Game 17: 01/23/21 Lakers at Bulls GAME THREAD

Game 17: 01/23/21 Lakers at Bulls GAME THREAD

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:53 am

(12-4) LAKERS AT BULLS (7-8)

Saturday, January 23, 2021, 6:00 PM PDT
United Center - Chicago, IL

Referees: Rodney Mott (#71), Brent Barnaky (#36), Simone Jelks (#81)

Replay Center: Derrick Collins, David Guthrie, Haywoode Workman

Line: Lakers -9
O/U: 229

National TV: NBA League Pass only
Local TV: Spectrum SportsNet

GAME PREVIEW: LAKERS AT BULLS

by NBA.com

The Los Angeles Lakers will look to improve on their 8-0 road record when they oppose the Chicago Bulls on Saturday night.

The defending-champion Lakers have won six of their past seven games and sit tied atop the Western Conference standings at 12-4 along with the Los Angeles Clippers. They earned a 113-106 road win over the Milwaukee Bucks on Thursday before making the quick trip south to Chicago.

LeBron James scored 34 points on 13-of-25 shooting in the victory, and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope added 23 points on 7-of-10 shooting, all from 3-point range.

Before preparing for the Bulls, James deflected questions about winning the one-on-one matchup against the Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo.

"I think all of you guys know me, it's never been about individual (accolades)," James said. "It's all about the team success, and that's all that matters. I can care less about that. I just try to play well and help our team win versus any opponent, and that's what it's all about."

Now comes the Lakers' next test.

Chicago (7-8) climbed within one game of .500 after holding on for a 123-110 road win over the Charlotte Hornets on Friday night. Zach LaVine scored a team-high 25 points on 8-of-12 shooting for the Bulls while Lauri Markkanen added 23 points on 10-of-17 shooting.

Coby White contributed 18 points and eight assists for Chicago, and veteran role player Garrett Temple added 15 points off the bench.

"(It's) a little bit of me just understanding, over the last three years, that you can't do it by yourself," LaVine said. "I think I took a step in the right direction in the offseason by looking at how I can help my teammates better and trusting (them). Having guys healthy helps a lot.

"I'm just trying to read the game. We're creating a lot of open shots, so it's been good."

The Saturday contest will be the second meeting between the teams this season. The Bulls visited Los Angeles on Jan. 8, when the Lakers held on for a 117-115 victory behind 28 points from James.

Dennis Schroder and Montrezl Harrell added 17 points apiece that day for the Lakers, who won their lone matchup against the Bulls in the 2019-20 season.

LaVine led the Bulls with a game-high 38 points on 14-for-22 shooting, including 4-for-7 from beyond the arc.

Despite the Lakers' perfect road mark, coach Frank Vogel was not satisfied after the win over the Bucks.

"We have to play better," he said. "We didn't play our best basketball (against Milwaukee)."

Anthony Davis could help the Lakers achieve their goal. He registered 18 points and nine rebounds in the Lakers' most recent contest, and he will look to make a bigger impact in his hometown of Chicago.

The 27-year-old played at Perspectives Charter School on the city's south side before heading to Kentucky to play for John Calipari.

Davis has described Chicago as the "Mecca of basketball."

"I mean, it is," Davis said. "We've got the best basketball players ever. You look at the history with all the guys we've got that made the league and even the guys that didn't make the league. They say New York, but it's not even close."

--Field Level Media

https://www.nba.com/game/lal-vs-chi-0022000245
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Re: Game 17: 01/23/21 Lakers at Bulls GAME THREAD

Postby lakerevolution » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:32 pm

Well, after piling on the 3s against Milwaukee, we went 4-19 from downtown vs. the Bulls - AD had two of them - but our defense (and crappy play by Chicago) opened up a HUGE first half lead and we just cruised. Schroeder, KCP and Kuz had sub-par nights but with LeBron, Harrell and THT chipping in to assist AD, this game was truly a practice scrimmage. 9-0 on the road!
lakerevolution

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:30 am

We were up 30 at halftime, this game was over at half. I would've left and went to Hooters for the 2nd half and got me some wings and beer :waaaaa: . 13-4 now on the season. It is great to be back on top again.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Postby KobeMVP888 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:11 pm

lakerevolution wrote:Well, after piling on the 3s against Milwaukee, we went 4-19 from downtown vs. the Bulls - AD had two of them - but our defense (and crappy play by Chicago) opened up a HUGE first half lead and we just cruised. Schroeder, KCP and Kuz had sub-par nights but with LeBron, Harrell and THT chipping in to assist AD, this game was truly a practice scrimmage. 9-0 on the road!

Obviously, Frank Vogel treated this as a practice scrimmage as he fully intended to give THT rotation minutes in front of his hometown CROWD! So sad. It will be nice to be back to "normal" for the 2021-22 season. I think we're going to own the two "Bubble" championships.
I LOVE BASKETBALL! GO LAKERS! #18 COMIN' UP STRONG!!! TOO EASY, JUST WAAAAY TOO EASY!!!!! NEXT! :rollyellow:
KobeMVP888

Postby 3Peatkb24 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:26 pm

KobeMVP888 wrote:
lakerevolution wrote:Well, after piling on the 3s against Milwaukee, we went 4-19 from downtown vs. the Bulls - AD had two of them - but our defense (and crappy play by Chicago) opened up a HUGE first half lead and we just cruised. Schroeder, KCP and Kuz had sub-par nights but with LeBron, Harrell and THT chipping in to assist AD, this game was truly a practice scrimmage. 9-0 on the road!

Obviously, Frank Vogel treated this as a practice scrimmage as he fully intended to give THT rotation minutes in front of his hometown CROWD! So sad. It will be nice to be back to "normal" for the 2021-22 season. I think we're going to own the two "Bubble" championships.

Yep it may be bubble city again, that is ok but I wish things would get back to normal. It may not for a long while unfortunately. A Championship is a Championship though IMO, you still have to beat a lot of good to great teams to get it. As of now I would take the Lakers and give someone the field if they wanted to bet on who wins it all.
4 best Titles- 1988 Repeat Lakers/2002 3Peat Lakers/2006 Colts/2016 Cubs
3Peatkb24

Return to LakerTalk