2016 Draft and Free Agent Thread

2016 Draft and Free Agent Thread

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:36 am

Let's start with this. I was hoping we'd target him, but he ain't going nowhere, as they say.

I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: 2016 Draft and Free Agent Thread

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:38 am

Magic should quit tweeting this shit. Cracks me up that he thinks the same approach that has reaped nada the past two summers will now suddenly work.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby Lakers4Life » Tue May 03, 2016 7:11 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:

Magic should quit tweeting this shit. Cracks me up that he thinks the same approach that has reaped nada the past two summers will now suddenly work.

Yeah I agree. Those 2 in particular are not coming. In saying that you would be remiss as The Lakers not to make an offer just in case
Lakers4Life

Postby Julius Russell » Wed May 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Have to offer
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:15 pm

http://www.lakersnation.com/a-few-silve ... -204716497

Everyone should read this article. With all our developing young players, I'm not sure that the silver linings don't outweigh keeping the pick. Better talent all the way around next summer. In my mind, it's more about 'basketball gods'/psychological stuff than anything else.
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Wed May 11, 2016 7:19 pm

Bismack
In my mind, we aren't good enough offensively with our core's age to have a player who is such an offensive liability. Moreso than Noah for example who I would love for the locker room and his passing, I view him a lot in the vein of Bogut in terms of GS. Add in Nance and Randle and we can do some forward.

I like Bismack but I really prefer Brandon Bass at C for the price/ leadership/offensive
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Wed May 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Julius Russell wrote:Bismack
In my mind, we aren't good enough offensively with our core's age to have a player who is such an offensive liability. Moreso than Noah for example who I would love for the locker room and his passing, I view him a lot in the vein of Bogut in terms of GS. Add in Nance and Randle and we can do some forward.

I like Bismack but I really prefer Brandon Bass at C for the price/ leadership/offensive

He's only 23 and durable. Plays D, sets screens, protects the rim and has a high hoops IQ. We can find fire power elsewhere.
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Thu May 12, 2016 7:49 am

Bass old? Lol.

Anyway. Mahimi is another I prefer to Bismack.
Julius Russell

Postby NuggetsCountry » Thu May 12, 2016 1:12 pm

While I normally endorse "good locker room guys", I am fed up with mediocre teams. Get some fuckin' All-Star potential/made players, already! Somehow!

I still think it is time for Mitch and Jim to go, just to move on............ Stern fucked us, but enough is enough - new blood would be much better for fan hopes, if not in results.
Image :yeahthat:
NuggetsCountry
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 7

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:32 pm

NuggetsCountry wrote:While I normally endorse "good locker room guys", I am fed up with mediocre teams. Get some fuckin' All-Star potential/made players, already! Somehow!

I still think it is time for Mitch and Jim to go, just to move on............ Stern fucked us, but enough is enough - new blood would be much better for fan hopes, if not in results.

I agree, as a fan base I don't know how much more patient one can be. We just suffered through 3 rotten seasons at 27-55, 21-61, and 17-65. Got nothing for Dwight, got nothing for Pau, Had MDA and Byron as Coaches, and just watch the Lakers waste away Kobe's last 3 seasons. I just see no excuse why we cant land at least 1 huge Free Agent this summer or 2 Very Good one's with our Salary Cap situation now. If we keep our pick that even gives our FO less of an excuse to fail because we can either trade it for a Very Good proven player or perhaps Draft Ben Simmons or Ingram. If we Draft that Bender dude I will literally break something! After last seasons draft who knows what our FO will do though! We already made a Great move by hiring Luke so that is a start, keep it going Mitch.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby Julius Russell » Thu May 12, 2016 2:11 pm

People not living in LA dictating that Mitch leave and Jim for that matter need to chill.

Let's go through the absolute real of the situation for those who don't get it.

Dwight trade.

Kobe, and others sensed that he wasn't WORTHY to build around.

They didn't retain him.

