Other NBA discussion

Re: Other NBA discussion

Postby Julius Russell » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:23 pm

Ryan Kelly got a job , ok
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:19 pm

Julius Russell wrote:Ryan Kelly got a job , ok

Just in time to play the Lakers Wednesday night in Robert Town!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:54 am

That system gives him a better chance than what we had the last couple years.
Julius Russell

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:14 pm

Cant wait for the Thunder at Warriors game. I am very impressed with the Thunder sitting at 4-0 led by Russell Westbrook. That game should be entertaining as hell! Thunder just won in LA last night taking down the Clippers.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:57 pm

Warriors up 68-43 at Half! What an ass whipping.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:30 am

I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:52 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:

I think the Spurs are done regarding winning Championships. They will still win around 60 games (Leonard is a Great player) but in the end wont be able to beat the Warriors or Cavs. Pau's best days are behind him, he is now only averaging 9.7 Points and 6.5 Rebounds. I love the fact LaMarcus Aldridge tried to Ring chase and it's back firing on him after the way he dissed the Lakers. He should've never left the Blazers, Damian Lillard is a beast and he's young! Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are farting dust.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:05 pm

Cavs have lost 3 in a row and are now 13-5. Wade and the Bulls beat them tonight. To them the Regular Season is a Practice Season like it used to be for us when we had Shaq/Kobe - Pau/Kobe but if they think they are going to beat the Warriors again without HCA they are in for a rude awakening, no way that is happening 2 years in a row. I know the Warriors lost last night but they had won 12 straight. I honestly don't see anyone beating the Warriors in the Playoffs as long as Curry, Durant, Thompson, and Green stay healthy. If that team loses, something goofy is really going on. Kerr is a Great Coach as well. I think the Cavs got their 1 Championship and LeBron did it for Cleveland but I don't see them beating the Warriors 2 years in a row. The NBA Analysts on ESPN were talking before the Cavs/Bulls game tonight regarding where does LeBron belong on the list of greatest players and Jalen Rose brought up a fantastic point. He was saying he isn't sure how LeBron has jumped ahead of players like Magic and Kobe on a lot of peoples list and is just being compared to Jordan? Frankly I don't either. What has LeBron ever done to be considered being better than Magic or Kobe? Magic went to 9 Finals in 12 seasons and won MVP Finals in his Rookie season with Kareem injured and won 5 Championships! Kobe also has won 5 Championships and is the 3rd all-time leading scorer. All 3 analysts being Jalen/T-Mac/Billups were saying as of now he belongs between 5-8 all-time which is about right IMO. All 3 of those guys played the game and were Very Good players and played against guys like LeBron, Kobe, Duncan, Shaq so they would know a lot without being biased. Players that have to be rated higher than LeBron automatically IMO are Jordan, Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Duncan, and Shaq just based on dominance of play and those players resumes. All of those players were more dominant and have more Championships. That is 6 players I just named. Duncan's teams have even beaten LeBron's teams twice in the Finals to only 1 loss. I still think LeBron and Bird are pretty equal, LeBron to me is on Bird's level and both have 3 Championships. They are equal because Bird was a better Shooter and Rebounder + he had to deal with Magic's Lakers a lot otherwise Bird would have 4 or 5 Championships. Guys like Mr. Tate even know that.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:00 am

Tonight my son asked me about where LeBron ranks in all-time discussions, and I gave him the in-depth perspective of an NBA junkie. LeBron is greater than MJ and Kobe in some aspects (statistically/athletically) but of course that KILLER mentality that the people love will always rest in the statues and video clips of Air Jordan and Mamba. We're in the post-Kobe post-Tim post-Stern Era now, and we're even in the POST CLEVELAND era now as far as sports go. New day new age.

You know me - no stats before the merger. Spirit of 76.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:18 am

lakerevolution wrote:Tonight my son asked me about where LeBron ranks in all-time discussions, and I gave him the in-depth perspective of an NBA junkie. LeBron is greater than MJ and Kobe in some aspects (statistically/athletically) but of course that KILLER mentality that the people love will always rest in the statues and video clips of Air Jordan and Mamba. We're in the post-Kobe post-Tim post-Stern Era now, and we're even in the POST CLEVELAND era now as far as sports go. New day new age.

You know me - no stats before the merger. Spirit of 76.

