MLB - the 7th Inning Stretch

Re: MLB - the 7th Inning Stretch

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:51 am

Yikes! Cole Hamels gets ROCKED in two innings by his former team. On the "Phlip" side, former Cubs pitcher Jake Arrieta - who has fallen off since leaving Chicago - is out for the season with an injury.

The Cubs are battling the Brew Crew and the Red Birds (winners of 5 straight and tied for the division lead as of today) in the tightest race in the MLB.

Out West, the National League has basically pulled a disappering act - allowing the Dodgers (9-1 in their last ten games) to basically run away with the division. 19.5 game lead over the second-place D-bags. Accordingly, there is no team with more pressure to win a championship than this season's Dodgers. After the way we've lost the last two World Series, anything less than a title will be a disappointment.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:26 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Yikes! Cole Hamels gets ROCKED in two innings by his former team. On the "Phlip" side, former Cubs pitcher Jake Arrieta - who has fallen off since leaving Chicago - is out for the season with an injury.

The Cubs are battling the Brew Crew and the Red Birds (winners of 5 straight and tied for the division lead as of today) in the tightest race in the MLB.

Out West, the National League has basically pulled a disappering act - allowing the Dodgers (9-1 in their last ten games) to basically run away with the division. 19.5 game lead over the second-place D-bags. Accordingly, there is no team with more pressure to win a championship than this season's Dodgers. After the way we've lost the last two World Series, anything less than a title will be a disappointment.

Yeah I feel bad for Jake, he will always go down as an all-time Cub great. Tough break for him. Well what can I say Rev? The road woes still continue for the Cubs and now we are once again in a dog fight for the NL Central division lead.

There is huge pressure on the Dodgers to win the WS this season. They along with the Cubs over the last 5 seasons have been the best teams in baseball record wise. Cubs got their WS win in 2016 though. The Dodgers have not with this same core group of guys. If the Dodgers do not win the WS, I will feel like this group of guys is jinxed.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:51 pm

Cubs had a 5-0 lead and blew it, we can't win on the road this season. It is the Dodgers year if they can beat the Astros or Yankees. Whatever you do, do not lose to the Indians :roflmao: . They could win the AL lol. If the Dodgers lose to the Indians in a WS I will do a belly flop in disgust at my local gym's pool full steam.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:01 pm

Oakland -

Watching the end of this crazy A's vs. Astros game, first of a four-game series . . each team had already hit 5 homers in this very warm evening air until the A's Matt Chapman broke a 6-6 tie by stroking his second homer of the game. 5th time in MLB history that four players have each hit two homers in a game and I think they just said that this is the first 10+ homer game in Oakland Coliseum history. This series and the next vs. the Yankees are pivotal for the A's who are 9.5 games behind the Astros in the AL West and trail the Rays by 2 games for the second Wild Card spot. Game just ended, a 7-6 win for the A's.

Both the Yanks and the Dodgers got whipped tonight - the Dodgers 13-7 by the Marlins and the Yanks got completely demolished 19-5 by the Indians. The Dodgers' Cody Bellinger hit his NL-best 40th homer in the loss and the Indians drove the ball out of the park like crazy against the Yanks as well, beginning with a grand slam and pouring it on from there.

As for the Cubs, Yu Darvish turned in his fourth straight 8-strikeout/zero-walk game - only the second pitcher to do that in MLB history - but the Cubs still managed to lose a 5-1 9th inning lead to the Phillies on a walkoff grand slam by ESPN cover boy Bryce Harper to get swept in the three-game series. Gotta be frustrating for Cubs fans, as well as the players who thought that a rare road win was in the bag. The dog days are here, less than 40 games to go - it's officially the 4th quarter. :bbalargu:
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Oakland -

Watching the end of this crazy A's vs. Astros game, first of a four-game series . . each team had already hit 5 homers in this very warm evening air until the A's Matt Chapman broke a 6-6 tie by stroking his second homer of the game. 5th time in MLB history that four players have each hit two homers in a game and I think they just said that this is the first 10+ homer game in Oakland Coliseum history. This series and the next vs. the Yankees are pivotal for the A's who are 9.5 games behind the Astros in the AL West and trail the Rays by 2 games for the second Wild Card spot. Game just ended, a 7-6 win for the A's.

