Saying goodbye to a legend

Saying goodbye to a legend

Postby Lakers4Life » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:31 am

How do you say goodbye to a legend? I've done it before. First with Kareem in 89. Then with Magic in 92. Worthy. Shaq. And now Kobe Bean Bryant.

This is definitely the hardest since Magic announced that he had HIV. Kobe has meant so much to The Laker Nation. He literally gave us his all. He dedicated his life to being the best basketball player that he could be while honoring the iconic Purple & Gold jersey with all of its rich history. Was he perfect? No. Was he the best? Debatable but probably no. But he was ours. He brought great pride to our great franchise. 5 Championships (bringing us 1 behind the hated Celtics)

But now what? With Kobe retiring he's leaving a great big fat question mark over our franchise's future. Now what? He's gave and meant everything to The Lakers these past 10+ years. And there's no clear cut player to pass the torch to. And that makes his goodbye that much more painful.

He's the last great Laker. And he will be missed.

Thank you Kobe for the championships! Thank you for 81! Thank you for not being the most freakish atlhletic basketball player ever yet STILL through your relentless competitive spirit becoming one of the greatest of all time. We lived that hard working under-dog spirit with all your drive through you. Thank you for giving Laker Nation everything you had; your sweat, blood, tears, achilles...

You made it through your 20th season. I hope that you enjoy the memories. We love you. And we're going to miss you. And it's o.k. if you shed a tear or two.

Goodbye to the greatest

MAMBA OUT!!!

FB_IMG_1460498864586.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lakers4Life

Re: Saying goodbye to a legend

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:34 am

Kareem retiring wasn't as difficult for me as I thought it was going to be. By the time his last season rolled in 1989 he was a shell of himself and it was clearly time for him to hang it up. I also think it wasn't that difficult on me because I knew as long as we had Magic and Worthy we would still be great. Magic's HIV retirement in November of 1991 literally took the wind of my sails. I cried and really for the first time in my life didn't want anything to do with Basketball. I was so glad Stern allowed him to play in the All-Star Game in which Magic dominated. After that game it rejuvenated me to watch again and I followed the Playoffs, etc.. Regarding Worthy it was just time for him as well, so I took it ok. Regarding Shaq I was more pissed off the way that went down. I wanted the Lakers to keep both he and Kobe, I knew once Shaq left we would stink or be mediocre at best until Kobe got help and we did for 3 years. Kobe retiring isn't as bad to me as the way Magic went out but it's still depressing and I can see shedding a tear or 2 later on while I think about all the great memories, Championships, etc. with Kobe. What makes it worse is the team is in disarray.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby Lakers4Life » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Lakers4Life

Postby lakerevolution » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:19 pm

So happy for him, he really looks, sounds and seems at peace with himself and everything and DEFINITELY left everything on the court tonight. And we got to see it ALL!!!
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:34 pm

lakerevolution wrote:So happy for him, he really looks, sounds and seems at peace with himself and everything and DEFINITELY left everything on the court tonight. And we got to see it ALL!!!

Yeah when he gave his speech at the end is when I cried a little. He seems content and happy. Now I am watching highlights of him on TV and YouTube.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk