CP3 (Failed) trade revisited 4 years later

Re: CP3 (Failed) trade revisited 4 years later

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:51 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Would any of this - in either scenario - have prevented the Warriors from ascending to their place at the top? Would the talented-but-rudderless Chris Paul and the adequate-but-disappointing Dwight Howard have teamed to become enough of a force to realistically challenge the Spurs, Grizzlies and Thunder? Or was all of this more of a blessing-in-disguise for the Lakers - despite the prolonged hardship it and the lockout/CBA imposed on our franchise? Injuries - most significantly Kobe's - would have de-railed the plan anyway, so it's hard to tell what long-term good a CP3/Dwight/Kobe team would have experienced. Clarkson, Randle, Russell, Nance, Williams - which of them, if not all, would be wearing different jerseys right now? Would Laker fans have learned to cheer and root for Chris and Dwight? Would qualifying for the playoffs as a 5th seed with no realistic shot at the Finals be good enough for Laker Nation?

Perspective. As Tate said, it's impossible to say. The one thing it did do is sap the credibility and attractiveness out of the Lakers organaization, so even though I see few scenarios to suggest that we would have come close to sniffing a chip given the ascent of the Warriors, the steadiness of the Spurs and the LeBrons (regardless of what team he forms wherever he goes). Perhaps the CP3 acquisition teamed with Dwight would have attracted more players, blah, fucking, blah, blah, blah, BUT I think it is a much higher likelihood that the personality/ego clashes among Kobe/CP3/Dwight would have been ruinous. Perhaps CP3 coming alone without Dwight (not that Chris Paul and Kobe wouldn't have clashed) would have accelerated our rebuilding process. I personally think that the best case scenario woud have been CP3 coming alone and building aorund him because we probably would have smelled the playoffs and been closer to where we should be than we are now. Who knows. We'll be back someday though. I am hoping that Kobe's parting gift to us is Ben Simmons, but that's a long shot. You just can't count on that kind of shit.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:48 pm

If Kobe had 2012 hindsight, he may have hung em up and let our retooling begin. His amazing presence has actually held us back but I'm not gonna complain.
lakerevolution

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:32 pm

lakerevolution wrote:If Kobe had 2012 hindsight, he may have hung em up and let our retooling begin. His amazing presence has actually held us back but I'm not gonna complain.

Yep. And the favorite gadget of fans is the old retrospectoscope!
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:21 pm

I think had we got CP3 other stars would've followed over the last 4 years, that's where the deal really hurt us. By not getting him we had no star power other than Kobe and it was an older Kobe. Dwight didn't even want to be in LA.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:24 pm

I look at CP3 and Dwight as Peyton and Malone. Who would they have attracted? I'd rather blood-let than sugar up my bloodstream.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:52 pm

lakerevolution wrote:I look at CP3 and Dwight as Peyton and Malone. Who would they have attracted? I'd rather blood-let than sugar up my bloodstream.

I think CP3 would've attracted quite a few players but not Dwight so I agree with you on 50% of your comment. CP3 was and is a wider known star. The way Dwight left Orlando wasn't smooth, ever since he left Orlando he hasn't been the same player. CP3 is still Very Good and was Great back when we could've had him.
3Peatkb24

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:51 pm

When Pau sonned Chris Paul on the head, I knew it wasn't meant to be. And don't get me started on Dwight. I wonder why he hasn't appeared in a commercial with a dress and lipstick like DeAndre did.
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:57 pm

lakerevolution wrote:When Pau sonned Chris Paul on the head, I knew it wasn't meant to be. And don't get me started on Dwight. I wonder why he hasn't appeared in a commercial with a dress and lipstick like DeAndre did.

LOL, what is funny is he and DeAndre are made of the same DNA it seems. Don't worry Dwight will put his dress on soon for a commercial :waaaaa:
3Peatkb24

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:40 am

tate793 wrote:The enigma to me is the rudderless (as Rev put it) of CP3 (gotta take another look at Doc) as well as the rudderless KD. CP3, DJ and Blake are just about level with Russell, KD and Serge Ibaka. Why neither team can get over the hump is a real head-scratcher. The dispatching of Josh Smith, the dispatching of James Harden, were both questionable moves by questionable FOs. The Blips did have the considerable distraction of Donald "lpmua6" Sterling. But there's no excuse for what happened in OKC. Manu Ginobili has thrived coming off the bench. Was he ever a better fit than anyone else in the starting lineup? Possibly. But, he worked well in that role. Harden would be a lot closer to a ring in OKC that he will ever be in Houston.

The downfall of Dallas, Memphis and Houston is incredulous as well. Just looking at tonight's stats. It baffles me how a behemoth of a man (7'1' 255 lbs) can play 32 minutes, have only 2 rebounds. No foul trouble (1).

Teams are getting to be a outta hand as some members of LE. The unceremonious dismissals of Mark Jackson, Tom Thibodeau and David Blatt doesn't float with the simple explanation of "...It's a business..." Makes one wonder who is next. The size of the egos in professional sports is astounding. From the owners, the coaches to the players, agents and, finally, the fans.

\

Tate, the biggest problem OKC has had is untimely injuries. They have made a Finals so they have at least won the Conference. There is no excuse though for not trying to find a way to keep Harden. Had they kept the bearded man they would've been stacked. The Clippers have no excuse for their puzzling Playoff losses. CP3, Blake, DeAndre, Redick, Crawford, etc.. have always been healthy during their runs and they haven't even made a Final 4. Hell they even have the GREAT Doc Coaching and still didn't go far last season.
3Peatkb24

Previous

Return to LakerTalk