Gm 14 - 11/20/16: Bulls at Lakers GAME THREAD

Gm 14 - 11/20/16: Bulls at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:41 pm

(8-5)Image at Image(7-6)

Sunday, November 20, 2016, 6:30 PM PDT
Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA

Referees: Scott Foster (#48), Kane Fitzgerald (#5), Phenizee Ransom (#70)

Line: Lakers -2

GAME PREVIEW: BULLS AT LAKERS

BY NBA.COM

Fighting back from a double-digit deficit to make a final score respectable against an elite Western Conference team might have been seen as a moral victory for the Los Angeles Lakers in recent seasons.

Especially when their loss totals were 61 and 65.

This year, the young Lakers are not accepting losing a close game or making a score more respectable.

Los Angeles is in the beginning stages of a difficult stretch of its schedule that might give a clearer idea about how it stacks up and it continues Sunday night when it hosts the Chicago Bulls.

Los Angeles has won seven of its first 13 games with notable wins over the Houston Rockets, Golden State Warriors and Atlanta Hawks. The Lakers had a chance at another noteworthy win Friday but ultimately could not stop the San Antonio Spurs from making enough big shots in a 116-107 loss.

Los Angeles was tied with the Spurs early in the third quarter and fell behind by as many as 15 before making the final margin closer.

"Last year, we would have been out of this game if we were down by that much," Lakers guard Jordan Clarkson said. "We're out here to compete every night now. We're not OK with any loss."

Friday was the first of a hellacious week for the Lakers. After facing Chicago, Los Angeles hosts the Oklahoma City Thunder, plays a home-and-home with Golden State and hosts Atlanta before playing 12 of its next 15 games on the road.

Regardless of their feelings, the Lakers may play Sunday without second-year guard D'Angelo Russell. Russell missed Friday's game with a sore left knee and coach Luke Walton does not expect it to be a long-term problem.

"It makes it really hard," Lakers forward Julius Randle said. "(Russell) gets us in our stuff, obviously can really score the ball. He's a great leader for us."

Russell did not practice Saturday and received treatment on the knee. He will be re-evaluated Sunday and is listed as questionable.

"His knee has been bothering him (but) he's been playing through it," Walton said. "It started hurting more, so they decided last night when he got to the arena to shut him down."

Russell leads the Lakers with 16.8 points per game, slightly ahead of veteran Lou Williams. Williams scored 24 Friday and has helped the Los Angeles reserves lead the league in scoring at 51 points.

Chicago had its four-game winning streak stopped by imploding in the fourth quarter of a 102-95 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers Saturday night. The Bulls led by 19 in the second quarter but allowed 30 points in the fourth and made one basket in the final 6 1/2 minutes.

Dwyane Wade scored 28 points but shot 9-of-20, including 1-of-5 in the fourth quarter. Jimmy Butler added 22 but was even more inefficient by shooting 5-of-18.

"It was a good night for us, we just didn't come out with the win," Wade said. "It's the NBA, leads are whatever. I'd rather have a 19-point lead in the second half. I'm not all about the 20-point leads in the first half, especially on the road. A team is going to come back and the game is going to turn in their favor.

Saturday was even more frustrating for Chicago as coach Fred Hoiberg was ejected in the waning seconds after Taj Gibson got called for a technical foul. That came shortly after Butler was called for a questionable foul on Blake Griffin as the shot clock was winding down, resulting in a four-point deficit from the foul shots.

Chicago also lost for the first time when taking a lead into the fourth quarter and the collapse cost the Bulls their first 3-0 start to their annual "circus trip" since 1995.

Chicago has swept the season series with the Lakers in two of the last three seasons. Last season, Butler scored 26 in the Bulls' 114-91 win at Los Angeles on Jan. 28.

http://www.nba.com/games/20161120/CHILAL#/preview
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Gm 14 - 11/20/16: Bulls at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:37 pm

If, after these next 20 games, we are ANYWHERE NEAR .500 . . . it will be a good sign. Several games vs. tough/elite/playoff teams and a bunch of road games will put Luke and the Boys through the grinder, but I think I speak for all GHF Laker fans when I say this team - the historic franchise, the Buss Family, etc - have successfully turned a corner from the negativity that plagued these last few seasons. The world-changing effects of the "basketball reasons" behind the Lockout and CBA were overtly, covertly and deliberately designed to screw us and put perennial losers like the Warriors and Clippers at or near the top of the NBA, and the panorama of the Association has changed forever from the 80s/Jordan/Iverson - era.

But the Lakers can't be silenced for too long.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:50 pm

One of the most poorly-written previews I've ever read . . . but with no Wade and a questionable Rondo we should win this with no excuses.

