Mount Rushmore in your State

Mount Rushmore in your State

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:05 am

This morning with Dwyane Wade leaving the Heat, Florida people voted and say their Mount Rushmore is:
Dwyane Wade, Don Shula, Dan Marino, and Pat Riley.

-As a Indiana resident I had to think long and hard on what mine would be for Indiana and I went with:
Peyton Manning, Reggie Miller, Bob Knight, and Mel Daniels! Peyton Manning won a SB playing for the Indianapolis Colts in the 2006 Season and the SB MVP + 4 NFL League MVP's in 2003, 2004, 2008, and 2009. Reggie Miller scored 25,279 Points which ranks him 22nd all-time on the ABA/NBA list combined, was a 5-time All-Star, and has a Finals appearance leading the Indiana Pacers to their only NBA Conference Championship in 2000. Bob Knight Coached the Indiana Hoosiers to 3 National Championships = 1976, 1981, and 1987. His Hoosiers are the last team to go undefeated in a Division 1 College Season which was 1976 (32-0). Mel Daniels Led the Indiana Pacers to 3 ABA Championships = 1970, 1972, and 1973. He also won the ABA League MVP in 1969 and 1971. He averaged 18.4 Points and 14.9 Rebounds in his career. OK California guys what is your Mount Rushmore? I will be curious to see your answers because you have a lot to choose from. I would think Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant would be on it but after that it gets tough. You guys even have Baseball to factor in.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Re: Mount Rushmore in your State

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:54 am

You can only list 4 players, no more than 4 like I did with Indiana sports. It's tough and that is what makes it fun because you will feel like you are leaving off a few guys that may deserve to be on it as well. I considered Paul George myself but to me Mel Daniels has accomplished much more at this point, the ABA gets way overlooked and it shouldn't. The teams that won the Championships in the ABA could compete with most of the NBA Champions of the past. I also considered Marvin Harrison who IMO is the 3rd greatest WR of all-time only behind Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin going by my eye test but the 4 I chose I think deserve it. Larry Bird belongs on the Massachusetts Mount Rushmore as he won 3 Championships and 3 League MVP's with the Celtics. He did play his college ball for Indiana St and led them to a Final appearance and he was a pretty good HeadCoach for the Pacers and has been a good GM for them as well but it wasn't enough for me to list him as an Indiana Mount Rushmore guy. He didn't play for the Pacers, he is more of a legend in Boston. Please just list 4 players and not like 10 LOL
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:33 pm

Pat Riley . . for Florida? Shows how much they've won over the years. Dan Marino? Just sad.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:05 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Pat Riley . . for Florida? Shows how much they've won over the years. Dan Marino? Just sad.

Yeah this morning on ESPN that Jorge Sedano dude said that is what Florida voted. Pat Riley did Coach them to a Championship in 2006 and has built some Great teams by getting LeBron there so I can see why they would put him in there. Dan Marino never won a Title but is arguably the greatest pure passer ever. Wade and Shula were no brainers when I seen their list. They cant list LeBron he is Ohio's.
3Peatkb24

Postby Lakers4Life » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:14 pm

John Wooden
Kobe Bryant
Jackie Robinson
Magic Johnson
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:35 pm

Lakers4Life wrote:John Wooden
Kobe Bryant
Jackie Robinson
Magic Johnson

I agree with this list on so many levels and many reasons! I thought my Indy list was Great, Craig these are awesome choices!
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:02 pm

California would have to be Joe Montana, Magic Johnson, Vin Scully and Chick Hearn.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:39 am

lakerevolution wrote:California would have to be Joe Montana, Magic Johnson, Vin Scully and Chick Hearn.

Yeah I would probably go Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, Joe Montana, and John Wooden. The only thing I had a problem with Craig's list is Robinson played in Brooklyn (Brooklyn Dodgers) not LA so he cant qualify but the other 3 Craig had I agree with. I forgot it wasn't the LA Dodgers when he was there. I agree with you regarding Joe Montana. Wooden won 10 Championships so he has to be there IMO though. I think Kobe belongs over Scully or Chick. This is why it is such a tough list, you have to leave so many greats off of it to form your 4.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:25 pm

I was struggling after Joe and Magic. I almost put Sandy Koufax and O.J. Simpson (he was born in San Francisco and put USC on the map) but I decided to go with two announcers who are more than legends not only for the Lakers and Dodgers but are the most recognized voices of their sport in professional history, across all teams.
lakerevolution

Postby NuggetsCountry » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:57 pm

For Colorado, I pick:
Babe Didrickson Zaharias;
Byron "Whizzer" White;
Jack Dempsey;
Floyd Little (I saw him play - cross between Jim Brown and Gayle Sayers)

close seconds: Peggy Fleming; John Elway; Alex English; Patrick Roy; Shannon Sharpe;

also from this state: Peter Forsberg; Hale Irwin; Billy Kidd; Haven Moses; Frank Shorter; Bill Toomey; Bobby Unser.
Image :yeahthat:
NuggetsCountry
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 7

Postby Lakers4Life » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:06 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:California would have to be Joe Montana, Magic Johnson, Vin Scully and Chick Hearn.

Yeah I would probably go Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, Joe Montana, and John Wooden. The only thing I had a problem with Craig's list is Robinson played in Brooklyn (Brooklyn Dodgers) not LA so he cant qualify but the other 3 Craig had I agree with. I forgot it wasn't the LA Dodgers when he was there. I agree with you regarding Joe Montana. Wooden won 10 Championships so he has to be there IMO though. I think Kobe belongs over Scully or Chick. This is why it is such a tough list, you have to leave so many greats off of it to form your 4.

He grew up in Pasadena, CA
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:53 pm

Lakers4Life wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:

He grew up in Pasadena, CA

This is true, I probably should've clarified more when I created this Thread that it is basically based on what Players or Coaches accomplished in your state throughout a career. Larry Bird was born Indiana but played his career in Boston so I didn't list him. Nevertheless all of these lists are good and fun. I did forget Robinson played his entire career in Brooklyn. I had to look up and didn't realize the Dodgers didn't become LA until 1958.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:38 pm

NuggetsCountry wrote:For Colorado, I pick:
Byron "Whizzer" White;
Jack Dempsey;

close seconds: Peggy Fleming; John Elway; Alex English; Patrick Roy; Shannon Sharpe;

also from this state: Peter Forsberg; Hale Irwin; Billy Kidd; Haven Moses; Frank Shorter; Bill Toomey; Bobby Unser.

Quite a list Nuggs, I think the "popular" braindead answers would have the real Johnny Football Elway chiseled for all he's done for the Broncos since the mid-80s. Babe, hell yes. Dempsey, hell yes. They may not have performed their feats inside the borders of Colorado State very often, but those are two early icons of their sport.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:40 pm

lakerevolution wrote:
NuggetsCountry wrote:For Colorado, I pick:
Byron "Whizzer" White;
Jack Dempsey;

Quite a list Nuggs, I think the "popular" braindead answers would have the real Johnny Football Elway chiseled for all he's done for the Broncos since the mid-80s. Babe, hell yes. Dempsey, hell yes. They may not have performed their feats inside the borders of Colorado State very often, but those are two early icons of their sport.

I agree Nuggs list was pretty solid. I would've had Elway instead of Floyd Little but hey it's his list and he lives in Colorado so I repesct it. Babe Didrickson was a nice pick I didn't see coming!
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk