R.I.P. YOU ARE THE GREATEST

Re: R.I.P. YOU ARE THE GREATEST

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:04 pm

Best ever, RIP Champ. He was a guy that always did it his way and was the best.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:47 am

This is depressing. Just woke up, I pretty much went to bed after hearing this news. All I am doing today is watching Ali fights! That was awesome when he beat George. I am watching that fight first. Back then George was Mike Tyson but with gigantic size, Ali still won!
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:28 am

He was The Greatest of All Time. This is emotional for me because he was on a different level than Mantle, Magic, Montana, Kobe and Jeter for me (Jordan, Tiger and obviously LeBron were never that for me), and that is because of all of what he stood for in and out of the ring. Never has the world seen a human being like him. May this gift to all of us rest in eternal peace. Rumble, young man, rumble.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:47 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:He was The Greatest of All Time. This is emotional for me because he was on a different level than Mantle, Magic, Montana, Kobe and Jeter for me (Jordan, Tiger and obviously LeBron were never that for me), and that is because of all of what he stood for in and out of the ring. Never has the world seen a human being like him. May this gift to all of us rest in eternal peace. Rumble, young man, rumble.

I was really a baby when he was doing his thing but luckily for me ESPN has and does show his fights in there entirety with Smokin Joe and George so I can watch them like watching them live. Great stuff! I also watched where he knocked out Liston too that was in the 60's. I want to watch when he fights the Bayonne Bleeder LOL. Wepner was his name I think?? For me if anything happened to Magic or Peyton that would really destroy me inside. I know everyone passes but those 2 guys to me are what defines how the game should be played. When Magic got HIV and had to retire it made me so sick, I didn't watch a game in 1992 until the ALL-Star Game and I have always watched or kept on eye on all Lakers games since the mid 80's when cable showed most of them.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:57 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:I want to watch when he fights the Bayonne Bleeder LOL. Wepner was his name I think??

Chuck Wepner .. The Bayonne Bleeder. From my home state, NJ. Here's round 15. I watched all of his fights and saw this one at a movie theater in Nashville when I went to Vanderblit for my freshman year of college. I saw the Foreman fight at the same theater with my friends.

Here's round 15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7I-98nGXcc
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:33 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:I want to watch when he fights the Bayonne Bleeder LOL. Wepner was his name I think??

Chuck Wepner .. The Bayonne Bleeder. From my home state, NJ. Here's round 15. I watched all of his fights and saw this one at a movie theater in Nashville when I went to Vanderblit for my freshman year of college. I saw the Foreman fight at the same theater with my friends.

Here's round 15:

Great stuff! Yeah I am dedicated this day to Ali. I bet watching him live gave you and many the chills! I remember watching Sugar Ray Leonard with his speed/footwork/and brash talk when I was a kid and loved it. If I was born 10 years sooner Ali probably would've been my idol. I love boxers who talk shit and can back it up on top of it. Sugar Ray did that and so did Tyson. Ali was the man!
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:45 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:
KobeMVP888 wrote:

Here's round 15:

Great stuff! Yeah I am dedicated this day to Ali. I bet watching him live gave you and many the chills! I remember watching Sugar Ray Leonard with his speed/footwork/and brash talk when I was a kid and loved it. If I was born 10 years sooner Ali probably would've been my idol. I love boxers who talk shit and can back it up on top of it. Sugar Ray did that and so did Tyson. Ali was the man!

Sugar Ray Leonard came the closest to Ali in terms of style and brashness that I have seen and I loved him, too. The "No Mas" fight vs. Duran and when he defeated Marvin Hagler after a 5 year layoff and fought Hagler as a middleweight were reminiscent of when Ali defeated Liston and then Foreman after his layoff for refusing to be inducted into the military for religious reasons. Yet Leonard was not adored around the world like Ali and really didn't bring his brashness to Ali's level. Ali was an original. It came naturally tom him. There was never anyone like him before and I suspect we will never see anyone like him again.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:05 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:
KobeMVP888 wrote:

Here's round 15:

Sugar Ray Leonard came the closest to Ali in terms of style and brashness that I have seen and I loved him, too. The "No Mas" fight vs. Duran and when he defeated Marvin Hagler after a 5 year layoff and fought Hagler as a middleweight were reminiscent of when Ali defeated Liston and then Foreman after his layoff for refusing to be inducted into the military for religious reasons. Yet Leonard was not adored around the world like Ali and really didn't bring his brashness to Ali's level. Ali was an original. It came naturally tom him. There was never anyone like him before and I suspect we will never see anyone like him again.

