarter thread combined)

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:01 am

Good stuff guys - what remains to be seen is if we linger in mediocrity, or if Luke, Mitch and the rest of our decision-makers have a clear plan to drastically improve on the reboot. Fingers crossed!!
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Maybe I should have given D'Angelo an A despite his injuries:

KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:24 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:Maybe I should have given D'Angelo an A despite his injuries:

Russell is definitely a B at worse. I would've given him an A had not been for him missing some games and if the team was better. Stats are a great measure of a player but if it doesn't translate into wins than they can also be misleading. Last season Okafor averaged 17 Points a game and shot over 50% from the field but nobody cared because he missed the last 29 games of the season and the Sixers stunk. His Stats for a Rookie were Very Good though.
3Peatkb24

Previous

Return to LakerTalk