Halftime Thoughts

Halftime Thoughts

Postby KobeMVP888 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:32 am

I recall TrueFan used to complain that the "practice season" or "long 82" should have been reduced to 60 some odd games for a variety of reasons that we have hashed over year after year. This season, I would prefer the long 82 to start right now. Randle needs more than another 41 games. Russell needs more. Anthony Brown needs more. Even Clarkson and Nance could use some more, although it is clear that they are understanding the NBA game the best of our young core.

HAVING SAID THAT, this has obviously been a mostly cringeworthy first half, exposing our doubts about our 2 really high picks over the past two seasons, but unquestionably keeping us optimistic about their futures. To me, The Kobe Show is just that. While it is certainly enjoyable to see the fans around the league appreciate the greatness that we have appreciated for 20 years every game he has played, that means nothing to me. The future is what matters to me and how quickly it is going to come. In that regard, we have finally turned a corner despite our record. We finally have potentially legitimate young talent and more cap space than ever before. Now if we can only figure out a way to attract some top free agents in here or trade for a marquis player who not only wants out, but insists on wearing the Purple & Gold. He will come.

Yet I digress ...

With respect to our #2 pick, there is no question that his confidence is growing, that he is improving and that he is making better decisions at both ends of the floor (although he needs to stop ball watching so much on defense). He will develop a lights out 3 point shot and become an elite point guard in this league. I wish he had more than 41 more games to continue that upward trajectory. Julius Randle's confidence, on the other hand, has taken a big hit. He is loaded with talent, but other than hitting the glass like few others in this league, every other aspect of his game has gotten worse, with the possible exception of his play making, which is important. While it is true that he needs the 6 month summer to work on his game, he could also use some more practice season games. Of course, the term "practice season" takes on an entirely different meaning this season because Anthony Brown, whose game excites me, obviously can also use more game practice.

The first 41 also has shown us what we already knew. Sacre, Kelly and Nick Young need to be shown the door. The most puzzling thing about Byron Scott to me is why he allows Tarik Black to rot on the bench. He proved last season that he belongs in this league and last night he shook off some rust and proved it again. Lou's a keeper and I could care less about Brandon Bass.

The trade deadline is right around the corner. Can any of you contenders use a stiff? "lol4:

I'll be right here for the next 41 mi amigos and may or may not be in my seat for Kobe's last game. After all, every man has his price.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Halftime Thoughts

Postby lakerevolution » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:04 am

I was in total "agreeance" about everything you said UNTIL the "dump Sacre" part. He clearly brings our team that missing ingredient that only players like Luke Walton, D.J. Mbenga and Adam Morrison have been able to provide us in the past. Losing him would be a blow to overall team psyche from which we may not recover.
lakerevolution

Re: Halftime Thoughts

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:51 am

Hard to believe we are halfway done with this season. 41 games in. This season is flying by! So far through 41 games I have seen Russell show improvements. As critical as I have been of him he has got better but still isn't better than Clarkson IMO, maybe it will take him this last half of the season to get to Clarkson's level. Being the #2 pick in the Draft he needs to get to Lillard level at worse by next season. Randle to me has been disappointing, I thought his Offensive game would be much better by now. His Rebounding is Good but his Defensive and Offensive game are Average at best. He isn't doing anything Jordan Hill didn't do for us last season. In other words we can get a lot of PF's that can give us 10/10. Nance has been a pleasant surprise, he and Clarkson are our 2 best players IMO. Nance brings it every night and so does Clarkson. Clarkson is excellent trade bait if we wanted to go that way but I am not sure that wouldn't be a mistake if we traded him. If we trade him we need to get a Big that is Good like an Okafor or package him with Randle for maybe Cousins for example who is a Very Good player. Our Free Agency pickup's haven't been good except for Lou Williams, Lou is Good but Bass and Hibbert are way too inconsistent. I agree with Ken that Black should get more playing time. 9-32 at the midway point so not much else to say other than these are Kobe's last days so lets just enjoy that.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk