What The Lakers can learn from Apple & Google

What The Lakers can learn from Apple & Google

Postby Lakers4Life » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:08 am

The disease that affects every great company: the assurance that what worked before will work eternally into the future, even if circumstances have changed.

What makes companies great is inevitably what makes companies fail, whenever that day comes"

This is such a great lesson to not only businesses but sports organizations as well, especially those with a storied franchise that have shown consistent, unprecedented success. Organizations such as the Los Angeles Lakers.

For the past few years, much has been made about the Lakers' "silly" aspiration to sign top tier free agents despite having little to offer other than the Lakers' brand and geographic location.

For outside observers (myself included), the question was always: "Why wait on a player like Carmelo Anthony rather than play the restricted free agency game or sign a player like Isaiah Thomas to a good contract when he wants to come?" To evaluate that, let's first think about what the Lakers culture actually is.

The Lakers have always held a noble "championship or bust" mentality and won with marquee superstars. From Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain, Magic and Kareem, Shaq and Kobe, the Lakers were always a dual threat of star players and championship aspiration.

Owner Dr. Jerry Buss believed in this vision and continued to bet on it successfully and created a culture that spread to each employee in the organization. A strong culture is something that spreads organically, and doesn't need to be explicitly stated. An Apple employee doesn't need to be told that every millimeter of a physical good must be perfected; he or she is well aware of the expectation when they walk into the door. A Google employee doesn't need to be told that their code needs to be impeccable and contribute to Google's incredible platform - he or she knows that implicitly.

Similarly, Dr. Buss may have passed, but his vision hasn't. Dr. Buss did not sit down with Jim Buss, Mitch Kupchak, and Jeanie Buss and hand them a guide of how to run the team, they understood what the Lakers culture stood for. So it's understandable that the Lakers have conducted themselves in a "wait on the 1% chance Carmelo Anthony joins the team rather than build steadily" manner. It make sense that the Lakers traded for Steve Nash, Dwight Howard, and Chris Paul, and signed Kobe to his last extension. It makes sense that the Lakers tried to recreate Showtime with Mike D'Antoni, and it makes sense that subsequently they've hired coaches that "know what it means to be a Laker". It makes sense that Jim Buss thought the Lakers would be a contender by this season, and publicly declared a deadline putting his job on the line. It might make sense, however, but it might not always be right.

"What makes companies great is inevitably what makes companies fail..."

This is where the "curse of culture" comes into focus. There comes a time where what has worked for generations simply doesn't work anymore. Who internally will be the driving force to come to that realization and shift the culture? Will they do it at the right time, or will it be too late?

My argument is ultimately not that the Lakers need to make a dramatic shift in the way they've done things, nor that they haven't already come to this realization. The fact remains that to win an NBA championship, you need to have superstars on your roster. As the CBA evolves and the competitive landscape of the NBA shifts to create a semblance of more parity, the Lakers, like others, have to adapt. The path towards a championship is based more on organic growth and less on the dramatic acquisitions that the Lakers are accustomed to.

It appears that the Lakers are on the right path after some missteps, from hiring Luke Walton to Mitch Kupchak refuting rumors that the Lakers would be looking to trade the #2 pick. The "curse of culture" is perhaps the reason it took the Lakers longer to reach this point than it should have, but it is understandable for all the reasons stated.

Moving forward, if the Lakers continue their measured and strong approach, their built-in advantages will be amplified in the free agency market. If the Lakers sign players that fit what they're building and avoid signing big name players for the sake of doing so (hi, DeMar), the win totals should exponentially grow and make the team that much more attractive to prospective players.

The gift and the curse of culture is that once it gets established, it gets deeply ingrained. The Lakers are in a prime position to adapt a culture that has worked for more than 30 years. If they succeed, it could set up the next 30 years in the team's storied history.
Lakers4Life

Re: What The Lakers can learn from Apple & Google

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:00 am

That's a hell of a Post there, gets my like! :cheers:
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby Lakers4Life » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:19 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:That's a hell of a Post there, gets my like! :cheers:

:boozbuds:
Lakers4Life

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:01 am

When you've been blessed with 30+ years of Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Shaq and Kobe (and of course Riley and Jackson), and look at all the titles and incredible memories, a few seasons of failure aren't shit. We'll be back in contention sooner than later.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:47 am

lakerevolution wrote:When you've been blessed with 30+ years of Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Shaq and Kobe (and of course Riley and Jackson), and look at all the titles and incredible memories, a few seasons of failure aren't shit. We'll be back in contention sooner than later.

I agree. What other teams have won 10 Titles since 1980, none in Basketball, Football, Baseball, or Hockey. This Thread is really great. Craig's Post was enjoyable to read!
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:54 am

As everyone knows, I believe these down times have been more circumstantial than organizational. Dr. Buss was part of a front office that decided to mortgage our future for championships and we were fortunate enough to get two of them at the end of last decade. Championships are precious and should not be taken for granted. After the new CBA hamstrung us and Stern vetoed the CP3 trade, Mitch and Jim gave us a shot at more by making the no-brainer Dwight Howard trade and the Nash deal after Nash came off another all-star season. While that gamble may have failed, this isn't our time anyway, so I think we are closer to becoming relevant again than we would have been if the Lakers tried another apporach. What that would have been is beyond me given the ridiculous payroll. For those of you who remember beton42, he was of the opinion that we should have traded Kobe after the 2010 championship. Had we done that and traded Pau also, we probably would have been a playoff team by now, but we certainly wouldn't be competing with the elite teams yet. Mitch Kupchak's deliberate, methodical approach appears to be paying dividends now, but we shall see. The best is yet to come, but it just might not be soon enough for the palates of certain fans. As for me, as kjkirby said, I will continue to "enjoy the climb." Once again, it's not our time anyway.

Great stuff, Craig!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:17 am

This Thread should be framed for GREATNESS! Great stuff everyone! Kirby was in here earlier I seen him. Great too see people still coming here even if they don't Post.
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk