Luke Walton is excited to become Lakers new coach

Luke Walton is excited to become Lakers new coach

Postby Lakers4Life » Sun May 01, 2016 2:15 am

The Golden State Warriors geared up for the Western Conference Semifinals on Saturday, but the bulk of the attention was on the postseason plans for one of their assistant coaches.

Luke Walton, who was announced as the next head coach of the Lakers, met with the media for the first time since the decision was made official on Friday.

“I think they have some good, young, talented players,” Walton told the assembled reporters. “Obviously you need to mix in some good vets with that to not only win, but to have players on the court that can help the young players grow. I’m excited about the players and the pieces there.”

Walton will remain with the Warriors for the remainder of their title defense, but head coach Steve Kerr has already offered his opinion on the challenge of finding a new associate coach.

“You can’t replace Luke,” Kerr said. “He’s one-of-a-kind. They broke the mold after they made Luke. We’re gonna miss him desperately.”

Walton led the Warriors to a 39-4 record while Kerr missed the first half of the season due to complications stemming from offseason back surgery. The 36-year-old even guided the Warriors to the best start in NBA history, as they won their first 24 games, which earned him the Western Conference Coach of the Month award for the October/November period.

Walton even received one second- and two third-place votes for Coach of the Year, which was won by Kerr, as Golden State's 73-9 record topped the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls for the most wins ever.

“I can’t believe Luke Walton’s the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers,” Klay Thompson said. “I feel like I was just watching him play five years ago for them.”

Like Kerr, Draymond Green had a bittersweet outlook on Walton's departure from the team.

“I’m excited for him, but at the same time this one stings a little bit,” Green said. “He’s obviously a guy that we want around. But I think when you have the kind of success that we had, and you prove what he proved this year, he’s deserving. And that’s a dream job for him.”

Looking forward, Walton has already assessed the crop of young talent that highlights the Lakers' roster. Based on personnel, he doesn't plan to run the triangle offense that worked so well during his time as a Laker under Phil Jackson from 2003-2012.

“I don’t think the triangle’s the most appropriate offense for the players that they have in place right there,” Walton said. “I think I’m gonna bring more of the style and spacing that we use up here, which has elements of the triangle in its philosophy. But it’s more of the the style we play here at Golden State.”

Walton acknowledges that it won't be easy to turn around a team that reset the franchise record for most losses in back-to-back seasons. A big part of this is establishing a culture in his first season at the helm.

“The (challenge) here was to take a good team that had already established themselves and trying to make them great,” Walton said. “With the team in L.A., we need to go down there and build a foundation. … We’re trying to set the foundation for how we want to play, what’s acceptable, the style of play, how we compete — all these things.”
Lakers4Life

Re: Luke Walton is excited to become Lakers new coach

Postby lakerevolution » Sun May 01, 2016 10:54 am

Awkwaaaarrrd!!! But it HAS to mean good things for the Lakers. I hope Luke doesn't come and preside over a 35-win team for 4 years.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun May 01, 2016 2:55 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Awkwaaaarrrd!!! But it HAS to mean good things for the Lakers. I hope Luke doesn't come and preside over a 35-win team for 4 years.

I think was probably the best choice we could make. He and Ollie were the best IMO. I am glad we chose someone that played in the league but is young as well that can relate to todays player. I am hoping Luke can help persuade Good players to come to LA. The fun is just beginning. This is the best move we have made in a long while.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun May 01, 2016 5:53 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Awkwaaaarrrd!!! But it HAS to mean good things for the Lakers. I hope Luke doesn't come and preside over a 35-win team for 4 years.

No, but a 35 win season in Year 1 would be fantastic!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Sun May 01, 2016 9:55 pm

The good players are here. They are just young.

As I was trying to explain to someone earlier. By next season, Randle and Russell will likely be underpaid.
So overpaying a veteran guy to help during that transition isn't the worst idea.

Think about David Lee in GS.

He played a role in the building of that roster.
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:31 am

Julius Russell wrote:The good players are here. They are just young.

As I was trying to explain to someone earlier. By next season, Randle and Russell will likely be underpaid.
So overpaying a veteran guy to help during that transition isn't the worst idea.

Think about David Lee in GS.

He played a role in the building of that roster.

I would love to see the Lakers pursue reasonably obtainable players to help build the core. The summer of 2017 is going to be rich with big names. How about guys like Ryan Anderson or Al Horford or Nic Batum? Think spacing and selfless types, not need-the-ball-in-my-hands types. I think Whiteside's a helluva talent, but not the selfess type we need. Bismack Biymombo might be though and he's only 23. If we could get 3 of those guys, then we'll be in play for big names in 2017.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby Lakers4Life » Tue May 03, 2016 8:57 pm

FB_IMG_1462332265110.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lakers4Life

Postby Julius Russell » Wed May 04, 2016 3:18 pm

Hate Anderson.

Hate him.

For me, overpaying Noah on a two year deal
Or someone like that is ideal
Julius Russell

Return to LakerTalk