Gm 69: Suns at Lakers GAME THREAD

Re: Gm 69: Suns at Lakers GAME THREAD

Postby Julius Russell » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:05 am

I expect the kids to bounce back next week.

But , why can't Laker fans enjoy the heart of Huertas and Lou and Bass and Nance.

They could be here next season.

Also if we don't get the pick, no biggie
Julius Russell

Postby Lakers4Life » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:29 pm

Julius Russell wrote:I expect the kids to bounce back next week.

But , why can't Laker fans enjoy the heart of Huertas and Lou and Bass and Nance.

Agreed except for that the pick is no biggie. We've only had a top 3 pick a handful of times in our history. And we can't just overpay guys anymore.
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:39 pm

I disagree, keeping the pick is huge. We as fans have to stop saying stuff like not getting big FA's or a Top 5 pick is no big deal. We will never get better if we don't have either with that type of thinking. I personally am sick of losing and we need all the help we can get. Getting the pick can even give us the option to trade it to make the team better too. I am very appreciative of what the Lakers have brought to me as a fan in the past, it's unmatched to what any other sport team could've brought to me in my time watching sports but 3 incredibly rotten seasons in a row is enough and I am far from a spoiled fan or an entitled fan but it's time to start winning come next season. I have given it 3 seasons which is enough to get our plan/act together really without even bitching much compared to 90% of our fanbase so it's time. When do people want us to start winning, the year 2020 LOL. I say winning as just being competitive = .500 ball at least to show we have something building, I am not even talking about being a contender next season to even show how much more patience I have but these 20-62 type bullshit seasons need to stop. Even the Colts here in Indianapolis, since they moved to Indianapolis have only had 1 bad 3 season stretch and that was from 1984-1986 when they first moved here, they made the Playoffs in 1987 and have always been able to avoid being bad for a long period time since 1987. If a team stinks longer than 3 seasons than something is wrong with the franchise, that is keeping it real.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:48 pm

Craig gets my vote. No overpayment for services not yet rendered. Think backwards from 2010. No Kobe anymore.
lakerevolution

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:51 pm

In other words, put your entitlement in a shoe box and label it "AK". After Kobe.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:55 am

By the way my rant has nothing against Robert, I just want to win. I think 3 extremely Bad seasons is enough to sit through and I have had the patience to do so, mainly because of our past in bringing in 10 Championships since I have been watching. Having said that sooner or later being Bad needs to stop. Even in the 90's after Magic retired we at least made the Playoffs every season = 1992-1996 but once before Shaq and Kobe came in the 1997 Season. Any Top pick we can get, we need it or big name FA bring them in because we need it. I never really figured we could totally rebuild until Kobe was off the books and he will be when the season is up. This offseason is either put up or ship out. If we go 20-62 next season, is that really acceptable in anyone's thinking? Just look at what the Celtics are doing again to help fuel your desires. Danny Ainge has made our FO look like Podunk. If Durant went there they would win the East IMO. That is all they lack is a SuperStar. They have a Very Good Coach, compete every night, and several Good players.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:59 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:

I disagree, keeping the pick is huge. We as fans have to stop saying stuff like not getting big FA's or a Top 5 pick is no big deal. We will never get better if we don't have either with that type of thinking. I personally am sick of losing and we need all the help we can get. Getting the pick can even give us the option to trade it to make the team better too. I am very appreciative of what the Lakers have brought to me as a fan in the past, it's unmatched to what any other sport team could've brought to me in my time watching sports but 3 incredibly rotten seasons in a row is enough and I am far from a spoiled fan or an entitled fan but it's time to start winning come next season. I have given it 3 seasons which is enough to get our plan/act together really without even bitching much compared to 90% of our fanbase so it's time. When do people want us to start winning, the year 2020 LOL. I say winning as just being competitive = .500 ball at least to show we have something building, I am not even talking about being a contender next season to even show how much more patience I have but these 20-62 type bullshit seasons need to stop. Even the Colts here in Indianapolis, since they moved to Indianapolis have only had 1 bad 3 season stretch and that was from 1984-1986 when they first moved here, they made the Playoffs in 1987 and have always been able to avoid being bad for a long period time since 1987. If a team stinks longer than 3 seasons than something is wrong with the franchise, that is keeping it real.

Nice rant. Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you, but the beginning of the decade began a perfect storm whereby this was going to be the result. Allow me to recap:

1) Trevor Ariza's agent said "no hometown discount." We show young Trevor the door and sign the older Ron Artest. We win back-to-back and mortgage the future.
2) The payroll is through the roof and Stern's 2011 CBA is designed to "level the playing field" (aka fuck the Lakers.)
3) The Lakers trade Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom for CP3, which is rescinded by Stern after pressure from Dan Gilbert and other small market owners. This trade would have brought us a star in his prime to build around and lowered the payroll, which not hamstrung us for years to come because the new CBA provided little financial flexibility. It also ruined Lamar Odom and Pau Gasol's trade value.
4) The front office valiantly tried to compete for championships by trading for Nash and Howard. For whatever reason, draft picks suddenly became precious commodities even though it makes no sense other than cheap space on rosters. The Howard deal backfired on so many levels, one of them being the perception of the Lakers organization by other players.
5) The FO miscalculated the summer of 2014; Mitch miscalculated the value of cap space (still does).
6) We sign Kobe Bryant to a 2-year, $48 mil contract. Even though there are two sides to this coin (business vs. basketball), what has resulted since then has been disastrous.
7) The front office failed to see the changing landscape. Players don't care where they play as long as they can go to a winner and the "small ball" phase came out of nowhere. Therefore, the Summer of 2014 produced nothing other than Randle who played 14 minutes. The Summer of 2015 was a bit of a step in the right direction even though our record doesn't show that.
8) The future isn't as bright either because the cap space goes up this summer and next summer, so all teams will have money to spend and FAs won't come here.
9) We don't know what the 2017 CBA has in store.

These have not been normal circumstances.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby Julius Russell » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:33 am

Disagree with a couple things there.

Mitch has been smart about the cap space.
Brilliant.

Isiah Thomas would have prevented Russell.

Only thing they have done is lied to fans. Other than that, Lakers doing everything right.

We've only had Shaq join us as a huge FA. Most deals happen in trade and we haven't had assets
Julius Russell

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:33 am

Julius Russell wrote:Disagree with a couple things there.

Mitch has been smart about the cap space.
Brilliant.

Isiah Thomas would have prevented Russell.

Only thing they have done is lied to fans. Other than that, Lakers doing everything right.

We've only had Shaq join us as a huge FA. Most deals happen in trade and we haven't had assets

I'm not blaming the front office. The Kobe situation is unique, so sacrificing a few seasons for what he has done for the Lakers was the right thing to do. Cap space is useless unless players want to come here. Lou Williams, Brandon Bass and Roy Hibbert (albeit that was a smart trade to preserve cap space in case he still sucked) aren't exactly "players." They are flawed dime a dozen types. Starting this summer, EVERYONE will have cap space, so this brilliance you discuss escapes me. It was a lack of vision, but then again how was he supposed to predict a $25B TV deal that would affect revenues to bump up the cap space. Robert, he had the right idea, but thus far it has backfired because players want to go to winners now and the Lakers are losers in their eyes. Instead of wanting to be the next Laker great, they want a ring.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:48 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:

Nice rant. Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you, but the beginning of the decade began a perfect storm whereby this was going to be the result. Allow me to recap:

1) Trevor Ariza's agent said "no hometown discount." We show young Trevor the door and sign the older Ron Artest. We win back-to-back and mortgage the future.
2) The payroll is through the roof and Stern's 2011 CBA is designed to "level the playing field" (aka fuck the Lakers.)
3) The Lakers trade Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom for CP3, which is rescinded by Stern after pressure from Dan Gilbert and other small market owners. This trade would have brought us a star in his prime to build around and lowered the payroll, which not hamstrung us for years to come because the new CBA provided little financial flexibility. It also ruined Lamar Odom and Pau Gasol's trade value.
4) The front office valiantly tried to compete for championships by trading for Nash and Howard. For whatever reason, draft picks suddenly became precious commodities even though it makes no sense other than cheap space on rosters. The Howard deal backfired on so many levels, one of them being the perception of the Lakers organization by other players.
5) The FO miscalculated the summer of 2014; Mitch miscalculated the value of cap space (still does).
6) We sign Kobe Bryant to a 2-year, $48 mil contract. Even though there are two sides to this coin (business vs. basketball), what has resulted since then has been disastrous.
7) The front office failed to see the changing landscape. Players don't care where they play as long as they can go to a winner and the "small ball" phase came out of nowhere. Therefore, the Summer of 2014 produced nothing other than Randle who played 14 minutes. The Summer of 2015 was a bit of a step in the right direction even though our record doesn't show that.
8) The future isn't as bright either because the cap space goes up this summer and next summer, so all teams will have money to spend and FAs won't come here.
9) We don't know what the 2017 CBA has in store.

These have not been normal circumstances.