Both the Yanks and the Dodgers got whipped tonight - the Dodgers 13-7 by the Marlins and the Yanks got completely demolished 19-5 by the Indians. The Dodgers' Cody Bellinger hit his NL-best 40th homer in the loss and the Indians drove the ball out of the park like crazy against the Yanks as well, beginning with a grand slam and pouring it on from there.

As for the Cubs, Yu Darvish turned in his fourth straight 8-strikeout/zero-walk game - only the second pitcher to do that in MLB history - but the Cubs still managed to lose a 5-1 9th inning lead to the Phillies on a walkoff grand slam by ESPN cover boy Bryce Harper to get swept in the three-game series. Gotta be frustrating for Cubs fans, as well as the players who thought that a rare road win was in the bag. The dog days are here, less than 40 games to go - it's officially the 4th quarter. :bbalargu:

At least the Cards lost so the Cubs are still tied for 1st. Tonight's loss made me puke. Yu was awesome. Nice win by the A's by the way. See above as I commented about the Dodgers.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:59 am

Heading into August 18th, the Cubs and Cards are tied for 1st in the NL Central. Cubs are 65-58 and the Cards are 64-57. Great news for the Cubs after today because their next 6 games are at home. After today they will have played 64 on the road and only 60 at home. Going into their 10 game road trip I was hoping the Cubs would come out of this at worse in a tie for 1st, they may very well just do that.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:57 pm

Cubs did what they needed to do. They went on a long 10 game road trip and came out of it still tied for 1st in the NL Central with the Cards. I am good with it. Cubs killed the Pirates tonight 7-1.

NL Central standings look like this heading into August 19th
Cards 65-57
Cubs 66-58
Brewers 64-60 (2 back)
Reds 58-65 (7.5 back)
Pirates 51-72 (14.5 back)

Cards start a 3 game series with the Brewers tomorrow, good luck with that lol. Cubs have the day off on Monday and play the next 6 at Wrigley. Cubs host the Giants on Tuesday and Hamels is pitching for the Cubs. It's all good baby!
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:26 pm

Pretty cool playing at Williamsport and the Cubs *technically won a road game in front of the kids :waaaaa: "no kidding" :Bartmoon: as Bart would say to Chicago Bessie burning barn fans: "Don't have a cow, maaan!" :willie:
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:18 pm

Cubs can't seem to catch a break since winning it all. Brandon Morrow is the Boogie Cousins of the MLB:

ESPN - "Chicago Cubs reliever Brandon Morrow was shut down for the season Wednesday because of lingering elbow problems, essentially ending his two-year stint with the team.

Morrow, 35, has been out since last year's All-Star break after signing a two-year, $21 million deal before the 2018 season. His most recent comeback attempt looked promising, but the right-hander never got to the point of a rehab assignment.

Morrow has had a career marked by injury, but when healthy, he has been very good. He pitched in all seven games of the 2017 World Series for the Los Angeles Dodgers before signing with the Cubs after the season. In June 2018, he was used by the Cubs in three consecutive games, potentially leading to his lingering issues.

Morrow saved 22 of 24 games in the first half of 2018, but that's all the Cubs got for their $21 million. They have a team option for $12 million for 2020, but that's very unlikely to be picked up. They signed Craig Kimbrel to a three-year deal in June, and he has taken over as the Cubs' closer."
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:20 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Cubs can't seem to catch a break since winning it all. Brandon Morrow is the Boogie Cousins of the MLB:

ESPN - "Chicago Cubs reliever Brandon Morrow was shut down for the season Wednesday because of lingering elbow problems, essentially ending his two-year stint with the team.

Morrow, 35, has been out since last year's All-Star break after signing a two-year, $21 million deal before the 2018 season. His most recent comeback attempt looked promising, but the right-hander never got to the point of a rehab assignment.

Morrow has had a career marked by injury, but when healthy, he has been very good. He pitched in all seven games of the 2017 World Series for the Los Angeles Dodgers before signing with the Cubs after the season. In June 2018, he was used by the Cubs in three consecutive games, potentially leading to his lingering issues.

