Why isn't Byron Scott fired yet?

Why isn't Byron Scott fired yet?

Postby Lakers4Life » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:51 pm

That's all I got. Please discuss
Lakers4Life

Re: Why isn't Byron Scott fired yet?

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:50 pm

Compared to rubber tree plant D'Ant and empty suit Mike Brown we have at the bare minimum a veteran coach who has been tasked with riding out the worst stretch in Laker history and he knows he may not be around when the team gets good again but at the least he's a connection to the greatest point in Laker history.

Even Coach Phil couldn't get this team an 8th seed.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:40 am

The obvious strategy is to keep him and pray daily for the #1 overall pick in the draft. Candidly, the media blows things out of proportion concerning him. This team would be horrible under any coach, but I get it and I agree that they need to show him the door after the season. With guys like Blatt, Luke and possibly Kevin Ollie available next season, they would be foolish to retain him. These infants will be toddlers next season and they need someone to relate to.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby Lakers4Life » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:06 am

My biggest gripe with one of my favorite Lakers from The Showtime era is how he treats D'Angelo Russell.

Coach Fisher with Porzingas in New York for example already has a defined role and is getting plenty of minutes to develop. And it's paying off. His potential is on full display.

Why isn't Scott following this path? Instead he's mentally fucking with Russell. Which I hope doesn't do permanent damage. Blaming Russell every chance he gets. Doesn't give him a defined role. Starts him. Then benches him. Yanks him in the 4th quarters. Not playing him enough minutes. How's a kid suppose to develop under Scotts bullshit?
Lakers4Life

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:43 am

Lakers4Life wrote:My biggest gripe with one of my favorite Lakers from The Showtime era is how he treats D'Angelo Russell.

Coach Fisher with Porzingas in New York for example already has a defined role and is getting plenty of minutes to develop. And it's paying off. His potential is on full display.

Why isn't Scott following this path? Instead he's mentally fucking with Russell. Which I hope doesn't do permanent damage. Blaming Russell every chance he gets. Doesn't give him a defined role. Starts him. Then benches him. Yanks him in the 4th quarters. Not playing him enough minutes. How's a kid suppose to develop under Scotts bullshit?

The difference is that D'Angelo Russell admittedly has never played the point before. It drives me crazy how he typically eats up more than half of the 24 second clock trying to figure things out and then we wind up with a bad shot. Giving him more minutes could actually be detrimental to his growth. Comparing him to Porzingus is unfair because clearly Porzingus came into the league more advanced with a known skill set and a position that fits for him. We should have drafted him. Believe me, he would have had the same experience here as he is having in NY, even with Byron as his coach. I'm not saying that Byron is the right guy for these infants. He is not. I am saying that D'Angelo Russell still has more upside than people are giving him credit for, but his learning curve is also bigger than anyone else's. Same goes for Julius Randle.

Byron is too "old school" for today's NBA-AAU. I hate to admit that, but I now believe it to be true. Others were well ahead of that curve as I chose the patience route. Byron needs to be relieved of his duties, but not now. Give these kids a fresh start next season. Hopefully they will put in a lot of hard work this summer and will have a few more real NBA players around them to boost their games. Kobe is a cartoon at this point, so despite his vast knowledge, he's not the kind of real NBA player I'm talking about. He is also too "old school." Byron is the perfect coach to have for Kobe during this charade. That is his sole purpose and that's OK by me.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby Lakers4Life » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:10 am

KobeMVP888 wrote:
Lakers4Life wrote:My biggest gripe with one of my favorite Lakers from The Showtime era is how he treats D'Angelo Russell.

The difference is that D'Angelo Russell admittedly has never played the point before. It drives me crazy how he typically eats up more than half of the 24 second clock trying to figure things out and then we wind up with a bad shot. Giving him more minutes could actually be detrimental to his growth. Comparing him to Porzingus is unfair because clearly Porzingus came into the league more advanced with a known skill set and a position that fits for him. We should have drafted him. Believe me, he would have had the same experience here as he is having in NY, even with Byron as his coach. I'm not saying that Byron is the right guy for these infants. He is not. I am saying that D'Angelo Russell still has more upside than people are giving him credit for, but his learning curve is also bigger than anyone else's. Same goes for Julius Randle.

Byron is too "old school" for today's NBA-AAU. I hate to admit that, but I now believe it to be true. Others were well ahead of that curve as I chose the patience route. Byron needs to be relieved of his duties, but not now. Give these kids a fresh start next season. Hopefully they will put in a lot of hard work this summer and will have a few more real NBA players around them to boost their games. Kobe is a cartoon at this point, so despite his vast knowledge, he's not the kind of real NBA player I'm talking about. He is also too "old school." Byron is the perfect coach to have for Kobe during this charade. That is his sole purpose and that's OK by me.

Great take Btw Kenny,

Unfortunately in the NBA, the head coach is always the scapegoat whenever a team is losing. So that's obviously unfair. Because any coach would have trouble with this lineup. Even Phil & Pop.

So I guess that I'm more concerned of Scotts coaching style than actually blaming him.

Matter of fact I just watched D'Angelo Russell's post-game interview and he admits that he takes plays off sometimes on defense AND is non-chalant at times on offense. And to his credit he doesn't feed into the media beating of Byron. And even says that he's his biggest critic. And knows when he plays like shit at times.

In saying that Scott isn't the problem. But he still gots to go. He's not necessarily the answer neither.
Lakers4Life

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:32 pm

I feel bad for Byron because he just has a bad Roster. Does anyone think that even Phil Jackson in his prime could Coach this team to 30 wins? They are much worse than I anticipated as I thought they could win 30 or more, hell as usual I had them around .500 thinking Randle would be really good in year 2, Clarky was already Good, and Roy would be solid on Defense, and Kobe would still be Very Good, I knew he wouldn't be Great but I still thought he would be good for few 30 point games. As much as I gripe about Russell I even thought he would at least be Good, didn't expect Great because he's a rookie but he's only been Average so far. Not sure any of this is really Byron's fault.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk