The Pre-Season Thread

The Pre-Season Thread

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:47 am

With the start of pre-season just a week away, let's begin the chatter about what we can and cannot expect from our new-and-unproved squad.

The Lakers have the longest odds in the NBA to win their division: 500-to-1. The over/under on wins is 24.5, which would be a 7 to 8 game improvement from last year's 17 wins.

Coach Walton's goal, I would assume, is to find who his real team is. He knows what to expect out of players like Russell, Clarkson, Black, Nance, Mozgov and Deng, but beyond that he'll have to construct a winning roster that can at the least match up with average NBA teams on any given night. Expectations, in Luke's first year as head coach and the first season without Kobe in 20 years, should be minimal. We're in a role-reversal position we're not accustomed to -- looking up at the Clippers and Warriors while trying not to remain the basement-dwellers, knowing that it's going to take a lot of hard work and some good fortune to get back to the playoffs.
lakerevolution

Re: The Pre-Season Thread

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:53 am

Fish to be an analyst!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:04 pm

lakerevolution wrote:With the start of pre-season just a week away, let's begin the chatter about what we can and cannot expect from our new-and-unproved squad.

The Lakers have the longest odds in the NBA to win their division: 500-to-1. The over/under on wins is 24.5, which would be a 7 to 8 game improvement from last year's 17 wins.

Coach Walton's goal, I would assume, is to find who his real team is. He knows what to expect out of players like Russell, Clarkson, Black, Nance, Mozgov and Deng, but beyond that he'll have to construct a winning roster that can at the least match up with average NBA teams on any given night. Expectations, in Luke's first year as head coach and the first season without Kobe in 20 years, should be minimal. We're in a role-reversal position we're not accustomed to -- looking up at the Clippers and Warriors while trying not to remain the basement-dwellers, knowing that it's going to take a lot of hard work and some good fortune to get back to the playoffs.

Upgrades:

Center position: Mozgov SHOULD be an upgrade over Hibbert and Black SHOULD be utilized better. I don't expect much burn from the 19 year old kid and Yi is an interesting stretch 5 wildcard. Regardless, it's a deeper group than Hibbert-Black-Sacre.

Small forward: Kobe really wasn't a small forward and he simply wasn't efficient anymore last season. Who backed him up? Metta? Brown? Nick Young? Nance at times? Talk about terrible. Luol Deng is a 2 way former all-star who still has some burn. Brandon Ingram has potential through the roof. We'll see if Anthony Brown learned anything and can shake the willies, but this position has improved.

Power forward: Randle and Nance will both be better players and Deng is a proven back up small ball 4 and Yi is in the mix. I think this will be a solid position.

Point guard: Shouldn't Russell and Huertas be better with a year of NBA experience under their belts? Isn't Calderon an excellent third alternative?

Shooting guard: Clarkson should be a year better, even if he reaches his ceiling. Lou Williams will be back at his familiar sixth man role, also an improvement.

Head coach: I think it's fair to say that Luke's an upgrade, but we'll see.

Overall, I am genuinely excited to watch the climb because rung #1 of this ladder is here!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:08 pm

October is almost here. You know what time that is!
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:10 pm

Influences: his genius father, Lute Olson, Phil Jackson, Steve Kerr.

Which voice rings the loudest with his PHIL-osophy? I dunno, you might want to ask Steve Kerr. #ElevenRings
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:42 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1765 ... art-season

The Lakers' plan to initially utilize Ingram as a reserve is part of a bigger-picture strategy to help ease the 19-year-old and former Duke standout into the grind of the NBA's 82-game regular-season schedule, especially as Ingram works to strengthen his thin 6-foot-9, 190-pound frame.

"I think it's going to be a long season on a young player that has to be stronger, has to get stronger, has to show that he can play for 82 games," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said Tuesday as the team opened training camp at the University of California at Santa Barbara.

I'm not even 5'11", and I've weighed between 190 and 200+ lbs. for the last 15 years. I can't understand how these 6'9" guys can only weigh 190 lbs.???
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:21 pm

lakerevolution wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17654322/lakers-plan-bring-rookie-brandon-ingram-bench-start-season

The Lakers' plan to initially utilize Ingram as a reserve is part of a bigger-picture strategy to help ease the 19-year-old and former Duke standout into the grind of the NBA's 82-game regular-season schedule, especially as Ingram works to strengthen his thin 6-foot-9, 190-pound frame.

"I think it's going to be a long season on a young player that has to be stronger, has to get stronger, has to show that he can play for 82 games," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said Tuesday as the team opened training camp at the University of California at Santa Barbara.

I'm not even 5'11", and I've weighed between 190 and 200+ lbs. for the last 15 years. I can't understand how these 6'9" guys can only weigh 190 lbs.???

Metabolism, constantly burning calories and not consuming mass quantities of alcohol.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:56 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17654322/lakers-plan-bring-rookie-brandon-ingram-bench-start-season

Metabolism, constantly burning calories and not consuming mass quantities of alcohol.