Kobe agreed to be a draw for the Lakers for 2 years of rebuilding.
IF he defied odds, we would have been in playoff mix. If not, lottery mix.

Just like OKC , Warriors and Cavs needed assets from lottery so do we.

Now we have them, and we're on the road to competing.

This is year 1 of a rebuild. Get over it. No great team is built in Ba day.

We've won 2 titles in the past 6 seasons.

Don't be irrational
Julius Russell

Postby NuggetsCountry » Thu May 12, 2016 2:20 pm

Julius Russell wrote:People not living in LA dictating that Mitch leave and Jim for that matter need to chill.

Living in LA does not make one smarter about Lakers matters or more rational!! Some of us who live in God's country would argue people living in LA are fools for that reason alone! LOL Hell...............even our esteemed leader (Ken) doesn't live there! :roflmao:

Since 1957 (Minneapolis Lakers) for me as a Lakers fan, gives me have seniority if nothing else! LOL :geezer:
Image :yeahthat:
NuggetsCountry
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 7

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:40 pm

Mistakes have been made indeed. Why didn't we see the potential in players like Al-Fariq Aminu? Isaiah Thomas? Why didn't we re-sign Kent Bazemore? Ed Davis? Jodie Meeks? In hindsight, these ALL would have been VALUE signings.

HAVING SAID THAT, even if we didn't give Kobe that contract, where would we be today with those guys? Would that have attracted a guy like Aldridge? Would we have even had the cap space to offer him a max contract? I think the most we could have expected after the CBA, CP3 ordeal and failed gamble on Dwight and Nash would have been being middle of the packers, first round playoff exits AT THE MOST. IF that would have been the case, our roster of young players would have looked different, too, not that we know how these guys are going to turn out.

Given the recent interview with Byron Scott where he said he had multiple meetings with Mitch& Jim where they asked him if he was ready for a few really rough seasons, the thinking all along has been to get great players and, if we can't, then tank and start drafting some real projected NBA talent, as they have done. Unlike Sam Hinkie, Mitch cannot tell the Lakers fan base to simply "trust the process." He has to use a different narrative.

I have been an advocate for fresh blood in the front office, but given the fact that the Lakers have allegedly beefed up the analytics department, promoted Ryan West to Director of Player Personnel and hired Luke Walton to guide us into the future, perhaps the "plan" is being executed. I think the TV deal blindsided them, which is a far worse thing to happen in the middle of this rebuild than getting nothing for Pau Gasol. Where Jerry Buss was the beneficiary of good luck literally from the moment he purchased the Lakers, his daughter & son have experienced the exact opposite. They have been hamstrung.

Let's see if next Tuesday brings us some luck. If we don't keep our top 3 pick, perhaps it will be a blessing in disguise anyway.
KobeMVP888

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu May 12, 2016 2:42 pm

NuggetsCountry wrote:even our esteemed leader (Ken) doesn't live there! :roflmao:

Hey, I'm not an esteemed anything! :Nuggsmad:

I'm just a fan voicing my opinions like all my brethren in here.
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Thu May 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Ken to address your aforementioned post.

Why would we pay Aminu?

Our stars are developing...

Aminu may or may not fit the future of LA...

When you rebuild, you don't do it with pieces like IT.

IT will likely prevent a team from getting a true star. Look at Kings. Cousins was pre Thomas.

Give me Russell, all day over Thomas. Give me this young core over any young core except Minnesota.

Adding a Thomas, Aminu and ED Davis with no Lillard and ha info room to sign anyone and rookies who are in that 13-17 range instead of 2-7.

Everything about that is short sighted.

Now if you're old and worrying about death, like Buss in 2012, I get the reason why you wanna rush a rebuild. But if you truly care about the franchise, you do what Mitch is doing.

And you certainly don't shit on Dr Buss' wishes a couple seasons into his death.

It's pathetic in my eyes when Jim is even mentioned.

Never hear the owner of the Bucks mentioned. Never
Julius Russell

Next

Return to LakerTalk