"Nick Young is another player that has been valuable to the Lakers. Young can fire away from three-point land and get red hot. Also, Young rarely misses from the three point line and has played good defense this year. Young will need to stay in front of Dwayne Wade tonight and make him work hard on both ends of the floor.

With Dwyane Wade resting tonight and Rondo listed as questions, the Bulls will have to turn to their young guys to produce for them. Denzel Valentine was drafted 14th overall in the 2016 NBA Draft. Valentine has been struggling so far this season averaging 1.4 points 1.0 rebound and 0.4 assists. Valentine was an important member of the Michigan State Spartans team that was consistently ranked in the top 10 of the country. If the Bulls turn to Valentine they will hope he can make plays for others and make open shots.

The next player is Jerian Grant, nephew of Horace Grant. Grant played last year for the New York Knicks and went to college at Norte Dame. Grant is a big point guard, who can score and get others involved. Grant isn’t the flashiest player on the court, but he gets the job done. He is averaging 5.4 points and 1.5 assists so far this season.

Isaiah Canaan can fill some time at the guard spots. Last year, he played for the Philadelphia 76ers and was able to show he is a rotation player in this league. Canaan is able to shoot well from beyond the arc. Canaan versus Lou Williams would be a shootout that every fan at Staples Center would enjoy."

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-vs-b ... 016/11/20/
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:01 pm

lakerevolution wrote:If, after these next 20 games, we are ANYWHERE NEAR .500 . . . it will be a good sign. Several games vs. tough/elite/playoff teams and a bunch of road games will put Luke and the Boys through the grinder, but I think I speak for all GHF Laker fans when I say this team - the historic franchise, the Buss Family, etc - have successfully turned a corner from the negativity that plagued these last few seasons. The world-changing effects of the "basketball reasons" behind the Lockout and CBA were overtly, covertly and deliberately designed to screw us and put perennial losers like the Warriors and Clippers at or near the top of the NBA, and the panorama of the Association has changed forever from the 80s/Jordan/Iverson - era.

But the Lakers can't be silenced for too long.

That's some beautiful prose right there, Rev! Yessirree Bob! Everyone wanted Phil here, and while he might have shown the Patience of Job as a head coach, look at what the consummate visionary Mitch Kupchak has accomplished in terms of pointing our ship in the right direction during similar cap strapped circumstances. Frankly, I would rather be us than them right now, albeit I am sure that there are certain fans who would argue that Phil has attracted better free agents (e.g., Robin Lopez, Brandon Jennings, Joakim Noah, re-signed Melo) and drafted Porzingus (who many would take over Russell) and traded for Derrick Rose. BUT .. we got Luke and a young, exciting core and what appears to be a culture, identity and direction that I don't see yet with the Knicks. Even with respect to The Hated Ones, I though they were so further ahead of the curve than us, but now I am not so sure.

I know one thing ...

I LOVE BASKETBALL!!!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Great game of runs so far tonight. 75-67 Lakers right now. Defense is definitely a work in progress, but we will get there. Luol is showing some signs of life! Great games by Nane and Lou so far though.
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:08 pm

Too many poor passes. The game still needs to slow down for these guys. It will. Eventually the flow will look masterful, but for now we have tom enjoy it in spurts. Tie game.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:18 pm

Autopsy reveals being out-rebounded and out-gunned from the field (they have a seasoned star) is our achilles. The losses are simply a mirror reflecting what and who we need. Moz and Deng plus Nick and maybe Clark for the bangers and flashy slashers we need to get to 50 wins.

Clark might still blossom into an all-star, though.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:25 pm

If Wade played (how hyped can you get without Kobe on the floor, I get it), we would likely have lost . . but Butler and Wiggins going 40+ on us is a GLARING sign. And Rondo hitting a game-sealing jumper? Ughhh. Oh well. 7-7 thru 14 is better than we all expected, but WOW we have 18 GAMES IN THE NEXT 30 DAYS.

Prayers going up. GO LAKERS.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:52 am

lakerevolution wrote:If Wade played (how hyped can you get without Kobe on the floor, I get it), we would likely have lost . . but Butler and Wiggins going 40+ on us is a GLARING sign. And Rondo hitting a game-sealing jumper? Ughhh. Oh well. 7-7 thru 14 is better than we all expected, but WOW we have 18 GAMES IN THE NEXT 30 DAYS.

Prayers going up. GO LAKERS.

It's funny how stars feast in this league, isn't it? Butler and Wiggins are not top 5 players, but they have elite talent. We could use one of those types on this team, but the likelihood of getting one in a trade or FA is pretty slim.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:47 am

I didn't Post last night because I had to go into work and didn't have internet. I seen we lost and Butler put up 40 Points. Ken is right when he says it's a make and miss league. Clarkson went 1-12, Russell 3-11 = cant win doing that. Wade didn't play so it's a game we should've won IMO but I know we are a work in progress and young.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk