Who do you want to be our new coach?

Who do you want to be our new coach?

Postby Lakers4Life » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:25 am

11 candidates who would make sense as the Lakers' next head coach

By Matt Moore / NBA writer
April 25, 2016 01:32 AM ET
Lakers fire coach Byron Scott: Four things to know

The Los Angeles Lakers are once again in the market for a head coach. A franchise known for its stability and continued excellence has suffered through an absence of both over the past four years. Mike Brown, Mike D'Antoni and now Byron Scott, all gone in less than two full years. The decision for the Lakers to not retain Scott as coach is hard to argue with after the two worst seasons in franchise history and the clashes with the younger core going forward.

What they do next is a much trickier question.

The Lakers are getting into the coach-getting business a bit late, with Tom Thibodeau and Scott Brooks both off the market. So where do they go from here? Here's a look at the most commonly rumored candidates.

1. Luke Walton, Warriors assistant coach: Walton checks all the boxes. Former Lakers player, so he's part of the "family" that they value so much. Comes in with credit as the assistant of the Warriors, so he's got a coaching title. Coached the team during their historic 24-game winning streak. Former player, so he can relate to them, younger so he can better get along with the kids on the Lakers roster while bringing youth and enthusiasm. Oh, and he's a disciple of Phil Jackson, who is rumored to possibly return to the team in a year. Walton is a no brainer, if they can convince him to take the leap.

2. Ettore Messina, San Antonio Spurs assistant coach: The Lakers' timing of letting Scott go raised an eyebrow as most point to the Warriors being up 3-1 with Walton to be available for an interview soon. However, someone who's available now is Messina, who comes in with a wealth of international experience and what is considered a brilliant basketball mind. Think of him like David Blatt, only with a better resume and none of the attitude.

Messina would be a home run choice for the Lakers, someone who can remake the team's internal culture and help make the youngsters better. His name brand value may not be high enough, however.

3. Jeff Van Gundy: Van Gundy often was involved in spats with Phil Jackson when both were coaching so you wonder about that as a fit. You also wonder if JVG's high-strung style would vibe with the L.A. lifestyle. Van Gundy is going to want to coach things his way, and the Lakers have a substantial amount of institutional memory in place. However, he's a smart coach who can both develop players and help them win games. JVG is a brand-name selection that brings credibility and a resume of success. It just seems like a lot of headaches for a guy who's been happy to chill out in the media for more than a decade.

4. David Blatt: Blatt's former players still say positive things about him despite how things ended in Cleveland. He was never supposed to take over a super-team with the Cavs. Instead, he was supposed to help a young team take the next step. The Lakers present a similar situation. Blatt has the ego to sustain the scrutiny of being an L.A. coach and his offensive system, if implemented, could do wonders with the Lakers' young guards and Julius Randle. However, it might be a bit too complex for them as well. Also, the last time a coach tried to implement Princeton principles with the Lakers it was a nuclear disaster. (Mike Brown, 2012.)

5. Nancy Lieberman: A big-name splash that makes headlines as the first woman head coach in NBA history. Lieberman is a Hall of Famer, she comes with assistant coaching experience with the Kings and ran the Mavericks' D-League team as well. She's more than qualified. Would it be a move partially driven by her gender? To be sure. That would in no way exclude her from being the right choice if the Lakers decided to go that direction.

6. Mark Jackson: Jackson took a young and rough Golden State team and transformed it into a team that believed it could win. He's passionate and connects with players in a very real way. Jackson comes with a laundry list of issues, including paranoia, a temper and a limited strategic repertoire. But he wins games, is a former player and will instill discipline.

7. Vinny Del Negro: Don't laugh. Del Negro took young players forward in Chicago and Los Angeles with the Clippers. Eventually you have to replace him when you're ready to go forward in the postseason, but as far as being a guy to transition the team and lay a foundation? He's got a good track record.

8. Kevin Ollie: The Kevin Durant approach. Ollie is a longshot given his college gig at UConn, but he has been highly sought after in recent years and has a long-standing relationship with KD. It's a pretty big gamble with a fairly obvious one-sided pull in terms of creating a distraction around Durant's free agency, and if Durant does not join him in L.A., even if Ollie was the most credible choice, it'll be seen as a failed gambit.

9. Monty Williams: The former Pelicans coach may not be ready to return to the sideline after the unspeakable tragedy he suffered this year, but Williams helped get the Pelicans ready for prime time and earn them a playoff spot. He can coach veterans and young players and is an underrated tactician who is able to connect with his players.

10. Jay Wright: The Villanova coach just won a title, so he goes on this list. The connection makes very little sense and the job would be fraught with concerns for Wright in trying to make the leap.

11. Nate McMillan: The former Trail Blazers coach always had well-balanced teams and brought a toughness while also forming efficient offenses. He's a former player as well and while not the splashy hire you might expect, is kind of like the Byron Scott hire only, you know, not a complete and utter disaster.
Lakers4Life

Re: Who do you want to be our new coach?

Postby lakerevolution » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:53 am

Ollie, Messina or Walton. I see Ollie as the most hard-nosed and focused of the bunch, but . . . it's all a big mystery with our squad right now. Blood from a turnip territory.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:46 am

Lieberman. Hands down.

I could care less. What I want, we can't get. PLAYERS!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:20 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:Lieberman. Hands down.

We should start a campaign, ALL IN FOR LIEBERMAN! I do like Kevin Ollie a lot though, I like him better than Luke. Jay Wright isn't leaving Villanova and if we hire David Blatt I am boycotting the Lakers for a while.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:38 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:

We should start a campaign, ALL IN FOR LIEBERMAN! I do like Kevin Ollie a lot though, I like him better than Luke. Jay Wright isn't leaving Villanova and if we hire David Blatt I am boycotting the Lakers for a while.

Yeah, he's #1 on my list, but what do I know? I like that he is young, apparently works well with young players, and grasps the AAU mentality of today's NBA culture. The KD thing doesn't hurt either, but probably makes no difference.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:41 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:

Yeah, he's #1 on my list, but what do I know? I like that he is young, apparently works well with young players, and grasps the AAU mentality of today's NBA culture. The KD thing doesn't hurt either, but probably makes no difference.

Yeah he would be my first choice in all seriousness. We both could be wrong but predicting someone will be great is often a crapshoot. I like him for the same reasons as you stated though.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:32 am

The LA Times this morning somehow learned of the Lakers' (partial?) list of candidates. They include:

Jeff Van Gundy- yes
Lionel Hollins- no
Mark Jackson- no

Ettore Messina- yes
Luke Walton-yes

John Calipari- yes
Kevin Ollie- yes

Caveat: I don't know shit.
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:10 pm

Luke, Messina, Ollie... Even Mark Jackson.

Andrew Bogut's religious beliefs aside, he got a ton out of those three guys. Steph is simply on a new level now. Also Ezeli was healthy
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:32 pm

hmmmm. My tweets ain't posting. Nuggz!!!
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:21 pm

My short list:
1. Kevin Ollie
2. Luke Walton
-The rest of them = ?
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:07 am

Bay Area news is reporting about Luke's possible candidacy for the Lakers' open spot. What is Luke's pedigree that would put him over the top? Lute Olson? Kobe? Kerr? His pops? The 24-win streak? It would be a great look and maybe a great fit, but it can't be for show.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:09 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Bay Area news is reporting about Luke's possible candidacy for the Lakers' open spot. What is Luke's pedigree that would put him over the top? Lute Olson? Kobe? Kerr? His pops? The 24-win streak? It would be a great look and maybe a great fit, but it can't be for show.

Not sure how Good he will be but IMO he along with Ollie would be our best options. They both played in the league, are young, and can relate to the young player in today's game very well. Bill Walton said Luke should take the job per ESPN. I would rather have Ollie but will be fine with Luke.
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:12 pm

Luke reminds me of a Brad Stevens type. He will get his players to give 100% every night IMO and I also think he would have more input on how he wants his Roster than Byron had, JMO. Brad Stevens has his type of Roster except the 1 SuperStar he needs basically and the Celtics are at least a Playoff team for the 2nd season in a row.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:28 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:Bill Walton said Luke should take the job per ESPN.

You left out the word "NOT."
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:18 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:Bill Walton said Luke should take the job per ESPN.

You left out the word "NOT."

Thanks, I type too fast sometimes and didn't even proof read it. Yes Bill said don't take it. See nobody loves us LOL. That's why I typed after I would rather have Ollie. I would rather have Ollie anyway but he probably wont want to Coach us either. I say GO LIEBERMAN!
3Peatkb24

Next

Return to LakerTalk