It's all opinion and yeah I am just going by the players I have seen live from 1977 and on. I still think he ranks behind Jordan, Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq, and Duncan and pretty even with Bird so he is in the Top 8 anyway regardless out of who I have seen. Hakeem should be mentioned though as well with those guys. Some could even throw in guys like Moses Malone, Karl Malone, and Doc J in that discussion and I wouldn't blame them. I am talking 1977 Season and on because that is what I have seen live.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:26 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:I still think he ranks behind Jordan, Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq, and Duncan and pretty even with Bird so he is in the Top 8 anyway regardless out of who I have seen. Hakeem should be mentioned though as well with those guys. Some could even throw in guys like Moses Malone, Karl Malone, and Doc J in that discussion and I wouldn't blame them. I am talking 1977 Season and on because that is what I have seen live.

"The 1970s are not the most fondly remembered decade of pro basketball. They were no strong national rivalries, no dynasties, no epic G.O.A.T. debates. There was actually a good deal of legal wrangling over the reserve clause, the ABA merger, draft eligibility and What Team Rick Barry Would Be Playing For. It's famously noted that in this era the NBA Finals were on tape delay." - SB Nation

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/8/27/9 ... ius-erving

There are a lot of quality guys who got very little exposure or credit in the 70s - that murky, hazy period after the Celtics dynasty of the 60s ended and before the advent of Magic, Bird and Stern. Here's a list of notables:

Chet Walker - While Chet Walker was better than some of the players ranked above him, he played only six seasons during the 1970s. All six seasons were for the Chicago Bulls. Chet the Jet retired following the 1975 season, at the age of 34. As a 6'6" guard/forward, Walker scored over 19 points per game and five rebounds per game every season of the '70s. In the best season of his career, the 1972 season, Walker recorded 22 points and 6.1 rebounds, while shooting 51 percent from the field. In recognition of his skill, Chet Walker was a four-time All-Star during the decade.

Bob Dandridge - Like Chet Walker, Bob Dandridge was a 6'6" guard/forward. However, Dandridge was an important part of two championship teams during the decade. During his sophomore year in 1971, Bob Dandridge earned his first ring with the Milwaukee Bucks. He was part of a Big Four that also included Jon McGlocklin, Oscar Robertson and, most importantly, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Dandridge scored 18.4 points per game and grabbed eight rebounds per game during the season. After signing with the Washington Bullets as a free agent in 1977, Dandridge helped deliver an NBA Championship in his first season. This time, he was part of a well-balanced team that featured three players on this list. During the 1970s, Dandridge was selected to four All-Star Games, a First-Team All-Rookie team and a First-Team All-Defensive team.

Dave Cowens - Big Red was a 6'9" big man for the Boston Celtics through all of the 1970s. This meant two championship rings for Cowens. These came in 1974 and 1976, with Cowens as arguably the best player on both teams. The 1970s was a time where Cowens accumulated an impressive number of accolades. He was a seven-time All-Star, Rookie of the Year, NBA MVP and a First-Team All-Defensive selection.

Wes Unseld - Unseld was a career Bullet, winning the NBA Championship with the Washington version of the Bullets in 1978. He was awarded the Finals MVP for his performance. The 6'7" big man was not much of a scorer, never averaging more than 16 points per game in his career. However, he was one of the best rebounders to ever play the game. Unseld finished in the top five for rebounds per game six times during the decade, leading the league once. Unseld was a four-time All Star during the 1970s.

John Havlicek - Hondo was a 6'5" guard/forward for the Boston Celtics during most of the 1960s and 1970s, helping them to win eight NBA Championships during his career. Two of those championships came during the 1970s. Havlicek and Dave Cowens were the two best players on both winning teams. However, Havlicek won the Finals MVP for the first of the two, in 1974. During the 1970s, Havlicek was one of the most dangerous scorers in the game. He averaged between 23 and 29 points per game for the first half of the decade. During that same time, he finished in the top 10 in assists per game each season. Havlicek made the All-Star Game in all nine seasons he played during the '70s. As well, he was selected to the All-NBA First Team four times and the All-Defensive First Team five times.

Elvin Hayes - Hayes played most of the 1970s with the Bullets, winning the 1978 championship with teammates Bob Dandridge and Wes Unseld. While all three were great players, Hayes was the best player on that squad during both the regular season and the playoffs. Hayes, at 6'9", led the league in rebounding twice during the decade. He also averaged two blocks per game over the course of his career, ranking in the top 25 of all time. In all ten seasons of the decade, Hayes was named to the All-Star Game. He was also awarded with three All-NBA First Team selections.