All great points Ken but I see no excuse for not improving next season with 2 or 3 right moves. Whether or not we make those right moves is up to the FO. Bottomline is we will have a Top 3 pick assuming the pingpong balls don't fuck us and a lot of money to spend. I am not asking for the world as in Playoffs but I want to at least see us moving in a positive direction that shows me we can compete. At 14-55 that is not competing. We are having one of the worse seasons in the history of Basketball and we have stunk for 3 years in a row. For the reasons you Posted I have accepted it but going on year 4 and Kobe being off the books we need to show major improvement IMO.
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:07 pm

3Peatkb24 wrote:
All great points Ken but I see no excuse for not improving next season with 2 or 3 right moves. Whether or not we make those right moves is up to the FO. Bottomline is we will have a Top 3 pick assuming the pingpong balls don't fuck us and a lot of money to spend. I am not asking for the world as in Playoffs but I want to at least see us moving in a positive direction that shows me we can compete. At 14-55 that is not competing. We are having one of the worse seasons in the history of Basketball and we have stunk for 3 years in a row. For the reasons you Posted I have accepted it but going on year 4 and Kobe being off the books we need to show major improvement IMO.

I think we will see some improvement, and I can only hope that is is substantial improvement. That will only happen if somehow we land some marquis players like Hassan Whiteside, for example. Even a guy like Batum would be a nice fit. However, Randle and Russell will NOT be ready for prime time players yet and the free agents know this. I'm going to remain patient for 3 more seasons. I'd like to sniff the playoffs in 2017-18.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:33 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:

I think we will see some improvement, and I can only hope that is is substantial improvement. That will only happen if somehow we land some marquis players like Hassan Whiteside, for example. Even a guy like Batum would be a nice fit. However, Randle and Russell will NOT be ready for prime time players yet and the free agents know this. I'm going to remain patient for 3 more seasons. I'd like to sniff the playoffs in 2017-18.

What I would like to see is, us signing someone like Whiteside and someone like DeRozan and drafting Simmons or Ingram. Then maybe win 37-41 games next season to show major progress. Then in season 17/18 like you said 45-50 wins = sniffing the Playoffs once Russell and Randle enter year 3. I wonder what we are going to do with Clarkson? Do we keep him or trade him?
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:34 am

3Peatkb24 wrote:What I would like to see is, us signing someone like Whiteside and someone like DeRozan and drafting Simmons or Ingram. Then maybe win 37-41 games next season to show major progress. Then in season 17/18 like you said 45-50 wins = sniffing the Playoffs once Russell and Randle enter year 3. I wonder what we are going to do with Clarkson? Do we keep him or trade him?

That would still be a 35 win team AT BEST because of youth, continuity and chemistry issues. As for Clarkson, who knows. I don't know whether he and Russell will develop the chemistry we envision or not. They are both 6'5" combo guards who have similar games to Westbrook (Clarkson) and Harden (Russell), but they won't reach THAT level IMO. Also, it would not shock me if they packaged Randle in a deal given that Larry Nance may very well have a better all around game. It will all depend on the pieces we gather over the next few seasons.
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:36 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
3Peatkb24 wrote:What I would like to see is, us signing someone like Whiteside and someone like DeRozan and drafting Simmons or Ingram. Then maybe win 37-41 games next season to show major progress. Then in season 17/18 like you said 45-50 wins = sniffing the Playoffs once Russell and Randle enter year 3. I wonder what we are going to do with Clarkson? Do we keep him or trade him?

That would still be a 35 win team AT BEST because of youth, continuity and chemistry issues. As for Clarkson, who knows. I don't know whether he and Russell will develop the chemistry we envision or not. They are both 6'5" combo guards who have similar games to Westbrook (Clarkson) and Harden (Russell), but they won't reach THAT level IMO. Also, it would not shock me if they packaged Randle in a deal given that Larry Nance may very well have a better all around game. It will all depend on the pieces we gather over the next few seasons.

You are probably right Ken. I am done predicting .500 type seasons until I see us win in the mid 30's. You said we would stink going into this season and you nailed it.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:01 pm

I think Russ and Randle ARE ready for PTPers (as Dickie V would put it), and I think they'll mesh and gel just like Magic, Kareem, Worthy and Byron did in the 80s and how Shaw, Kobe, Horry and Fox did in the early 2000s. Of course coaching brilliance helps a lot -- once we reach the 35-40 win range it will be a hot topic as to if Byron is the coach to take us back to a playoff contender. The PaperClips have been bent out of shape and will fall back to a 6th seed or worse . . and the league needs a title-contender in Los Angeles. NO, I'm not above accepting SilverStern Illuminati help.
lakerevolution

Previous

Return to LakerTalk