Morrow saved 22 of 24 games in the first half of 2018, but that's all the Cubs got for their $21 million. They have a team option for $12 million for 2020, but that's very unlikely to be picked up. They signed Craig Kimbrel to a three-year deal in June, and he has taken over as the Cubs' closer."

We have had some bad luck with injuries since winning the World Series in 2016 no doubt. Having said that we still made the playoffs in 2017 and 2018 despite the injuries to key players.

Tonight was just another example of showing the heart of a champion. Kris Bryant (aka MVP) hit a 2 run HR in the 8th inning against the Giants to put the Cubs up 12-11. Cubs ended up winning 12-11 as Craig Kimbrel closed the game in the 9th. Cards lost tonight to the Brewers. Despite everything that has went on this season, the NL Central standings look like this heading into August 22nd:

Cubs 68-58
Cards 67-58 (.5 back)
Brewers 65-62 (3.5 back)

After the amazing 12-11 win over the Giants, manager Joe Maddon commented on Bryant's game winning home run. He said, nothing surprises me when it comes to that kid, he just seems to always come through. Bryant added, I just seen a pitch I liked and I hit it perfectly.

The Cubs continue to dominate at home with a record of 43-19.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:18 pm

The no-name Oakland A's keep playing amazing baseball at home, taking 3 of 4 from the Asstroes and beating the Yanks two straight in this series.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:30 pm

Cubs sweep Giants :kingclaphands: . Cubs are now 1 full game ahead of the Cards in the NL Central after their 1-0 win today at Wrigley. Cubs improve to 69-58 on the season and 44-19 at Wrigley. Cubs are winners of 5 straight, the dog days of August are looking better now for the Cubs. It's August 22nd and the Brewers are 4 games back :roflmao: , serves their fanbase right for being stuck up pricks after having 1 good season that didn't even end in a WS Championship. :waaaaa:

NL Central standings as of August 22nd
Cubs 69-58
Cards 67-58 (1 back)
Brewers 65-62 (4 back)
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:21 am

Another Kershaw game attended, another loss. I had a great weekend in LA but my Dodgers narrowly avoided a sweep and basically didn't show up yesterday vs. the Yankees. Home runs dominate games now, barely any small-ball chess matches anymore. At least the tacky uniform and name changes thing is through, back to basics. 30 games left.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:55 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Another Kershaw game attended, another loss. I had a great weekend in LA but my Dodgers narrowly avoided a sweep and basically didn't show up yesterday vs. the Yankees. Home runs dominate games now, barely any small-ball chess matches anymore. At least the tacky uniform and name changes thing is through, back to basics. 30 games left.

To me it is winning the WS or bust for the Dodgers, Rev. If they do not win it this season then I am convinced this core of players is jinxed. The Dodgers have had some outstanding teams throughout this whole decade but no ring to show for it. My Cubs are very inconsistent this season, I will be happy if they just make the playoffs. The Cubs do currently hold the final wildcard spot heading into August 27th. Just get in and anything can happen as they say. The Cubs can play loose in that wildcard game if that is how they get in because they have their ring already (2016) and almost everyone thinks the Dodgers will steamroll through the NL playoffs. When you are an underdog, there is no pressure.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:45 pm

Cubs with an impressive sweep at NY. Cubs sweep the Mets :kingclaphands: . Cubs are now 72-61 on the season, making a playoff push. Currently the playoff teams in the NL going into August 30th would be:

Dodgers at 88-47 leading the NL West (#1 seed)
Braves at 81-54 leading the NL East (#2 seed)
Cards at 73-59 leading the NL Central (#3 seed)
*Wildcard's = Nats 74-58 and the Cubs at 72-61

-If the Cubs make the playoffs in 2019, it will be the 5th straight season that they do so. That would be the 1st time in the clubs history that they have done so in their 117th season of existence. The Cubs from 2015-2018 have made the playoffs winning a World Series in 2016. Making the playoffs 5 seasons in a row would be a great accomplishment but the Cubs still feel like they can win a 2nd World Series in 4 seasons. Winning another World Series will be a monumental task though considering you have the Dodgers who are 88-47, Yankees 88-47, and the Astros 87-48. Hey fun times are here for baseball, lets play ball!
3Peatkb24

PreviousNext

Return to LakerTalk