Bob McAdoo - McAdoo did not start his career in the NBA until the 1973 season, but his play deserves the number four spot on this list. Within his first four seasons, McAdoo led the league in scoring three times, scoring over 30 points per game in each of those years. While his career quickly declined in the 1980s, McAdoo was good enough to win the Rookie of the Year and the 1975 NBA MVP in the prior decade. On top of this, he was a five-time All-Star and an All-NBA First Team selection during the 1970s. In addition to his three scoring titles, McAdoo ranked in the top 10 in rebounds per game five times during the decade.

Walt Frazier - Frazier, the best pure guard of the decade, was one of the best all-around players in NBA history. He was amongst the best at passing, stealing and shooting. That is the recipe for a valuable guard. During the 1970s, Frazier was a seven-time All Star, six-time All-Defensive First Team member, and four-time All-NBA First Team member. With Frazier as their leader, the New York Knicks won the 1970 and 1973 NBA Championships.

Bob Lanier - Lanier used his 6'11" body to grab 10 rebounds per game and block 1100 shots in his career. In addition to rebounding and shot blocking, Lanier averaged 20 points per game in his career. While Lanier averaged 19 points and 10 rebounds per game in the playoffs during his career, he was never quite able to win a ring. Bob Lanier was selected to seven All-Star games during the decade, winning the MVP in the 1974 game. In the game, he shot 11 of 15 from the field, scoring 24 points and snagging 10 rebounds.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:44 am

The 70's were my favorite decade of basketball, but that's because I was young, played all the time and loved the college game back then, too. Pistol Pete, Magic and those Knicks kind of says it all for me. As mind blowing as the 80's were and then the 00's, the 70's hold a very special place in my heart.
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:55 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:The 70's were my favorite decade of basketball, but that's because I was young, played all the time and loved the college game back then, too. Pistol Pete, Magic and those Knicks kind of says it all for me. As mind blowing as the 80's were and then the 00's, the 70's hold a very special place in my heart.

Only those who lived through and/or have watched film on the 70s (and 60s) eras of Naismith's invention can appreciate how it has influenced - and will always influence - the game. Yes, there were many issues and changes in PHILosophy :D . . . but what we have enjoyed in the Magic/Jordan/Kobe/LeBron age would not have been possible without those who literally pushed the ball up the court. :beavis:
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:14 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:The 70's were my favorite decade of basketball, but that's because I was young, played all the time and loved the college game back then, too. Pistol Pete, Magic and those Knicks kind of says it all for me. As mind blowing as the 80's were and then the 00's, the 70's hold a very special place in my heart.

Yeah I was so damn young in the 70's that I basically only understood the game at the tail of end of that decade. 1st Finals I ever watched was Sixers/Blazers and I remember Blazers taking out the Lakers with Kareem there. 1979 NCAA Finals I remember like it was yesterday because I was probably the only person in Indiana that rooted for Michigan St, most adults probably wanted to kill me :roflmao: I just loved the way Magic played from the few games I was able to see him. Man when he joined Kareem in 1980 I cant describe what I was feeling because I was already a Laker fan because of Kareem. The Basketball Gods did me a major solid as a young kid!
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:00 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:

Yeah I was so damn young in the 70's that I basically only understood the game at the tail of end of that decade. 1st Finals I ever watched was Sixers/Blazers and I remember Blazers taking out the Lakers with Kareem there. 1979 NCAA Finals I remember like it was yesterday because I was probably the only person in Indiana that rooted for Michigan St, most adults probably wanted to kill me :roflmao: I just loved the way Magic played from the few games I was able to see him. Man when he joined Kareem in 1980 I cant describe what I was feeling because I was already a Laker fan because of Kareem. The Basketball Gods did me a major solid as a young kid!

The other huge part of it was the new, really exciting ABA, whose brand of basketball was the obvious influence on today's game. If you haven't read "Loose Balls, the Short, Wild Life of the American Basketball Association" by Terry Pluto or "The Breaks of the Game" by David Halberstam, they are musts. I know I have talked about those books ad nauseum, but they are worth repeating if you haven't read them. IMO they are the best books ever written on professional basketball.
KobeMVP888

PreviousNext

Return to LakerTalk