We will never see anyone like him again IMO, Sugar Ray was similar to him but wasn't a Heavy WT. The Heavy WT Division has sucked Balls since Mike Tyson declined. Evander was Great and to Evander's credit he beat Tyson twice but he beat a Mike Tyson in the mid to late 90's. Mike Tyson in 1988 would've kicked his ass and everyone knows it LOL. You know me and my lists but if I had to list all-time Great Heavy WT's in their prime I would go:
1. Ali - early to mid 70's
2. Tyson - 1985 - 1988
3. George - early 70's
4. Smokin Joe - early 70's
5. Wepner - Just kidding :roflmao: 5 would probably be Holmes - early 80's
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:22 am

KobeMVP888

Postby Lakers4Life » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:48 pm

I LOVE THIS ICONIC PICTURE!!

ALIL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lakers4Life

Postby Lakers4Life » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:56 pm

Best quotes by the greatest:

tumblr_lvte6l2lAp1qbsg6oo1_1280.jpg

1.“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'”

2. “The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses—behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.”

3. “He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.”

4. “It’s lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself.”

5. "Friendship … is not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.”

6. “I know where I’m going and I know the truth, and I don’t have to be what you want me to be. I’m free to be what I want.”

7. “A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”

8. “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.”

9. "Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.”

10. “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.”

11. “I am the greatest. I said that even before I knew I was. I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest.”

12. “If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.”

13. “Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.”

14. “Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them—a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.”

15. “There are no pleasures in a fight, but some of my fights have been a pleasure to win.”

16. "I’ve wrestled with alligators / I’ve tussled with a whale / I done handcuffed lightning / And throw thunder in jail.”

17. “Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”

18. “If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it—then I can achieve it.”

19. “Don’t count the days; make the days count.”

20. “It’s not bragging if you can back it up.”

21. “At home I am a nice guy: but I don’t want the world to know. Humble people, I’ve found, don’t get very far.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lakers4Life

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:18 pm

Great stuff, Craig! What's interesting is how we and seemingly the rest of the NBA fan world constantly discuss who has the title of GOAT.

There is only one TRUE GOAT.

And here's some must watch great stuff:

KobeMVP888

Postby NuggetsCountry » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Rumble in the Jungle - Only fight I ever did a pay viewing, except a live one in Las Vegas.

RIP Champ!
Image :yeahthat:
NuggetsCountry
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 7

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:35 am

Lakers4Life wrote:Best quotes by the greatest:

tumblr_lvte6l2lAp1qbsg6oo1_1280.jpg

1.“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'”

2. “The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses—behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.”

3. “He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.”

4. “It’s lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself.”

5. "Friendship … is not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.”

6. “I know where I’m going and I know the truth, and I don’t have to be what you want me to be. I’m free to be what I want.”

7. “A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”

8. “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.”

9. "Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.”

10. “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.”

11. “I am the greatest. I said that even before I knew I was. I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest.”

12. “If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.”

13. “Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.”

14. “Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them—a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.”

15. “There are no pleasures in a fight, but some of my fights have been a pleasure to win.”

16. "I’ve wrestled with alligators / I’ve tussled with a whale / I done handcuffed lightning / And throw thunder in jail.”

17. “Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”

18. “If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it—then I can achieve it.”

19. “Don’t count the days; make the days count.”

20. “It’s not bragging if you can back it up.”

21. “At home I am a nice guy: but I don’t want the world to know. Humble people, I’ve found, don’t get very far.”

Love it! Craig has been on a roll lately. Great stuff!
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:38 am

NuggetsCountry wrote:Rumble in the Jungle - Only fight I ever did a pay viewing, except a live one in Las Vegas.

RIP Champ!

When he beat George that had to be one of the most exciting things to see. Back then George was unbeatable!
3Peatkb24

Next

Return to LakerTalk