Throughout my late teens and into my 20's I was always around 155 pounds as I was a runner and exercised and that is about right for someone who is 5'8. In my early 30's I quit running and partied a lot and gained 50 pounds as a result putting me at around 205. When I hit 34 I started running again everyday and only drink once a week, I had one cheat day basically for years. I did this up until I hit 40 and even got down 149 pounds at 1 point and it got to the point I could drink and eat whatever I wanted for a while and couldn't gain no weight. Like drink 2 or 3 days a week and eat stuff like BigMac's, etc.. Metabolism is a funny thing! I haven't really exercised or ran much over the last 4 years and I am back at 205 again LOL. I carry my weight well but I do have belly on me :roflmao: Ingram needs to eat all day in between work outs IMO, stuff with massive protein in it like Steak, Chicken, and Fish. Throw a starch in there like Potatoes and eat lots of them, that will put on the weight! Potatoes have a lot of potassium in them too so they are somewhat good for you eventhough fattening but he needs that. Hell drink some milkshakes as well if all else fails for a desert.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:18 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Metabolism is a funny thing! I haven't really exercised or ran much over the last 4 years and I am back at 205 again LOL. I carry my weight well but I do have belly on me :roflmao:

I think you're beautiful, 3Peat! Another Alicia Machado! "lol4:
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Sounds like the makings of a dynamic second unit to me! A little more D with some Larry Nance and a little more offense with some Lou Williams .. that's a unit that can score some points in transition!!!
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:50 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Metabolism is a funny thing! I haven't really exercised or ran much over the last 4 years and I am back at 205 again LOL. I carry my weight well but I do have belly on me :roflmao:

I think you're beautiful, 3Peat! Another Alicia Machado! "lol4:

I am not quite that beautiful but thanks for the compliment (sarcasm) She did pout when lpmua6 spoke of her weight :roflmao: Anyway on a serious note like Rev stated Ingram needs to pack on the weight but not sure it will be that easy. Players like Reggie Miller and so far Kevin Durant haven't really been able too no matter what they do. Michael Cooper was another one that never could. Rev and I weigh as much Ingram and neither of us are even 6'0 tall. Still doesn't mean he wont be a great player because I think he will be like Reggie was and possibly like Durant is, he has that much potential but if he can add weight that would make him a lot stronger and help with his durability IMO which means even better in the long run.
3Peatkb24

Postby Julius Russell » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:33 pm

I think you'll see flashes of beautiful ball and some rookie mistakes as well.

I agree with the analysis above. I'm think Ingram takes a couple months.

I also think our bigs might just not be quite good enough yet. In comparison to some of the more experienced guys.

23,4,5 is still young... We're3,4,5 away from that. Lol
Julius Russell

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:29 am

Julius Russell wrote:I think you'll see flashes of beautiful ball and some rookie mistakes as well.

I also think our bigs might just not be quite good enough yet. In comparison to some of the more experienced guys.

Oh I truly don't expect that much this season as in wins. I say 30 is possible, perhaps 32 is our ceiling if Russell is better than expected and Ingram has a dynamite Rookie Season but it wouldn't shock me if we only won 27 or so like in 2014 which still is a 10 game improvement if that happens. I am just looking forward to the season to see players like Russell, Ingram, Randle, Clarkson, and Nance grow. Our Roster is better than last seasons and hiring Luke as Coach as most people interested in the team again. This season will be way more exciting than last which is another reason just to watch. I do expect the team to challenge for a Playoff spot in 2017-2018 which is next season. I think by then Russell will be much more matured, stronger, more experienced in a running a team, and just better. I also think Ingram will be get Very Good quickly as in season 2. If both happen look for the Lakers in 2018 possibly to be .500 especially with a guy like Luke Coaching. I don't see Luke having more than 1 struggling season, JMO - that is based on the job he did in Golden St and already how the players are taking a liking to him. It also helps his Basketball IQ is really high as well. A lot of what happens in 2018 is who we pick up in Free Agency too. What if we pick up someone really good? Then .500 is very possible!

-Lakers first Pre-Season game is Tuesday (October 4th) vs Sacramento. The game is played in Anaheim.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:08 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:
Julius Russell wrote:I think you'll see flashes of beautiful ball and some rookie mistakes as well.

Oh I truly don't expect that much this season as in wins. I say 30 is possible, perhaps 32 is our ceiling if Russell is better than expected and Ingram has a dynamite Rookie Season but it wouldn't shock me if we only won 27 or so like in 2014 which still is a 10 game improvement if that happens. I am just looking forward to the season to see players like Russell, Ingram, Randle, Clarkson, and Nance grow. Our Roster is better than last seasons and hiring Luke as Coach as most people interested in the team again. This season will be way more exciting than last which is another reason just to watch. I do expect the team to challenge for a Playoff spot in 2017-2018 which is next season. I think by then Russell will be much more matured, stronger, more experienced in a running a team, and just better. I also think Ingram will be get Very Good quickly as in season 2. If both happen look for the Lakers in 2018 possibly to be .500 especially with a guy like Luke Coaching. I don't see Luke having more than 1 struggling season, JMO - that is based on the job he did in Golden St and already how the players are taking a liking to him. It also helps his Basketball IQ is really high as well. A lot of what happens in 2018 is who we pick up in Free Agency too. What if we pick up someone really good? Then .500 is very possible!

-Lakers first Pre-Season game is Tuesday (October 4th) vs Sacramento. The game is played in Anaheim.

I am actually speaking sensible for a change heading into a season with my predictions and our future. Everything I posted above may come true? I know we aren't close to a .500 team this upcoming season but I say we win 30 games which is realistic, probably still a wee bit high but it's doable with our Roster and Coach IMO. 25-27 wins seems to be the popular pick by many. In 2018 look out if all of our young guys pan out this season into next.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:38 am

Can you dig it!!!
KobeMVP888

Next

Return to LakerTalk